WORKDAY FUNCTION

Ek...@officeformac.com

Jan 23, 2008, 11:23:25 AM1/23/08
Hi,
I have a problem with WORKDAY function on Office 2008. Strangely, it assumes the weekend as Friday and saturday, so for instance today is Wednesday 23/01/08, if I type =workday(today();2), the result is 27/01/08, wich is sunday, instead of being 25/01/08, Friday.
I've already tried with different international formats, on the system preferences, but I get always the same error.

anyone can help me?

Thanks

JE McGimpsey

Jan 23, 2008, 12:11:37 PM1/23/08
In article <ee8a1...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Ek...@officeformac.com
wrote:

> Hi, <br>

> I have a problem with WORKDAY function on Office 2008. Strangely, it assumes
> the weekend as Friday and saturday, so for instance today is Wednesday
> 23/01/08, if I type =workday(today();2), the result is 27/01/08, wich is

> sunday, instead of being 25/01/08, Friday. <br>

> I've already tried with different international formats, on the system

> preferences, but I get always the same error. <br><br>anyone can help me?

This is a bug. I've just reported it - please do the same via Help/Send
Feedback!

WORKDAY() will work correctly if you change the date system to the 1900
system (Preferences/Calculation, uncheck the 1904 date system checkbox).

That, of course, will change any fixed dates by 4 years and a day. You
can convert those dates back by

1) Put the number 1462 in an empty cell
2) Copy the cell
3) Select the cells with your date(s)
4) Choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and
Add radio buttons.

JE McGimpsey

Jan 23, 2008, 3:19:08 PM1/23/08
In article <jemcgimpsey-1A89...@news.microsoft.com>,
JE McGimpsey <jemcg...@mvps.org> wrote:

> This is a bug. I've just reported it - please do the same via Help/Send
> Feedback!
>
> WORKDAY() will work correctly if you change the date system to the 1900
> system (Preferences/Calculation, uncheck the 1904 date system checkbox).
>
> That, of course, will change any fixed dates by 4 years and a day. You
> can convert those dates back by
>
> 1) Put the number 1462 in an empty cell
> 2) Copy the cell
> 3) Select the cells with your date(s)
> 4) Choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and
> Add radio buttons.

Further info:

NOTE THAT THE SAME TYPE OF BUG APPEARS TO EXIST IN WINDOWS EXCEL 2007.

The WORKDAY() function which used to be in the ATP, and is implemented
in XL08 as a built-in function, has a bug with at least two significant
consequences.

1) If a zero is entered in the "days" parameter (and the date is a
weekday), the result is 4 years and 1 day off (i.e., the difference
between the WinXL default 1900 date system, and the MacXL default 1904
date system). So for XL08

=WORKDAY(TODAY(), 0)

for today, 23 January 2008, returns 22 January 2004

2) WORKDAY() by design skips weekends - Saturdays and Sundays. In XL08,
the days skipped appear to be Friday and Saturday instead. This is
undoubtedly related to (1) above, and would be a natural consequence of
calculating using the 1900 date system rather than the 1904 system.

WORKDAY() in XL08 appears to work correctly if the workbook is using the
1900 date system.