Where Does Entourage Store Files that Have Been Moved "On My Computer?"

Glenn Beckmann

Aug 20, 2009, 10:37:36 AM8/20/09
Good morning,

Our IT dept and I have been struggling with this one for a while.. I use Entourage 2008 and our company uses an Exchange Server. I have regularly (manually) moved emails from my Entourage Folders on the server to folders I’ve created On My Computer.

A couple of months ago, my hard drive went kablooey. We recovered all of the data from the hard drive but we cannot recover all of the emails that had been stored in the folders under  On My Computer.

Are these old, archived emails accessible still? If so, how?

I’m currently using a MacBook Pro, running 10.5.8.

TIA.

Glenn

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Aug 20, 2009, 11:02:33 AM8/20/09
Glenn Beckmann <gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com> wrote:

> Good morning,

Hi Glenn,

> Our IT dept and I have been struggling with this one for a while.. I use
> Entourage 2008 and our company uses an Exchange Server. I have regularly
> (manually) moved emails from my Entourage Folders on the server to folders
> I've created On My Computer.
>
> A couple of months ago, my hard drive went kablooey. We recovered all of the
> data from the hard drive but we cannot recover all of the emails that had
> been stored in the folders under On My Computer.
>
> Are these old, archived emails accessible still? If so, how?

Sure, they are stored in the Entourage identity itself.
It's in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities

You can move the whole folder to the same location from the backups for
instance and it should all be there.

Corentin

--
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Glenn Beckmann

Aug 20, 2009, 12:25:51 PM8/20/09
Thanks Corentin.

> Sure, they are stored in the Entourage identity itself.
> It's in ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities
>
> You can move the whole folder to the same location from the backups for
> instance and it should all be there.
>
> Corentin

We've tried that but when we open the (old) Identities file, my current
identity and database is used (including all of the new folders I've created
On My Computer). I tried replacing the new identity with the old identity,
renaming the old identity to my new identity and it always opens up in
Entourage as my new identity.

I guess there's no way to actually access the old On My Computer files
directly?

Glenn

On 8/20/09 10:02 AM, in article
1j4qukl.1los0gztcdn57N%korve...@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Aug 20, 2009, 1:38:13 PM8/20/09
Glenn Beckmann <gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com> wrote:

> We've tried that but when we open the (old) Identities file, my current
> identity and database is used (including all of the new folders I've created
> On My Computer). I tried replacing the new identity with the old identity,
> renaming the old identity to my new identity and it always opens up in
> Entourage as my new identity.

I thought you wanted to replace one with the other.

> I guess there's no way to actually access the old On My Computer files
> directly?

Well you should be able to switchbetween identities using the command in
the Entourage menu. It should list all available identities there and
you could go back and forth between them,

Diane Ross

Aug 20, 2009, 3:13:05 PM8/20/09
On 8/20/09 9:25 AM, in article C6B2E33F.640A%gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com,
"Glenn Beckmann" <gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com> wrote:

> We've tried that but when we open the (old) Identities file, my current
> identity and database is used (including all of the new folders I've created
> On My Computer). I tried replacing the new identity with the old identity,
> renaming the old identity to my new identity and it always opens up in
> Entourage as my new identity.

How were you trying to open the old Identities? Did you use "Switch
Identities" under Entourage in the Menu bar?

Each Identity contains several files, but the database file is the one that
holds your data. You can check the date created and date modified along with
the size of the database to understand which database contains your oldest
data.

~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main
Identity/database

It's possible when your drive went kablooey, your Identity was either lost
forever by the Finder or it was put in an invisible folder called 'lost &
found'. Some virus software will also make the Identity invisible if it
detects a virus. My guess is it went poof.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/user_exp.html#user1>

If you didn't have a backup of your Identity folder, then use this
experience to create a backup strategy. Start with the links listed here:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/articles/backup_articles.html>

Tip: MBOX files are great ways to store mail because it can be used by any
email client on both the Mac and PC. They are easy to create...just drag a
folder to the desktop. The negative is you have to import back into an
Identity to view.

Hope this helps!

--
Diane

Glenn Beckmann

Aug 20, 2009, 7:07:52 PM8/20/09
OK... That's pretty slick. I hadn't learned the "Switch Identities" trick.
That worked, but...
The archive folders I had created in my old identity (pre-kablooey) On My
Computer were not there.

Any ideas where they might be?

I hear ya about the backup strategy Diane. Speaking of.... Is there a way to
take all of my archive folders I've created On My Computer and back them up?
So far, everything I've found is for archiving emails/folders still on the
Entourage server.

And... I really don't want to drag folders manually one at a time to my
desktop.

Thanks for all the help. I got further today than I have in two months.

Glenn

On 8/20/09 2:13 PM, in article C6B2EE51.22B57%Entour...@gmail.com,

Diane Ross

Aug 21, 2009, 1:45:09 AM8/21/09
On 8/20/09 4:07 PM, in article C6B34178.6461%gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com,
"Glenn Beckmann" <gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com> wrote:

> OK... That's pretty slick. I hadn't learned the "Switch Identities" trick.
> That worked, but...
> The archive folders I had created in my old identity (pre-kablooey) On My
> Computer were not there.
>
> Any ideas where they might be?

You can try searching for "Main Identity" or "Microsoft User Data folder" or
"Office 2008 Identities folder."

> I hear ya about the backup strategy Diane. Speaking of.... Is there a way to
> take all of my archive folders I've created On My Computer and back them up?
> So far, everything I've found is for archiving emails/folders still on the
> Entourage server.

That's all in the link backup articles.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/articles/backup_articles.html>

> And... I really don't want to drag folders manually one at a time to my
> desktop.

There is a script that will do that for you.

Export folders as MBOX files (includes subfolders)
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/downloads/scripts/jolly/Make_MBOX.zip>

Exporting as .rge will do it too.

--
Diane

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Aug 21, 2009, 1:49:16 PM8/21/09
Glenn Beckmann <gbec...@SCHUTT-SPORTS.com> wrote:

> The archive folders I had created in my old identity (pre-kablooey) On My
> Computer were not there.
>
> Any ideas where they might be?

I've never seen an identity that would open without ann On My Computer
section.

It has to be there on the bottom of the list.

> I hear ya about the backup strategy Diane. Speaking of.... Is there a way to
> take all of my archive folders I've created On My Computer and back them up?
> So far, everything I've found is for archiving emails/folders still on the
> Entourage server.

As Diane said, all you have to do then is to export in an Entourage .rge
archive,