Entourage & Exchange

bob...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2007, 8:28:42 AM9/25/07
Press releases seem to say Office 2008 / Entourage Student Edition
won't support Exchange mail. Is that a take-away from 2004?? My
kids are at a SUNY school that uses Exchange mail, and the ONLY
recommended client for Mac users is Entourage 2004 - - - - they can't
seem to get it to work with MacMail. If we 'upgrade' to 2008 will we
lose mail support??

Uh oh.

Bob H.

Mickey Stevens

Sep 25, 2007, 6:24:00 PM9/25/07
You'll need to get the regular version or the Special Media Edition. If the
Exchange Server is set up to allow IMAP access, you may be able to retrieve
your mail that way within Entourage in the Home & Student Edition. However,
that won't give you access to other Exchange features like contacts/events,
the Global Address Book, etc.

On 9/25/07 7:28 AM, in article
1190723322....@n39g2000hsh.googlegroups.com, "bob...@gmail.com"
<bob...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
Office & Mac Resources: <http://home.earthlink.net/~mickey.stevens/>

William Smith

Sep 30, 2007, 2:02:37 PM9/30/07
Mickey Stevens wrote:
> You'll need to get the regular version or the Special Media Edition. If the
> Exchange Server is set up to allow IMAP access, you may be able to retrieve
> your mail that way within Entourage in the Home & Student Edition. However,
> that won't give you access to other Exchange features like contacts/events,
> the Global Address Book, etc.

Adding to Mickey's comments:

This will affect a lot of institutions. They have until January to work
out the licensing with Microsoft and this may be something already in
the works. You'll need to contact your institution and make your voice
heard about this issue.

One thing to note is that the Home & Student version of Office 2007 for
Windows does not include Outlook. Your institution will have already had
to deal with issue, which is essentially the same as this.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>

Jolly Roger

Sep 30, 2007, 4:50:44 PM9/30/07
On 2007-09-25 07:28:42 -0500, bob...@gmail.com said:

> Press releases seem to say Office 2008 / Entourage Student Edition

> won't support Exchange mail. If we 'upgrade' to 2008 will we
> lose mail support??

Not if you upgrade to a non-studenmt edition with Exchange support. : )

--
Please let me know if you send email to this address so that I can be
sure your email doesn't get eaten by pobox.com's ultra-aggressive SPAM

Help improve Usenet:

* Learn proper Usenet etiquette: http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
* Kill-file Google Groups: http://improve-usenet.org/

JR

Unknown

Jan 15, 2008, 4:53:44 PM1/15/08
For the second time I accept an update proposed by entourage automatically and then lose all my emails and contacts.

Others have seem problem? If so, weshould all stop buying microsoft products?

Unknown

Jan 15, 2008, 8:01:53 PM1/15/08
We have a bunch of Mac and PC users connected to Exchange Server 2003 - will we be able to use Entourage 2008 with Exchange 2003?

William Smith

Jan 15, 2008, 10:59:26 PM1/15/08
> We have a bunch of Mac and PC users connected to Exchange Server 2003 -
> will we be able to use Entourage 2008 with Exchange 2003?

Have a look at "How Entourage 2008 works with different versions of
Exchange Server" on Mactopia
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/itpros/default.mspx?MODE=ct&CTT=PageView&clr=99-15-0&target=5dc552e3-ea74-4bba-a647-afaabe7dee531033>.
It compares using Entourage 2008 with Exchange Server 2003 and 2007.

Unknown

Jan 16, 2008, 9:13:22 AM1/16/08
Does Entourage 2008 connect to Exchange servers the same way Outlook does? As a consultant I travel to a different corporate offices and often find that most of the Apple compatibility features in Exchange have been disabled for security reasons. As a result I can't get Entourage to work with Exchange. However the old Mac OS 9 version of Outlook would work.

Does Entourage 2008 now have feature parity with Outlook?

Thanks,
Jason

Adam Bailey

Jan 16, 2008, 9:41:03 AM1/16/08
Jason Hawke <> wrote:
> Does Entourage 2008 connect to Exchange servers the same way Outlook does?

No, Entourage uses WebDAV over HTTP, Outlook typically uses MAPI. (I'm
simplifying.) This is technically irrelevant as WebDAV is capable of most,
if not all, of the same features - but there are design and development
decisions in what features Entourage will and will not (yet) support.

More information about this can be found at:
http://www.entourage.mvps.org/articles/entourage.html

> As a consultant I travel to a different corporate offices and often find
> that most of the Apple compatibility features in Exchange have been
> disabled for security reasons.

As long as the Exchange server is not ancient and supports Outlook Web
Access, which most do, it should work fine with Entourage. Many of the
so-called security reasons turn out to be misunderstandings of how Exchange
(and security) works and general laziness by IT folks.

--
Adam Bailey | Chicago, Illinois
ad...@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP & S/MIME

Unknown

Jan 16, 2008, 12:11:43 PM1/16/08
having purchased the Home and student edition and needing access to exchange servers to access mail, how do I go about upgrading my office.

Diane Ross

Jan 16, 2008, 10:25:29 PM1/16/08
On 1/16/08 9:11 AM, in article ee7c...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "" <>
wrote:

> having purchased the Home and student edition and needing access to exchange
> servers to access mail, how do I go about upgrading my office.

AFAIK, there is no upgrade when you buy the Home & Student version. You
would need to go back to the store you purchased and ask if they would do an
exchange for you.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>

Unknown

Jan 17, 2008, 3:31:09 AM1/17/08
WebDAV over HTTP, does that mean that a "RPC over HTTPS" configuration will be supported?

Unknown

Jan 17, 2008, 5:34:56 AM1/17/08
No WebDAV is not RPC over http(s).

Andy Ruff

Jan 17, 2008, 8:48:05 AM1/17/08
to af
RPC/HTTP gets your Exchange data without needing to VPN. This is something
Entourage has supported since 2004. The acronyms/protocol used are
irrelevant for the scenarios you use them.

-Andy

Andy Ruff
Lead Program Manager, Entourage
Microsoft Corporation

On 1/17/08 12:31 AM, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "af"

Unknown

Jan 17, 2008, 10:29:34 AM1/17/08
The results of RPC over http is similar to WebDAV. Mobile users can get the Exchange mail even when they are off the LAN remotely if the server and clients are configured properly (and its allowed by IT) and the proper network infrastructure is in place.

William Smith

Jan 17, 2008, 5:13:24 PM1/17/08
af wrote:
> WebDAV over HTTP, does that mean that a "RPC over HTTPS" configuration
> will be supported?

Details for using WebDAV over HTTP here:
<http://entourage.mvps.org/exchange/exchangeathome.html>.

Hope this helps!

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>

Unknown

Jan 17, 2008, 8:15:37 PM1/17/08
I made the unhappy mistake of buying the Home/Student Edition today thinking Entourage's Exchange limitations were the same as the previous versions, not removed entirely!

I am happy to connect to my institution's Exchange setup with IMAP, but my real problem is accessing an additional mailbox that I have now been cut off from. Is there any way to access this with IMAP (in Outlook you would use the 'Add mailbox' option)?

Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Adam Bailey

Jan 17, 2008, 9:02:56 PM1/17/08
Jeffrey Byrne <> wrote:
> I made the unhappy mistake of buying the Home/Student Edition today
> thinking Entourage's Exchange limitations were the same as the previous
> versions, not removed entirely! <br><br>I am happy to connect to my

> institution's Exchange setup with IMAP, but my real problem is accessing
> an additional mailbox that I have now been cut off from. Is there any way
> to access this with IMAP (in Outlook you would use the 'Add mailbox'
> option)? <br><br>Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Add the other mailbox as another account, either as an IMAP account or an
Exchange account (depending on the particulars of your server). Tools >
Accounts.

William Smith

Jan 17, 2008, 9:27:53 PM1/17/08

If the second account was a delegated account that you accessed through
your personal Exchange account then you will not be able to connect. You
may have to connect to the second account as an IMAP account as well if
you are allowed. Otherwise, you'll need to acquire the standard version
or higher of Office 2008.

Unknown

Jan 18, 2008, 1:49:12 PM1/18/08
Was able to connect to the other mailbox via IMAP. Thanks very much for everyone's advice!

Unknown

Jan 18, 2008, 5:50:02 PM1/18/08
Does the 2008 regular version work as an upgrade to the 2004 Student Edition to be able to keep exchange?

William Smith

Jan 18, 2008, 10:14:50 PM1/18/08
Mark wrote:
> Does the 2008 regular version work as an upgrade to the 2004 Student
> Edition to be able to keep exchange?

Office 2004 Student & Teacher edition is not eligible for upgrades
unless is was purchased during the Super Suite Deal promotion period,
which was November 1, 2007 through January 14, 2008.

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/supersuitedeal/default.mspx>

Otherwise, you'll need to purchase a full version of any Office 2008
product.

Unknown

Jan 19, 2008, 3:41:41 AM1/19/08
... when you go with Client-Server solutions that don't go with Open Standards.

For those who have the choice, I would recommend looking at architectures that focus on Open Standards, Clients of choice, etc. In this particular area, this would point to server solutions using IMAP, CalDAV, LDAP and related interfaces. Not completely without own interest, for a server being able to replace Exchange under such circumstances, you may want to have a look at http://www.scalix.com - CalDAV is supported by Apple's own iCal.app client in Leopard, and for those on the move, an integrated Web client based on AJAX that looks good on IE *and* Firefox is available, too.

While Exchange is the clear market leader, this shows where things go when you lock yourself in.

Cheers,
Florian

Unknown

Jan 19, 2008, 3:04:16 PM1/19/08
When I try to sync everything, Entourage takes my contacts but wont take the info from my iCal calendars. Why

Unknown

Jan 19, 2008, 3:34:09 PM1/19/08
I "upgraded" from 2004 Student to 2008 Student, only to find I am now shut off from my email at school. To my apparently unsophisticated mind, "Microsoft Exchange Server Support" did not imply a client-side limitation that would be a back-step in functionality. Now, I can't even return the software, because it has been opened, so I am stuck.. stuck... stuck. The "Terms of Use" prevent me from speaking freely here, but I can definitely say that I think Microsoft has done a bad thing here.

FIG Technologies

Jan 19, 2008, 5:53:38 PM1/19/08
I’m having the same issue. I’ve set the sync up through pocket Mac which I understand has issues syncing directly with Entourage 2008 so I set my blackberry to sync with ical and iaddressbook etc and then set Entourage to sync with the ical/iaddressbook etc. All works well for the iaddressbook but it won’t sync up the ical which makes the nifty new feature in Entourage (forget what it’s called) of seeing your calendar for the day on the desktop useless.

If anyone knows why this happens or a workaround post please.

Unknown

Jan 19, 2008, 10:42:06 PM1/19/08
Will Entourage 2008 be able to forward gif files and not lose their animation?

William Smith

Jan 19, 2008, 11:49:58 PM1/19/08
wrote:

> Will Entourage 2008 be able to forward gif files and not lose their
> animation?

You can forward gif files you receive only if you use the Forward as
Attachment command and not the Forward command. "Forward" will only send
a still image of any animated gif.

Please be sure to let Microsoft know you'd like to see this behavior
changed in future versions by using the Help --> Send Feedback mechanism
in any Office application.

Michel Bintener

Jan 20, 2008, 6:08:24 AM1/20/08

the Home & Student edition of Office 2008 does not contain Exchange
support; you'll need either the Standard or Special Media editions for
this. It is of course a shame that you can't return the product anymore,
but in all fairness, this limitation has been published by many
different sources, not to mention by Microsoft itself.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP

***Always reply to the newsgroup.***

Michel Bintener

Jan 20, 2008, 6:09:52 AM1/20/08
See here:

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/01/calendar_synching_between_entourage_and_ical.html>

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:Mac (Entourage & Word)

***Always reply to the newsgroup.***

Linotype

Jan 20, 2008, 10:14:41 AM1/20/08
On Jan 19, 10:49 pm, William Smith <meckli...@REM0VETH1S.comcast.net>
wrote:

>   wrote:
> > Will Entourage 2008 be able to forward gif files and not lose their
> > animation?
>
> You can forward gif files you receive only if you use the Forward as
> Attachment command and not the Forward command. "Forward" will only send
> a still image of any animated gif.

My glasses must need replacement because I can not seem to find
"Forward as Attachment" anywhere in the menu bar drop downs or in the
preferences of Entourage X.

Michel Bintener

Jan 20, 2008, 10:38:57 AM1/20/08
Linotype wrote:

> My glasses must need replacement because I can not seem to find
> "Forward as Attachment" anywhere in the menu bar drop downs or in the
> preferences of Entourage X.

Not at all. You asked for Office *2008*, where this option is available
in Entourage's Message menu. It was first introduced in Entourage 2004,
but was never part of Entourage v.X. In that version, you can drag the
e-mail you'd like to forward in its entirety to the desktop and then
drag the resulting .eml file back into the attachment pane of a new mail
message window. That gives you the same result.

Barry Wainwright

Jan 20, 2008, 4:11:55 PM1/20/08
On 20/01/2008 15:38, in article #YWbTq3W...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
"Michel Bintener" <mbin...@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:

> Linotype wrote:
>>
>> My glasses must need replacement because I can not seem to find
>> "Forward as Attachment" anywhere in the menu bar drop downs or in the
>> preferences of Entourage X.
>
> Not at all. You asked for Office *2008*, where this option is available
> in Entourage's Message menu. It was first introduced in Entourage 2004,
> but was never part of Entourage v.X. In that version, you can drag the
> e-mail you'd like to forward in its entirety to the desktop and then
> drag the resulting .eml file back into the attachment pane of a new mail
> message window. That gives you the same result.

No need to go through the desktop - you could drag out of a folder listing
into the attachments pane of a new draft message window.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see <http://www.microsoft.com/mvp/> for details)

Linotype

Jan 20, 2008, 10:16:12 PM1/20/08
On Jan 20, 3:11 pm, Barry Wainwright <ba...@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
> On 20/01/2008 15:38, in article #YWbTq3WIHA.1...@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,

> "Michel Bintener" <mbinte...@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote:
> > Linotype wrote:
>
> >> My glasses must need replacement because I can not seem to find
> >> "Forward as Attachment" anywhere in the menu bar drop downs or in the
> >> preferences of Entourage X.
>
> > Not at all. You asked for Office *2008*, where this option is available
> > in Entourage's Message menu. It was first introduced in Entourage 2004,
> > but was never part of Entourage v.X. In that version, you can drag the
> > e-mail you'd like to forward in its entirety to the desktop and then
> > drag the resulting .eml file back into the attachment pane of a new mail
> > message window. That gives you the same result.
>
> No need to go through the desktop - you could drag out of a folder listing
> into the attachments pane of a new draft message window.
>
> --
> Barry Wainwright
> Microsoft MVP (see <http://www.microsoft.com/mvp/> for details)
> Visit the Entourage User¹s Weblog for Hints, tips and troubleshooting
> information:http://www.barryw.net/weblog/

thanks, I will give it a try.

Daiya Mitchell

Jan 21, 2008, 3:22:18 AM1/21/08
Please complain to your school. If they use Exchange, they really had an
obligation to warn you not to buy it, since they apparently do not tell
you that you are using Exchange. (It seems you knew the program didn't
support Exchange before you bought it)

Also, since your school pays for Exchange, they ought to be able to
provide you with a client license for Entourage that will support
Exchange. I don't know exactly how the licensing works, but you need to
talk to the IT people at your school.

Unknown

Jan 21, 2008, 4:24:30 AM1/21/08
In Entourage 2004, when my assistant (who is assigned as a delegate and uses Outlook) declined, accepted or marked tentative a calendar invitation, I was able to see this at the top of the invitation in Entourage. This is not the case in Entourage 2008 - when will it be resolved?

Unknown

Jan 21, 2008, 1:26:35 PM1/21/08
Adam Bailey wrote:

As long as the Exchange server is not ancient and supports Outlook Web Access, which most do, it should work fine with Entourage. Many of the so-called security reasons turn out to be misunderstandings of how Exchange (and security) works and general laziness by IT folks.

That's as may be, but as far as I can tell (three different IT shops) if people have to do *anything* different to support the Mac, the response will be to "buy a PC" or "use parallels." I'm trying to get Entourage 2008 working with a hosted exchange company (liveoffice.com) and after hours of trying various combinations of user/domain/url have started getting "resource forbidden" messages. Those guys won't even take a support call about a mac issue, and neither will our internal IT who picked them as our vendor. Is it really that hard to have the same protocols? IMAP works great, but the whole point here is for the calendar.

Adam Bailey

Jan 21, 2008, 1:53:18 PM1/21/08

The rest of the (Exchange) world is moving to OWA/WebDAV. If you've managed
to find a vendor who has disabled Exchange's native support for those
protocols, you may be out of luck. But MAPI in Entourage isn't going to
happen.

Unknown

Jan 21, 2008, 2:13:31 PM1/21/08
It is inexcuseable that Microsoft has decided to remove the exchange support in the Home and Student version of Office 2008.

How do we fix this?

Go to Help: Provide Feedback. This feeback goes directly to the developers. We need to create a lot of feedback and provide some logic for Microsoft to create an update and add the exchange support. Students shouldn't have to be 150 more dollars for one minor thing. And the whole concept of a student version is to provide the same software at a cheaper price.

SEND FEEDBACK-Hopefully we will be listened to.

Unknown

Jan 21, 2008, 2:15:23 PM1/21/08
It is inexcusable that Microsoft has decided to remove the exchange support in the Home and Student version of Office 2008.

How do we fix this?

Go to Help: Provide Feedback. This feedback goes directly to the developers. We need to create a lot of feedback and provide some logic for Microsoft to create an update and add the exchange support. Students shouldn't have to be 150 more dollars for one minor thing. And the whole concept of a student version is to provide the same software at a cheaper price.

JE McGimpsey

Jan 21, 2008, 2:33:29 PM1/21/08
In article <ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Brian <> wrote:

> It is inexcuseable that Microsoft has decided to remove the exchange support

> in the Home and Student version of Office 2008. <br><br>How do we fix this?

> developers. We need to create a lot of feedback and provide some logic for
> Microsoft to create an update and add the exchange support. Students
> shouldn't have to be 150 more dollars for one minor thing. And the whole
> concept of a student version is to provide the same software at a cheaper

> price. <br><br>SEND FEEDBACK-Hopefully we will be listened to.

By all means send feedback, but if you're in a school environment that
uses Exchange, a cheaper alternative (in the past, at least, I haven't
seen anything on Office 2008) is a volume client license provided
through your institution. Of course, that means your school has to be
willing to support Macs.

There may be good marketing reasons why students should get cheaper
prices (i.e., to hook you on the product so you're more likely to buy a
full version after graduation), but there's no *inherent* reason why
simply having a student status makes one especially deserving of a price
break.

And Exchange services are hardly "one minor thing"...

William Smith

Jan 21, 2008, 11:55:00 PM1/21/08
Jon wrote:

> That's as may be, but as far as I can tell (three different IT shops) if
> people have to do *anything* different to support the Mac, the response
> will be to "buy a PC" or "use parallels." I'm trying to get Entourage
> 2008 working with a hosted exchange company (liveoffice.com) and after
> hours of trying various combinations of user/domain/url have started
> getting "resource forbidden" messages. Those guys won't even take a
> support call about a mac issue, and neither will our internal IT who
> picked them as our vendor. Is it really that hard to have the same
> protocols? IMAP works great, but the whole point here is for the calendar.

I can't resolve your issue but thought I'd add my viewpoint.

Adam has touched on the problem which is your IT department and those
they hire are Windows-centric. Windows does not have a track record of
being compatible with anything else other than itself.

Entourage and a lot of network applications on the Mac platform are
based on standards outside of Microsoft's proprietary ways of doing
things. These are open standards that belong to no one whereas Microsoft
owns MAPI. Sure, MAPI works great just like Office for Windows runs
great on Windows running on an NTFS formatted hard drive. Microsoft owns
all of those technologies. But they don't freely share them with anyone
else.

The MacBU (yes, part of Microsoft but not Windows-centric) made a good
decision to use standards in developing Entourage rather than creating
another proprietary protocol application. The Mac OS X platform is not a
platform for promoting propriety. It has embraced open standards and the
MacBU has simply followed the Macintosh way rather than the Microsoft
way. Good for them. I applaud that.

I'm in Mac technical support myself, so believe me when I say I do feel
your pain. But if I were going to blame anyone it would be those that
think like Microsoft.

Unknown

Jan 22, 2008, 10:16:37 AM1/22/08
bill wrote:

I'm in Mac technical support myself, so believe me when I say I do feel your pain. But if I were going to blame anyone it would be those that think like Microsoft.

Oh I agree that the default attitude of "if it's at all different, squash it" in a lot of IT shops is the root cause here. I'm just frustrated that I cannot be sure of why I can't connect. I don't think it would be that unreasonable for Entourage (especially this long into the evolution of the product) to at least take the same configuration options or throw useable error messages. (If it could parse the auto-setup files that are distributed for Outlook users, that would be ideal.)

In an ideal world, you could at least copy your OWA login URL, paste it into the setup wizard, use the same user/password and get something meaningful back.

I have a gloriously detailed setup guide for Outlook 2007, which does me no good at all. Do I tack /OWA to the hostname? Is it /exchange/us...@domain.com? Outlook/OWA don't ask for a user domain, why does Entourage? Should there be an https:// in front of the URL? What about all the config around an Exchange proxy, is there any way to do that? As far as I can tell, the only way to debug that stuff in Entourage (assuming you have no cooperation from the server side guys) is to just try all possible combinations, with most failures being silent. (Is there a log file somewhere?)

Entourage looks great - I *love* the ability to sync contacts/calendars with the native apple stuff (which I vaguely remember Mac BU people saying was out of scope for this release last year or so.) Very pleasant surprise (and seems to be working right off the bat.) At first glance I see more promising new features in Entourage than in any other part of Office 2008.

In my last company, the Mac users banded together and supported Entourage for each other talking to our Exchange servers. (The "don't ask, don't tell" policy for Mac support.) I hear 2008 is working great for those guys, so in no way do I think this isn't a great step forward. Just wish the DNA of the average Exchange admin was a bit more supportive.

Unknown

Jan 22, 2008, 10:20:22 AM1/22/08
Will Entourage allow access to shared folders in Outlook? I do a substantial bit of shared calendar updates and want to make sure this is supported before we make the switch to Mac.

Unknown

Jan 22, 2008, 11:35:16 AM1/22/08
Just got a message back from our hosted provider (liveoffice.com) which claims that Apple/Entourage cannot be made to work with any Exchange install over the web. (Apparently because "Apple does not support https" which I hope is a gross over-simplification of something true rather than just a lie.)

Anyway, I guess this is another "wait and see" situation since it's being worked on.

Andy Ruff

Jan 22, 2008, 11:54:51 AM1/22/08
I’d be surprised if that’s the case... LiveOffice looks to support OWA.  If you put your OWA URL in Entourage, it’ll likely work.  It doesn’t look like they support IMAP, so Mail.app won’t work.

That said, there are a number of hosted Exchange providers out there that support Entourage.

-Andy

Andy Ruff

Jan 22, 2008, 11:55:24 AM1/22/08
Yes, Entourage can access shared calendars, mail folders, and address books.

-Andy

Andy Ruff

Jan 22, 2008, 11:57:02 AM1/22/08
to Jon

On 1/22/08 7:16 AM, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Jon"
<Jon> wrote:

We are working directly with the Exchange team to make the configuration of
Entourage accounts much more reliable and seamless. Ideally, we'll get to
the point where you enter your e-mail address and you're done :).

-Andy

Adam Bailey

Jan 22, 2008, 12:24:58 PM1/22/08
Jon <> wrote:
> Just got a message back from our hosted provider (liveoffice.com) which
> claims that Apple/Entourage cannot be made to work with any Exchange
> install over the web. (Apparently because "Apple does not support https"
> which I hope is a gross over-simplification of something true rather than
> just a lie.)

I'll go ahead and call it a lie, or at least blatant ignorance.

Of course Apple supports https, and Microsoft Entourage supports Microsoft
Exchange using OWA. Point them to
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/itpros/default.mspx?CTT=PageView&app=ag&target=5dc552e3-ea74-4bba-a647-afaabe7dee531033>.

Any company so *outrageously* ignorant should not be trusted to manage your
services. I realize that's not your decision, but how would you feel if your
bank said they can't take your deposit because your wallet doesn't support
US currency? It's a ridiculous statement that you simply wouldn't accept.
This is no different.

Caleb Clauset

Jan 22, 2008, 12:25:44 PM1/22/08
Something has changed with Entourage 2008 that appears to ‘break’ my hosted Exchange service (USA.net). Whereas Entourage 2004 immediately authenticated to USA.net, Entourage ‘08 stays “not connected” and rejects the same keychain password that worked perfectly with ‘04 with this error:

“Mail could not be received at this time. The server for account <account> returned the error “Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.” Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password? [No/Yes]”).

Answering ‘Yes’ prompts me for my domain, username and password, but multiple attempts are always required (generally it doesn’t take more than 4 tries). Quitting Entourage, switching identities or going ‘Offline’ means going through the whole rigamarole again. As such, Entourage ‘08 is more trouble than it appears to be worth...

Unknown

Jan 22, 2008, 4:45:40 PM1/22/08
Installed Office 2008 Home & Student on my iMac, only to realize that I cannot access my Exchange account. After uninstalling 2008 and reinstalling 2004, I cannot launch Entourage...the error message reads "The identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage." Can someone tell me how to fix this?

Unknown

Jan 22, 2008, 5:07:54 PM1/22/08
Hello, I have a client that just had his calendar get wiped off the exchange server using Entourage 2004 SP2.

According to Tech Support and various articles on the web, this is not an uncommon problem with Entourage 2004 SP2.

We're considering a 2008 upgrade, but only if the problem was fixed.

Does anyone know if the problem was addressed and/or fixed?

jayw...@officeformac.com

Jan 22, 2008, 5:16:29 PM1/22/08
Please stop telling us that we should have know that there was no support for Exchange in the Home and Student Edition of Office 2008.

My son needs Exchange support on his Mac in an educational environment that DOES NOT SUPPORT MACS I have to shell out HUNDREDS of dollars for ONE copy of the Office 2008 so he can continue to use it.

I want to purchase the Home and Student Edition so I don't have to spend $1,500 for Microsoft office on our three home computers.

My alternative is setup Boot Camp or Parallels or VMWare Fusion, which requires the purchase of Windows XP (because Vista sucks) and Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 with the full version of Outlook.

Either way "I" am getting screwed.

The school in question will NOT buy him the Mac version since IT IS NOT AVAILABLE under their volume license. I can't obtain it other than purchasing the Standard Edition of Office 2008. I can't even get an answer as to who I can contact to purchase a single CAL to use Entourage with Exchange.

I normally applaud the MacBU for their efforts, but in this case I have to complain about the decisions you have made.

Dylan Carlson

Jan 22, 2008, 5:24:39 PM1/22/08
I am familiar with that issue. :-)  Please call USA.net support.  They have a solution for this problem.  It is not an Entourage 2008 issue.

Regards,
Dylan

Unknown

Jan 22, 2008, 5:38:20 PM1/22/08
I have been trying to get help for my previously posted problem with downgrading back to office 2004 in order to reconnect with my University exchange server. In going through Microsoft's tech support email website, every time I attempt to submit I get the following error, "An unknown application error occurred. Please try again in a few minutes." Needless to say I have tried many times over dozens of minutes and get the same result. Can anyone tell me how to get actual tech support if the support site doesn't even work?

Diane Ross

Jan 22, 2008, 6:18:49 PM1/22/08
On 1/22/08 2:38 PM, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Shawn"
<Shawn> wrote:

Use "Remove Office" to remove all of the Office 2008 files including the
invisible ones. Next, install Office 2004. I'm not sure if "Remove Office"
removes all of the new fonts in Office 2008. See Installing Office for Mac
2008 for more info on changes to fonts and locations in 2008.

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/01/installing_office_for_mac_2008.html>

Even if the fonts aren't removed, I don't see them causing a problem with
Office 2004.

The only problem with going backwards with Entourage would be your mail in
Entourage 2008. You will have to manually move new messages to the desktop
or use Export as Entourage archive to get your new mail back into Entourage
2004. Hopefully you still have your Office 2004 Identities folder. That
would make the change easier.

FYI... "Remove Office" is found in your Office 2004/2008 folder -->
Additional Tools folder.

I don't know what your original problem was since the new web interface
makes those of us that use a real newsreader to view posts correctly, but
have you considered installing both versions using separate Users? The blog
article mentioned above explains this approach.

BTW, If you use Entourage to subscribe to this newsgroup, you will find
using the newsgroup much easier and it will make our job easier to help you.

How to subscribe to the Microsoft Entourage newsgroup

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/support_options/subnews.html>

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Jan 22, 2008, 6:34:45 PM1/22/08
<jayw...@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Please stop telling us that we should have know that there was no
> support for Exchange in the Home and Student Edition of Office 2008.
>
> My son needs Exchange support on his Mac in an educational environment
> that DOES NOT SUPPORT MACS I have to shell out HUNDREDS of dollars for
> ONE copy of the Office 2008 so he can continue to use it.

In *theory*, the school has to pay a licence for each seat on their
Exchange server. In return, they *should* get a licence for Outlook or
Entourage (full) for each client.

I would try bugging the school again to get a copy of the full version
of Entourage through them,

Corentin

--
--- Mac:MS MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Jan 22, 2008, 6:34:46 PM1/22/08
Andy Ruff <ar...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> That said, there are a number of hosted Exchange providers out there that
> support Entourage.

I use it daily with our server here at work. No problem accessing
Exchange from home.
I'm simplifying but I would say: If you can get your e-mails from a
webpage at home, you should be able to use the same URL as the address
of the server in Entourage to get to your Exchange account,

Caleb Clauset

Jan 22, 2008, 9:54:23 PM1/22/08
USA.net finally gave me an alternate Exchange server address for which “the authentication methods are slightly different” (they wouldn’t elaborate further) and now I can connect seamlessly with Entourage 2008 (but it took several days of back and forth with them to obtain this information). Hopefully whatever configuration differences they made at their end can be shared with others hosting Exchange service so they too can connect using Entourage 2008.

Diane Ross

Jan 22, 2008, 10:52:01 PM1/22/08
On 1/22/08 1:45 PM, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Shawn"
<Shawn> wrote:

"This Identity Cannot Be Opened With This Version of Entourage"
This message usually means, for example, that Entourage is at 11.0, but the
saved database was saved in Entourage 11.3.3. Since there was a database
format change in there, Entourage 11.0 cannot open a database saved in
Entourage 11.3.3.

Microsoft does not update each application every time an update is released.
See łConfused over Microsoft Update Version numbers?ł for a handy script
that gives you the Office applicationąs version info.

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/05/confused_over_microsoft_update.html>

Unknown

Jan 23, 2008, 12:08:49 PM1/23/08
Bill Smith said:

[...]

--------------------------------------

Bill: What a load of cogswaddle! I'm sure you're a really great guy and all; none of this is personal. But I've been around this biz since 1978 and this crud has been going on FOREVER.

When will good people in the MacBU understand that people don't buy MS Office(Mac) because it's a good product. They buy it because they expect it to interface with their Microsoft-centric networks and apps at work and/or school, period...end of story.

If I were king for a day, I'd wipe Redmond off the map. But the reality is the MacBU has screwed their customers with a substandard product that can't even interface properly with Exchange after HOW MANY ITERATIONS OF ENTOURAGE???!!!

I'm sick with all of the high-brow "embracing open standards" crud when the MacBU can't even see that their failure to interface properly and completely with Exchange has HURT people in their jobs, their schoolwork and their overall productivity. I'm IT support for MBA students and staff and have had students CRYING in my office because of the failure of Office 2004 & 2008 to work properly with Microsoft products. Please don't give me that MacBU vs Microsoft Redmond crud...YOU FOLKS ARE ALL WORKING IN THE SAME COMPANY.

Please get your collective acts together. Start using MAPI and .pst files. And put together a decent way to auto-archive the Exchange email like Outlook does. Better yet, delete all the code for Entourage and port Outlook (with the SAME feature set and functionality) over to Mac. THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE...EVERYDAY WORKING STUDENTS AND MAC BUSINESS PEOPLE WANT!!!

Brian McQuaig
UC Davis Graduate School of Management
Computer Services Group
Helpdesk Technician

Unknown

Jan 23, 2008, 4:48:43 PM1/23/08
FYI, definitely appreciate the comments but the "it should work" responses are a bit frustrating as it quite clearly does not yet.

I do have OWA, which has worked from day one:
https://exchange.liveoffice.com/OWA
login is us...@domain.com & password (no DOMAIN\ prefix or anything)

Putting that into Entourage 2008's wizard (the only way to get any kind of status code/log that I've found) results in:

1) Auto-detectFails, enter manually
2) Enter manually, verify, get dialog for user/pwd, enter that and get

Verifying Exchange account "xxx...@xxx.xxx.net" on "https://exchange.liveoffice.com/OWA":
Verification Failed: "HTTP error. Access to the resource has not been authorized." (-18599 )

If you try https://exchange.liveoffice.com w/o the /OWA you get:

Verifying Exchange account "xxx...@xxx.xxx.net" on "https://exchange.liveoffice.com":
Verification Failed: "HTTP error. The server cannot fulfill the request." (-18500 )

If you try https://exchange.liveoffice.com/exchange/xx...@xxx.xxx.net you get:

Verifying Exchange account "xx...@xxx.xxx.net" on "https://exchange.liveoffice.com/exchange/xx...@xxx.xxx.net":
Verification Failed: "HTTP error. Access to the resource has not been authorized." (-18599 )

and so on. I understand that for a lot of users it does "just work" but it clearly doesn't in all cases. There is some dependency other than "OWA n Exchange 2007" even if it's "as long as they haven't added layer x or enabled setting y." It would be great to know what that is.

IMAP has worked great since the first day we migrated our corporate mail outside, so there's that at least. (Address Book syncing to Exchange does not work though.)

Although I doubt that the reason that this isn't working is as simple as what liveoffice.com has claimed: "Apple does not support https." There have been some areas where things like iCal have had to be wrapped w/ stunnel to work with SSL connections, so I suppose something related could be happening.

Paul_B...@officeformac.com

Jan 24, 2008, 9:29:45 PM1/24/08
William wrote

"The MacBU (yes, part of Microsoft but not Windows-centric) made a good
decision to use standards in developing Entourage rather than creating
another proprietary protocol application. The Mac OS X platform is not a
platform for promoting propriety. It has embraced open standards and the
MacBU has simply followed the Macintosh way rather than the Microsoft
way. Good for them. I applaud that."

That is a nice touchy feely, open view point. I am afraid that from the perspective of a customer who has to work in a corporate environment, I really don't care if it is open standards or proprietary voodoo I just need it to work. Patently Entourage does not work with Exchange with anything like the integration that Outlook does. Quite frankly the MacBU programers should be made to work in the same Windows centric environment the rest of us work in. I suspect they would soon forget the holier than thou open standards hogwash. Sure if Exchange is going that way great but you should be following the server not trying to lead it.
This continued interconnectivity problem really causes us out here in the real world a hugh problem. I like Microsoft products but they really don't do themselves any favors. From my perspective Entourage 2008 is a significant downgrade from 2004...

Dylan Carlson

Jan 25, 2008, 2:58:04 AM1/25/08
I am a customer who works in a corporate environment.

From my POV -- the usage of standard protocols is vital -- it is not “holier than thou”.   If everything was using open standards, software manufacturers would instead compete on what really matters — a better user-facing experience instead of compatibility issues.   In such a world, we would not likely be having this conversation.   If you don’t care about open standards, you should care, or you haven’t been paying attention to the major issues in the last two decades.

Although I think MSMBU should have also built standard Outlook-style MAPI support into Entourage as well, and let the users decide.  Would that have resulted in more bloat & bugs?  Probably.  I think Microsoft’s processes, engineering and QA overheads are really high, which leads to product sacrifices.   Additionally, why they chose to go another way with Entourage, using DAV instead of MAPI — and different database engine -- was a strategic choice rather than technical.

But then again, what do I know.  I haven’t written any PIMs lately.

Dylan

Unknown

Jan 25, 2008, 1:21:50 PM1/25/08
I've seen a couple of posts backing up my assertion that the MacBU has done the Mac community a disservice by giving us a "disabled" Entourage.

I've just heard from others on campus that Excel in Office 2008 (Mac) no longer has the Visual Basic functions. I need to mention that this is unverified information. If true, this means that our statistics students here at our MBA factory that use Macs will not be able to use Data Analysis Plus (Keller) or other add-ins that use VB. Just wanted to mention this...I'll move this particular discussion to an Excel forum.

What Dylan Carlson said in this discussion is true. If everyone used open standards there would be healthy competition. Unfortunately, to Microsoft, and "Open Standard" is one that they have complete control over.

I believe the MacBU is doing Redmond's bidding. The more they hamstring Office, the more people will be forced to buy a copy of Windows and PC Office. In all cases, follow the money. Sorry to be so cynical, but unfortunately, I wasn't born yesterday. Good thing is that their users are finally understanding this after being screwed so many times.

Brian McQuaig
University of California Davis
Graduate School of Management

William Smith

Jan 26, 2008, 11:11:50 PM1/26/08

Hi Matthew!

Having supported many Macs with Entourage 2004 with Exchange and
participated in these newsgroups for several years I can't say that
disappearing calendar events is common at all.

If your tech support is the one claiming that various articles on the
web say this is common then I wouldn't believe them.

Could you please start a new thread with details of your problem, your
setup and what you've tried? I'm not saying we can resolve your problem
here but it's worth revisiting if you've tried posting here before.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>

William Smith

Jan 26, 2008, 11:29:00 PM1/26/08
Jon wrote:

> Although I doubt that the reason that this isn't working is as simple as
> what liveoffice.com has claimed: "Apple does not support https." There
> have been some areas where things like iCal have had to be wrapped w/
> stunnel to work with SSL connections, so I suppose something related
> could be happening.

Hi Jon!

Everything you've mentioned is in regards to using OWA for your server
address. My understanding of the discovery mechanism in Entourage is
that it's only for back-end servers where the proper DNS and DHCP
settings have been configured.

Your Mac receives an IP address from DHCP. It also receives from DHCP
additional information about your network such as DNS servers. DHCP can
also send along a myriad of other network parameters to your computer
such as log servers, time servers. One of these parameters must be
configured for Exchange Server discovery, which Entourage can use.

Exchange Server discovery can not happen over the Internet because
you're local service provider will not have configured its DHCP for
another network's resources. It will especially not work if you have a
home router handing out local DHCP addresses to your Mac.

Hope this helps!

Unknown

Jan 28, 2008, 12:19:13 AM1/28/08
Bill,

That's very interesting - has some odd implications though.

As it stands, it sounds like Entourage '08 won't work on any/most hosted Exchange situations (like what I have) but also wouldn't work with static IP addresses? There's a dependency on something above the pure TCP/IP config? That certainly sounds like a higher bar than the stated requirements of "Exchange with Outlook Web Access" for Exchange support.

Is there any way to avoid the discovery step? E.g. if they gave me the "true" server addresses rather than the front door. My config instructions for Outlook 2007 involve a number of proxy setups and do reveal a couple of other addresses. Those don't seem to work either, but perhaps that's a route to compatibility.

ze...@officeformac.com

Jan 28, 2008, 10:17:26 AM1/28/08
I work fine with entourage and my exchange server 2003.
Iwould like to know if anyone knows why mail sent from entourage is not synchonized in exchange server.
A sent message from entourage is not visible in other clients with outlook connected to the same server exchange.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Unknown

Jan 28, 2008, 10:45:47 AM1/28/08
Can I read/import my Outlook 2007 pst files from Entourage 2008?

Adam Bailey

Jan 28, 2008, 1:50:48 PM1/28/08
Rafael <> wrote:
> Can I read/import my Outlook 2007 pst files from Entourage 2008?

Not directly, but there are other options for transitioning the content -
including across the Exchange server or using Outlook 2001 for Mac. See
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/win_mac.html#pst> for more
information.

Unknown

Jan 28, 2008, 6:23:46 PM1/28/08
I think everyone is asking for a comprehensive list of new features in Entourage 2008 and there you go, I just noticed thru a Google search that we have got one here:

Good reading ...

William Smith

Jan 28, 2008, 10:42:06 PM1/28/08

Hi Jon!

At the bottom of the first window of the Account Setup Assistant you'll
find a "Configure Account Manually" button. Click that and you can
manually set all information for your account. This will be the only
method you can use for hosted Exchange solutions.

Unknown

Jan 29, 2008, 7:42:28 AM1/29/08
I recently purchased the full upgrade version for Office (not student). I was upgrading from Office 2004. I am running Windows Server 2003 on my company network. The reason I purchased 2008 is because I was told the compatibility with Windows Server would be better.

To my disappointment, the Tasks in Entourage still do not sync with Server 2003.

Have you had any experience with the Tasks function in Entourage?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Unknown

Jan 29, 2008, 9:01:21 AM1/29/08
Bill-

Thanks for following up. Unfortunately, I have been trying the manual account setup from the beginning, against the addresses I posted earlier (exchange.liveoffice.com, etc.)

The manual setup + verify is the only way to get any kind of result.

(For reference, if I go to the "About" page on OWA, I see some additional servers - Client Access server name: EXCASUM06.exchhosting.com, and Mailbox server name: EXMBX04.exchhosting.com. Neither of those work with /OWA or /exchange/x...@xxx.xxx.xxx URLs.)

-Jon

Unknown

Jan 30, 2008, 1:29:22 PM1/30/08
My Day - Microsoft missed the point again lol. My Day should be a Widget. Duh.

Unknown

Jan 30, 2008, 2:17:18 PM1/30/08
I bought a new version of 2008 and installed it so I could get exchange support. I used the remove icon in the home and student version to remove office 2008 and then installed the regular version, and it assumes the old serial license. How to re-license this with the new license so I can get exchange to work?

Unknown

Jan 31, 2008, 5:59:56 PM1/31/08
Saying that I'm "upgrading" from 2004 to 2008 (using the Super Suite Deal, but it hasn't arrived yet) - but will no longer be able to check my Exchange mail - would be like buying a new car that only goes downhill. What in blazes was MS thinking by TAKING AWAY features?! I read the discontinued Super Suite Deal during November and December - the question was raised concerning Exchange functionality - and I don't ever remember any MS person stating that the limited functionality in 2004 was being eliminated in the same version of 2008.

That said, I'll log into my Exchange mailbox and FORWARD all of my mail to a non-exchange mailbox.

And Microsoft wonders why they're so despised - while Apple is loved? It's ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER and their experience. Apple gets it, MS doesn't.

skipm...@officeformac.com

Feb 1, 2008, 11:02:28 AM2/1/08
I also have to add my 2 cents and say that I think it is ridiculous that Office 2008 does not support sync of Tasks and Notes to exchange.

What the heck? This was a big problem in the last version and yet again the corporate users have been slighted with only PARTIAL support for exchange. What are they thinking??

Unknown

Feb 1, 2008, 1:09:12 PM2/1/08
FYI: One more ...

Here is a blog which provides details on Entourage 2008 features realted to Exchange Server, take a look:

Entourage 2008 – New Features (Part II)
 <http://blogs.technet.com/amir/archive/2008/01/30/entourage-2008-new-features-part-ii.aspx>

Good stuff!

William Smith

Feb 1, 2008, 11:42:52 PM2/1/08

Hi Jon!

I'm not familiar with this service but when you log in to OWA are you
having to do any sort of customized or double authentication? In other
words, are you being taken to a customized webpage (not part of the OWA
login) and entering your credentials in that before being taken to OWA?

If that's happening then you won't be able to use Entourage. That's an
issue that should be brought to their attention.

Unknown

Feb 2, 2008, 7:29:43 PM2/2/08
Still having SIGNIFICANT issues with Entourage... Wiped my installation and did a fresh install of Office 08... When connecting to Exchange server I get the dreaded -17900 error (bad username or password). Both are confirmed correct. I can login via OWA with no problem. I can login via IMAP with no problem. Try and login in Exchange mode to get calendars, global address etc and I get the error.

Exchange server is 2003. Thought it might be an Active Directory issue or something with the existing mail account. So I worked with IT and set up a new mail account with a new AD user. Clean install of Office 2008 again... Still get the -17900 error and can't get Entourage to access the server. OWA and IMAP work...

What the &*(^. It is unbelievable that a clean install of Entourage can't login to a clean account on Exchange server.

Any suggestions?!

Hat

Feb 4, 2008, 8:01:59 AM2/4/08
On Jan 22, 4:16 pm, jaywe...@officeformac.com wrote:
> Please stop telling us that we should have know that there was no support for Exchange in the Home and Student Edition of Office 2008.
> My son needs Exchange support on his Mac in an educational environment that DOES NOT SUPPORT MACS I have to shell out HUNDREDS of dollars for ONE copy of the Office 2008 so he can continue to use it.
> I want to purchase the Home and Student Edition so I don't have to spend $1,500 for Microsoft office on our three home computers.
> My alternative is setup Boot Camp or Parallels or VMWare Fusion, which requires the purchase of Windows XP (because Vista sucks) and Microsoft Office 2003 or 2007 with the full version of Outlook.
> Either way "I" am getting screwed.
> The school in question will NOT buy him the Mac version since IT IS NOT AVAILABLE under their volume license. I can't obtain it other than purchasing the Standard Edition of Office 2008. I can't even get an answer as to who I can contact to purchase a single CAL to use Entourage with Exchange.
> I normally applaud the MacBU for their efforts, but in this case I have to complain about the decisions you have made.

I don't know if your school's Exchange server is set up for OWA
(Outlook Web Access), but, if it is, have you considered using it
instead of Entourage to connect to the Exchange server. I doubt your
son is using any feature in Entourage that can't be done using OWA.
All you'd need then is a browser and you won't have to spend the
$1500. You may want to contact the school regarding OWA. As an
Exchange administrator, that's what I'd be recommending.

Unknown

Feb 4, 2008, 12:11:02 PM2/4/08
Hat - Apparently my school's server is set up for Outlook Web Access - I used to have no trouble connecting via Safari. However, since around the same time as I was forced to change my password, I can't log in via Safari. I can still log in using Entourage (2004) - and have no issue logging in via IE7. Strangely, neither can I log in using Outlook 2007 (I've been told this is due to my not showing up in the Address Book - I'm affiliated with the school - but since I'm not in admin, a teacher, or a student, my name/address is hidden). Do you, as an Exchange Administrator, have any ideas why Safari no longer connects (I've reset it several times, in case it was a password issue)?

Adam Bailey

Feb 4, 2008, 1:07:37 PM2/4/08
John <> wrote:
> Hat - Apparently my school's server is set up for Outlook Web Access - I
> used to have no trouble connecting via Safari. However, since around the
> same time as I was forced to change my password, I can't log in via
> Safari. I can still log in using Entourage (2004) - and have no issue
> logging in via IE7.

Try going to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access.app. Find the entry
for your Exchange server and delete it. Then relaunch Safari and try again.

Unknown

Feb 4, 2008, 1:36:21 PM2/4/08
Thank you very much Adam - your suggestion did the trick! There were actually three (??) passwords that needed to be deleted, and when I logged in the next time I was prompted when logging in, when I switched views, and again in order to log off. Your suggestion is much appreciated!

Unknown

Feb 7, 2008, 6:43:38 PM2/7/08
Hi There,
         is there a way to stop entourage caching mailbox data from exchange in 2008, particularly with shared mailboxes?
thanks,
Ben

Unknown

Feb 7, 2008, 6:43:39 PM2/7/08

Hat

Feb 8, 2008, 8:05:34 AM2/8/08
On Jan 22, 5:34 pm, korvent...@NoSpam.mvps.org (Corentin Cras-Méneur)
wrote:

> <jaywe...@officeformac.com> wrote:
> > Please stop telling us that we should have know that there was no
> > support for Exchange in the Home and Student Edition of Office 2008.
>
> > My son needs Exchange support on his Mac in an educational environment
> > that DOES NOT SUPPORT MACS I have to shell out HUNDREDS of dollars for
> > ONE copy of the Office 2008 so he can continue to use it.
>
> In *theory*, the school has to pay a licence for each seat on their
> Exchange server. In return, they *should* get a licence for Outlook or
> Entourage (full) for each client.
>
> I would try bugging the school again to get a copy of the full version
> of Entourage through them,
>
> Corentin
>
> --
>             --- Mac:MS MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/---
>        http://www.mvps.org      -    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>     MVPs are not MS employees    -    Les MVP ne travaillent pas pour MS
>  Remove "NoSpam" to e-mail me    -      Retirez "NoSpam" pour m'écrire

Your *theory*, while correct, is misleading. The school does need to
buy CALS for each mailbox on the Exchange server, as well as licensing
for Exchange and Windows server. HOWEVER, that doesn't buy the client,
which is separate. You don't need Entourage OR Outlook to access your
mail; you can access your mail using a browser and OWA, which for most
people is a more-than-adequate solution - IMO, it's better than
dealing with the problems that come with Entourage. Putting the burden
back on the school isn't fair to the school OR the taxpayers, if that
is the structure that's set up.

Hat

Feb 8, 2008, 8:12:56 AM2/8/08
On Feb 4, 11:11 am, John <> wrote:
> Hat - Apparently my school's server is set up for Outlook Web Access - I used to have no trouble connecting via Safari. However, since around the same time as I was forced to change my password, I can't log in via Safari. I can still log in using Entourage (2004) - and have no issue logging in via IE7. Strangely, neither can I log in using Outlook 2007 (I've been told this is due to my not showing up in the Address Book - I'm affiliated with the school - but since I'm not in admin, a teacher, or a student, my name/address is hidden). Do you, as an Exchange Administrator, have any ideas why Safari no longer connects (I've reset it several times, in case it was a password issue)?

Since we're 80% macs here, we have had problems with Safari connecting
- in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to have so many browsers to
contend with. We load Safari and Firefox on the Macs and everyone
tends to have better luck using Firefox. If Adam's solution doesn't
work (I'm going to check it out; thanks, Adam!) Firefox is free and we
have a lot less problems using it for OWA and other browser-based apps
we support.

Unknown

Feb 8, 2008, 10:16:29 PM2/8/08
Adam's solution worked - but I found an even better alternative than checking with Safari. I exported everything from Entourage 2008, then removed all of Office 2008. I then installed Entourage 2004, restored the Microsoft User Data, Library folder (thanks Time Machine!) and opened up Entourage 2004. I then deleted all accounts except the Exchange account. Re-installed Office 2008, imported my rge data, and I'm good to go. I have two different versions of Entourage installed - I keep the old version in a different "Space" checking just my Exchange mail - and I keep the 2008 running, checking my non-Exchange mail. It seems to be working perfectly! (One caveat - I ONLY use Exchange for email - I don't keep a calendar, notes, etc. in it).

Unknown

Feb 9, 2008, 11:00:19 AM2/9/08
Wow - I am thoroughly intimidated now.

I bought an imac because I was so done with Microsoft's problems- and now I'm in school, and I can't even open my school's Word files because "my free trial period has expired".

So now I'm reading these postings, and I figure, I will never figure this out. I am not the kind of person who can take all day to install, remove, re-install, etc. That is not why I got a mac.

Now I don't even trust to buy a version of office over the web. I have to go consult the mac store again.

Does anyone know how I can use Office, or just Word, without dealing with the mess I have read about in the above postings?

Unknown

Feb 9, 2008, 11:42:09 AM2/9/08
Unlike the PC brethren's, the Mac comes loaded with virtually no "crap ware" but you're right that the TRIAL version of Office expires after a month or so. The solution is to purchase a licensed version (~ $135.00 for Home and Student, street price) - you'd have to do the same whether you're using a Mac or a PC (to stay legal, anyway). The Office 2008 DVD will automatically remove your trial version for you. Just stick the disc in, double click the installer, and follow the directions.

Barry Wainwright

Feb 9, 2008, 11:58:42 AM2/9/08
On 09/02/2008 16:42, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "John"
<John> wrote:

Alternatively, stick with Pages ­ this will open most word docs and can save
a file in a compatible format.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see <http://www.microsoft.com/mvp/> for details)
Visit the Entourage Userąs Weblog for Hints, tips and troubleshooting
information:
http://www.barryw.net/weblog/

Unknown

Feb 9, 2008, 1:39:39 PM2/9/08
I would highly recommend this blog to everyone using Entourage with Exchange, please do read:

 <http://blogs.technet.com/amir>

I loved the latest entry for today:

How Does Entourage Work?
 <http://blogs.technet.com/amir/archive/2008/02/08/how-does-entourage-work.aspx>

Regards,

Adam Bailey

Feb 11, 2008, 7:03:52 AM2/11/08
Julie lesko <> wrote:
> Wow - I am thoroughly intimidated now.

Why? You didn't quote the message(s) to which you were replying, so I'm
unclear if your intimidation stems from Entourage and Exchange or some other
issue.

> I bought an imac because I was so done with Microsoft's problems- and now
> I'm in school, and I can't even open my school's Word files because "my
> free trial period has expired".

Yes, the iMac does not come with a full version of Office. If you want it,
you need to buy it.

There may be other programs capable of opening or translating .doc files on
the Mac, but I'm not sure about this.

> So now I'm reading these postings, and I figure, I will never figure this
> out. I am not the kind of person who can take all day to install, remove,
> re-install, etc. That is not why I got a mac.

Figure what out? If you want Office, buy it and install it. You will need to
remove the Test Drive, which the Office 2008 installer will offer to do for
you.

> Now I don't even trust to buy a version of office over the web. I have to
> go consult the mac store again.

Okay...

> Does anyone know how I can use Office, or just Word, without dealing with
> the mess I have read about in the above postings?

What mess? People come to newsgroups to complain, you won't see a lot of
postings from satisfied customers. Chances are you'll be fine.

Unknown

Feb 16, 2008, 1:14:13 PM2/16/08
After reading the blog, I am reluctant to install the Student/Home/Faculty version of Office 2008 that I have purchased and opened (not returnable now).

I have been using Entourage 2004 on my Mac at home to access my personal email account and also my work exchange account. The Mac specialist in my work IT shop helped me configure Entourage 2004 so that I did not have to use VPN to get through the university firewall to access my Exchange account. As I interpret the configuration, Entourage is basically using the Exchange web interface to give me access to my email and calendar.

My question is: Will Entourage in Office 2008 allow me to access my Exchange email account and calendar in the same manner as I am accustomed with Entourage 2004?

Thank you.
Ralph

Diane Ross

Feb 16, 2008, 10:19:32 PM2/16/08
On 2/16/08 4:20 PM, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Tony"
<Tony> wrote:

> Will Entourage 2008 import Outlook 2003 pst files?

No. Check out the options on the "Convert Mail from Windows to Mac" Page:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/win_mac.html>
--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)
Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>

Diane Ross

Feb 16, 2008, 10:21:16 PM2/16/08
On 2/16/08 10:14 AM, in article ee7c5...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Ralph"
<Ralph> wrote:

Since you have opened it, why not install and test it out? There is no
registration process that would keep you from removing it from your computer
and selling it on eBay. You would need to notify the buyer that it's been
opened.

Unknown

Feb 16, 2008, 10:22:40 PM2/16/08
Ralph-

NO, Entourage 2008 will NOT allow you to access the Exchange server in the method you have been. I accessed my Exchange server the exact same way - and still do. Simply install Outlook 2008 - and when prompted to delete the old versions, skip the step instead. I've found that it's no big deal to use Entourage 2004 to check my Exchange mail...and Entourage 2008 for my POP/IMAP mail. In my case, I can't have both versions running at the same time, but have no issues if only one or the other is open. And, using 2004 to check my Exchange mail beats the heck out of using a web interface. Either way, you'll have to use two different methods - I find this works just fine.

The documentation that comes with 2008 specifically states that having/using 2004 does NOT interfere with 2008.

It is loading more messages.