Autodiscover fails when using Hosted Exchange account

weav...@officeformac.com

Sep 1, 2009, 11:04:41 AM9/1/09
Version: 2008
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

I use a hosted Exchange account through cbeyond. After upgrading to Entourage Web Services I can no longer connect to Exchange. It was working fine before. Enabling logging shows this (I've obscured my email address with XXX):

[ 45331us, d 8us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: Querying <https://autodiscover.eaglesm.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml>
[ 45331us, d 0us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: Error code: -3176
[ 45331us, d 0us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: --- HTTP redirect endpoint
[ 45332us, d 1us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: Error code: -3176
[ 45332us, d 0us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: --- DNS SRV method
[ 45332us, d 0us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: Error code: -3176
[ 45332us, d 0us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: No _autodiscover._tcp.eaglesm.com service found
[ 45332us, d 0us] Entourage Exchange Auto Configure: === Failed to retrieve autodiscover settings for XXX...@eaglesm.com

I manually configured my account so I don't see why it is trying to use AutoDiscover. I don't need it to do that since I have my settings given to me by Cbeyond. So basically although I have all of the correct Exchange settings I can no longer use Entourage for my email because it's trying to use this AutoDiscover. How can I prevent this?

Pawan Kapoor

Sep 1, 2009, 6:19:00 PM9/1/09
As per the logs it looks like the autodiscover is not set correctly by your
hosters. What settings you are using to connect your Entourage to the
exchange mailbox? I am just looking for the information you are providing in
the Exchange server field in Entourage.

thanks

<weav...@officeformac.com> wrote in message

William Smith [MVP]

Sep 1, 2009, 11:31:05 PM9/1/09
weav...@officeformac.com wrote:

> I manually configured my account so I don't see why it is trying to
> use AutoDiscover. I don't need it to do that since I have my settings
> given to me by Cbeyond. So basically although I have all of the
> correct Exchange settings I can no longer use Entourage for my email
> because it's trying to use this AutoDiscover. How can I prevent this?

I think Pawan's correct about what's happening but thought I'd point out
that the AutoDiscover feature serves another purpose. Not only does it
help you discover your server but it will also help you stay connected
if your account changes servers. This is a feature that Entourage never
had before.

--

bill

Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>

weav...@officeformac.com

Sep 2, 2009, 9:25:14 AM9/2/09
The exchange server is:
webmail.cbeyondonline.net/exchange/XXX...@eaglesm.com
domain is: mmeprod
This came directly from the screenshots and directions that Cbeyond has for setting up Entourage. It worked before upgrading. I realize the benefit of using the autodiscover feature. We have five email domains and four websites set up with Cbeyond. The problem I have is that there is no autodiscover.eaglesm.com or eaglesm.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml and they are not going to do anything about that. I assume this is why they have manual instructions. Maybe it's because with Cbeyond I can have an eaglesm.com email domain without having an eaglesm.com website to have an xml file. Not really sure how all that works. It's probably worth noting that the autodiscover feature in Outlook 2007 does not work with Cbeyond either. When I set email up for any of my companies/email domains I have to manually enter the exchange server/domain as well.

If anyone wants to look at the Cbeyond support entry for setting up Entourage it is linked here (hopefully the link works):

<http://cbeyond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cbeyond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2647&p_created=1242311472&p_sid=a3AOOWGj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=97&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NCw0JnBfcHJvZHM9MjQxJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0xLjI0MSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9ZW50b3VyYWdl&p_li=&p_topview=1>

Pawan Kapoor

Sep 2, 2009, 12:44:36 PM9/2/09
The setup instructions you mentioned is for Entourage 2008 whereas now you
are using EWS version of Entourage. Entourage EWS talks to the EWS directory
and not Exchange. The webmail URL you mentioned is
webmail.cbeyondonline.net/exchange/XXX...@eaglesm.com is for Entourage
2008.

To access emails in EWS I believe you have to configure Entourage with
webmail.cbeyondonline.net/ews/exchange.asmx (but please check the EWS URL
from your provider).

thanks,
Pawan