view ruler/set margins when composing messages

b...@officeformac.com

Jul 16, 2008, 8:22:38 AM7/16/08
Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

Okay, so maybe I am dumb, but I can't seem to find any information on how to show the ruler when you are composing a message so that you can set tabs, change margins, etc. I can't even find this in the help section -- the only thing I find is about forms. Is it possible to bring the ruler down and keep it there (like I have on my PC w/Outlook 2002).

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Barry Wainwright

Jul 16, 2008, 9:40:53 AM7/16/08
In article <59b54...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, b...@officeformac.com
wrote:

you're not dumb.

The draft mail window in Entourage does not have a ruler or tab stops.

If you want that fine a control over positioning, write your email in
word and use the 'send to > Mail recipient (as HTML)' under the file
menu.

However, you should be aware that no matter how careful you are in your
layout and formatting, what the user sees will depend on their client
settings, not on your formatting. Far better to stick to plain text mail
and rely on the content to make your point, rather than the presentation
style.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP

Jolly Roger

Jul 16, 2008, 10:09:11 AM7/16/08
wrote:

> Okay, so maybe I am dumb, but I can't seem to find any information on how to

> show the ruler when you are composing a message so that you can set tabs,
> change margins, etc. I can't even find this in the help section -- the only
> thing I find is about forms. Is it possible to bring the ruler down and keep
> it there (like I have on my PC w/Outlook 2002).

Goodness - all that just for an email message? You realize pretty
formatting is best reserved for documents and web pages, right? There's
no guarantee the way you format HTML messages will be the way they
render on someone else's screen, and by making them HTML you take away
any choice the reader had of viewing your messages in their own
preferred font face, size, and style.

--
Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as

JR

mrbung...@googlemail.com

Jan 27, 2017, 5:56:02 AM1/27/17
On Wednesday, 16 July 2008 15:09:11 UTC+1, Jolly Roger wrote:
> In article <59b54...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, b...@officeformac.com
> wrote:
>
> > Okay, so maybe I am dumb, but I can't seem to find any information on how to
> > show the ruler when you are composing a message so that you can set tabs,
> > change margins, etc. I can't even find this in the help section -- the only
> > thing I find is about forms. Is it possible to bring the ruler down and keep
> > it there (like I have on my PC w/Outlook 2002).
>
> Goodness - all that just for an email message? You realize pretty
> formatting is best reserved for documents and web pages, right? There's
> no guarantee the way you format HTML messages will be the way they
> render on someone else's screen, and by making them HTML you take away
> any choice the reader had of viewing your messages in their own
> preferred font face, size, and style.

<SNIP>
> JR

Hi JR.

I spent well over an hour last night trying and failing to get an addendum to a mail to look like the rest of the mail which had been written and formatted in Outlook. This is a crappy experience, especially when the Copy/Paste Style doesn't work and there is no good style painter available. The only thing that would have fixed this would have been access to a halfway decent rule with margins, indents, tab stops under my control, rather than the arbitrary things Mail.app does for you.

So, yes, a fully functional ruler and/or a decent format painter!