Entourage is not installed - so why am I getting "Entourage Temp" files?

dr.n...@officeformac.com

Sep 5, 2009, 8:39:40 AM9/5/09
Processor: Intel
Email Client: imap

I specifically chose not to install Entourage when installing Mac Office. It is not present on my system. However, when restarting my computer I ALWAYS have "Entourage Temp" files showing up in the Recovered Files folder in my Trash.

Why? I understand why these might be there if I used Entourage, but Office certainly should NOT be generating temporary files for a program that I didn't even install.

What do I have to delete to make this stop? Or is it impossible? The other Office programs shouldn't be making calls to Entourage if it isn't there!

dr.n...@officeformac.com

Sep 5, 2009, 8:41:05 AM9/5/09
Office 2008, latest service packs installed by the way. Had 04 installed previously but I did the same thing during install - specifically asked not to have Entourage installed. I don't like the email client and prefer using another one, so didn't want it taking up space on my system.

Barry Wainwright

Sep 5, 2009, 10:32:02 AM9/5/09

I don't know for sure, but I can take a guess...

I suspect these files are temporary files written by the Database Daemon
as it does its stuff. the database is used mainly by Entourage for
storage of mail, News, Calendar info etc, but it is also accessed by
other office apps for a few things (Word reads contact info from there
for autofil or mail merge, all office apps store the Scrapbook data in
there, Messenger talks to it as well for project information. My guess
is that the daemon is incorrectly labeling these files as 'Entourage'
files because the database is colloquially associated with Entourage,
even though those other apps also use it.

That's my guess, for what it's worth. It may be way off base though!

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP

Diane Ross

Sep 5, 2009, 8:08:38 PM9/5/09
On 9/5/09 5:41 AM, in article 59b7b...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"dr.n...@officeformac.com" <dr.n...@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I don't like the email client and prefer using another one, so didn't want it
> taking up space on my system.

Not installing the full package can cause problems with future Office
updates. It only takes up 47.8 MB. Surely your hd is not that low on space.

--
Diane

dr.n...@officeformac.com

Sep 6, 2009, 10:35:12 AM9/6/09
Diane, that makes very little sense. Are you saying that every person who buys Word 2008 without purchasing the entire Office suite is going to have problems?

If not installing the entire package causes problems, then Microsoft should either (a) NOT make program features depend on each other, (b) remove the custom install options from the installer and/or not allow individual Office components to be sold separately, or (c) fix their updater so that it doesn't try to update programs that aren't present.

I have NEVER chosen to install the entire Office suite, on any platform. I don't need all the programs. I honestly do not like Outlook or Entourage at all; I don't like the user interfaces, I don't think they are as functional as other email clients I use, and I don't need them to interact with an Exchange server because I don't work for a Microsoft-only shop. I don't use them and I won't install programs I don't use.

And yes, I am very careful about wasted hard drive space - when I am regularly shooting RAW images and using scientific software that generates multiple large files I need every speck of hard drive space I can get.

Diane Ross

Sep 6, 2009, 2:27:10 PM9/6/09
On 9/6/09 7:35 AM, in article 59b7b...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"dr.n...@officeformac.com" <dr.n...@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Diane, that makes very little sense.

I gave you my advice based on user experiences. If you don't like it, please
feel free to ignore it.

--
Diane

dr.n...@officeformac.com

Sep 6, 2009, 6:13:21 PM9/6/09
Please don't take it the wrong way. I didn't say YOU made little sense - just that if what you said is true, someone at Microsoft has made a serious mistake with the software. It doesn't make sense to have updates that require the entire package be installed. If that is indeed what is happening, then it needs to be fixed.

Diane Ross

Sep 6, 2009, 6:26:22 PM9/6/09
On 9/6/09 3:13 PM, in article 59b7b...@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"dr.n...@officeformac.com" <dr.n...@officeformac.com> wrote:

I would encourage you to send feedback, but I suspect nothing will change.
I've been trying for years to get them to add just one thing to the Welcome
to Entourage message about where the data is stored and not to move it, but
it's fallen on deaf ears.

It's small so try to ignore wanting to trash it and keep the really big
files cleaned off your drive.

WhatSize and OmniDiskSweeper are utilities for quickly finding big files and
thus making space on your hard disks.

<http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/>

<http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize/>

--