designing for IE 7 & 8

Rob6021

Dec 12, 2009, 6:36:01 PM12/12/09
I work on a Mac, I'm designing a website. It looks great in Firefox, Safari,
Chrome etc, but I can't test it in IE. It seems to look OK on websites that
test browser compatability, but out in the real world people are seeing
problems in IE.
I've heard that there's strings of code you can add to your html (I use
DreamWeaver) to adapt your site for IE 7 and 8... can anyone point me in the
direction of these codes, or suggest any other workaround for this problem.

The problem doesn't affect the functionality of the site, just moves things
around all over the place.

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Dec 14, 2009, 11:43:56 AM12/14/09
Rob6021 <Rob...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I've heard that there's strings of code you can add to your html (I use
> DreamWeaver) to adapt your site for IE 7 and 8... can anyone point me in the
> direction of these codes, or suggest any other workaround for this problem.

I fear you might have to ask on the Adobe forums for that./ I hadn't
heard of such code.
I tend to design pages sticking to the HTML specifications and I'm
usually OK.

Corentin

--
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Rob6021

Dec 14, 2009, 6:21:01 PM12/14/09
Thanks for your response.
I believe they're known as "conditional comments", or something like that.
Apparently, small strings of code to drop into CSS or HTML that recognise
when someone is using IE 7, and adapt accordingly. Site looks fine in IE 8
(I'm told), but not 7.

Site is www.legallyloseyourdebts.com

The specific problem is that the menu buttons (Home, About Us, etc) shift
over to the right in IE 7, when they're supposed to be underneath the main
logo header image, as they are in Safari, firefox etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.