MAC using Linksys Router WiFi Connection, not working too well ?

Bubey

Feb 18, 2010, 9:00:19 PM2/18/10
I have a Linksys Router - G which works fine with my
Windows laptop. We also have an iMAC and it can
only get the internet if we leave a garage door open.
The iMAC is about 20 ft from where the router is located
and the WiFi has to go through and exterior wall.
Anyone have any suggestion of what we can do to make
the connection better and not have to open the door ?
Thanks !

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Feb 19, 2010, 9:30:42 AM2/19/10
On 2010-02-18 21:00:19 -0500, Bubey said:

> Anyone have any suggestion of what we can do to make
> the connection better and not have to open the door ?
> Thanks !

Can you move the router?

Corentin

--
--- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

ovalking

Feb 19, 2010, 1:51:35 PM2/19/10
If this is a metal garage door it will certainly not help. I would expect
it to work at that distance but IME wi-fi tends to be a bit hit and miss.
Best solution is to get your house wired up with ethernet cables. Bit of
hassle, but I'm sure you will not regret it once done.

Other options
Does your router allow you to increase the power?
Have you tried changing the wireless channel on your router? If there are
other wi-fi networks around it might help.
Can you use ethernet over mains adaptors?
Can you use an ethernet to wireless adaptor? This will give more
flexibility than moving the iMac.

G.

Bubey

Feb 21, 2010, 12:07:03 PM2/21/10
Thanks for your reply Ovalking.
No, I can't change the route location. It's attached to the
Bright House Modem. It's also set closest to the MAC.
The house is Fla Stucco, which is made with chicken wire
against the cement blocks to hold the stucco on. The router is in the room
closest to his house. It's about 20 ft away but the signal has to go
through the walls & sliding glass door from the main house and into his
house via walls and a metal door. Re-wiring the houses with Ethernet is not
option, cost problem.
How does one "increase the power" ?
Right now I'm using a Linksys WRT54-g router. I just
bought a Linksys 601N, dual band router, but we didn't
get any better connection with it than we had with the 54-g, so I returned
it, to save my money, and went back to our
old 54-g.
I tried a USB Wireless adapter, but couldn't use it as the
install disk is for Windows only and Linksys doesn't have a MAC install
format disk. Linksys said they do not have any product that would work with
a MAC. Talked to Apple and couldn't get a definite "it will work" with
their adapter, plus it's $99. Love the MAC but find most anything I want to
add is big $$$'s compared to my Windows systems.

"ovalking" <oval...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Corentin Cras-Méneur

Feb 22, 2010, 10:22:47 AM2/22/10
On 2010-02-21 12:07:03 -0500, Bubey said:

> Thanks for your reply Ovalking.
> No, I can't change the route location. It's attached to the
> Bright House Modem.

Can't you use a longer ethernet cable between the modem and the router?

> It's also set closest to the MAC.
> The house is Fla Stucco, which is made with chicken wire
> against the cement blocks to hold the stucco on.

That clearly doesn't help. That's even an effective way to block the
radio waves :-\

> The router is in the room
> closest to his house. It's about 20 ft away but the signal has to go
> through the walls & sliding glass door from the main house and into his
> house via walls and a metal door. Re-wiring the houses with Ethernet is not
> option, cost problem.

You could consider extending the network through one ethernet cable and
adding a second router...
Still easier than wirering everything.

> How does one "increase the power" ?
> Right now I'm using a Linksys WRT54-g router.

I don;t remember if it is in the settings of the default firmware for
this router, but it sure is in the settings if you flash the router
with a third party firmware.
I had a WRT-54GS and I was using the Tomato firmware and loved it.
Better, more stable and more features than the Linksys firmware.

You could also consider internet over the powerlines. Basically, you
need a router plugged to the electricity and and adapter on the
electricity for each station. THe network is going over AC.
I know some people in a similar situation than yours and that's the
solution they adopted.

Corentin