VS 6.0 Directories Options, how to set platform sdk dirs.

TheOne

Aug 20, 2008, 12:46:46 AM8/20/08
I'm developing with VS 6.0 using MS Platform SDK.

How should I set MS Platform SDK include and lib directories?
I didn't know that I could set SDK dirs in Tool-Options-Directories.
I found it some days ago, and set the dirs.

However, when I set the dirs, some projects which had been flawlessly
compiled spat out error during compile.

It seems like, the order of directories, if SDK include dir is above
VS98
include directories and so on, affects compilation. What's the correct
setting order of SDK include and lib directories? Or should I replace
all
VS98 directories with SDK directories?

TIA.

--
dAewOn

Liviu

Aug 20, 2008, 1:47:48 AM8/20/08

"TheOne" <daewo...@gmail.com> wrote ...

> I'm developing with VS 6.0 using MS Platform SDK.
>
> How should I set MS Platform SDK include and lib directories?

Depends on what you want to achieve.

> However, when I set the dirs, some projects which had been flawlessly
> compiled spat out error during compile.
>
> It seems like, the order of directories, if SDK include dir is above
> VS98 include directories and so on, affects compilation.

And if they wouldn't, then why use the SDK at all ;-)

> What's the correct setting order of SDK include and lib directories?

Generally speaking, SDKs are assumed to be more up-to-date and
platform-specific than the compiler-packaged headers and libraries.
Since you offer no details, it's hard to be more specific. Default
advice, make sure that whatever SDK(s) you are attempting to use are
indeed compatible with the VC6 compiler, which is quite outdated.

Cheers,
Liviu

Alex Blekhman

Aug 20, 2008, 4:47:13 AM8/20/08
"TheOne" wrote:
> I'm developing with VS 6.0 using MS Platform SDK.

This environment is really old. It is not supported anymore by
Microsoft. Also, modern PSDK's won't work with VS 6.0. Tha latest
PSDK that works with VS 6.0 is February 2003 SDK. Is there any
compelling reason that you use VS 6.0 instead of VS 2008?

> How should I set MS Platform SDK include and lib directories?

Platform SDK provides a tool to integrate with VS IDE. Look for
this link in program PSDK group. In any case you can set up PSDK
directories manually. Go to VS directories settings and ensure
that platform SDK directories are before any VS directories. Also,
read PSDK Readme files. It may describe additional patches to
existing MFC/ATL headers that you should use with the PSDK.

> However, when I set the dirs, some projects which had been
> flawlessly compiled spat out error during compile.

Probably you use PSDK that is incompatible with VS 6.0.

HTH
Alex