trouble loading websites

denise

Mar 1, 2008, 12:51:23 PM3/1/08
hi-

i am also having trouble loading some of my regular
websites........netgrocer.com, netflix.com, hydrofarm.com. i keep
getting the "cannot display the webpage" error. but other websites work
fine. i use XP Home on windows with a dsl connection.

this is what i have tried so far:

deleted cookies, browser history, etc
turned off security programs (no change)
tried different browsers
checked with my isp (no isp problems)
had other people try the websites (they work for them)
reset the modem
flushed the dns cache
tried using IP addresses instead, but it didn't make a difference with
one exception. i could load one page in netgrocer.com. but all the
other netgrocer pages wouldn't load
ran the IE diagnostic program but it didn't find anything
tried a few different restores (with the last restore my firefox browser
is not working right and IE runs slower).

i am getting quite nervous. i really need my computer......it literally
is a lifeline for me.

i'm going to try the test for incompatibility with other programs (gonna
run msconfig).

any other ideas? thanks.

Bob

Mar 1, 2008, 1:16:19 PM3/1/08
You don't say which version of IE you're using.
Assuming IE7 and you do not have a pre-installed version.

You may have a flawed install of IE7.

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

2. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

3. Reinstall IE7 per http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install,
and using http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_...0_Malwa

What's New in Internet Explorer 7
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/essentials/whatsnew/whatsnew_70_sdk...p?frame

"denise" <hummin...@verizon.net> wrote in message

denise

Mar 1, 2008, 2:16:41 PM3/1/08
hi bob,
right i do have IE7, sorry. and right it did not come pre-installed. i
updated from an earlier version.

i also need to update on something else i said......false alarm about
IE7 & FF2 not running ok after the system restore. AVG was running in
the background and slowing IE down. FF corrected itself with a page
reload. but the website trouble is still there.

interesting about the flawed install idea....that happened with my
printer software once and it really messed things up. but why would it
cause trouble for FF? thanks.

denise

Bob

Mar 1, 2008, 2:30:38 PM3/1/08
Sorry Denise,
I don't understand. You say, "false alarm about IE7 & FF2 not running ok"
and then you say, "but the website trouble is still there".

"denise" <hummin...@verizon.net> wrote in message

denise

Mar 1, 2008, 5:21:37 PM3/1/08
hi bob,
well, because in my original post i say that IE and FF developed even
more problems when i tried a system restore. so they had the website
problem and other stuff. check out my first post. but today i learned
that is not really true (altho FF is acting up again).

so i don't really have *additional* problems after a system restore but
i still have the website problem.

i even had trouble loading most of the links you gave me. :) i could
only read one of them. thanks.

denise

Bob

Mar 1, 2008, 6:08:59 PM3/1/08
If you can't load websites you ARE having browser problems.
Are we speaking the same language? :-)

------------

Got Vista problems or questions?
Start here.
http://www.vistax64.com/search.php

denise

Mar 3, 2008, 8:12:40 AM3/3/08
yes! :) i think i gave too many details and it's confusing you.

if IE didn't install right, wouldn't the problem have shown up right
away? because it didn't. i only noticed a problem in the last couple of
weeks. thanks.

denise

Bob

Mar 3, 2008, 8:44:27 AM3/3/08
I'm easily confused. ;>)

I think it's possible IE7 may have been faulty from the start and it took
awhile for the problem to appear.

Read before installing/uninstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips

Uninstall Tips
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

Use
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx as the installation source.

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/11/IE7-Installation-and-Anti_2D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

Uninstall all third-party toolbars (if any before) installing IE7.

"denise" <hummin...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Bob

Mar 3, 2008, 9:05:33 AM3/3/08
Denise,
Here's another thing to try.
Right-click on the IE shortcut icon and select the Start without add-ons
option. You can then manage which add-ons are enabled, in Tools | Manage
Add-ons, after you've started IE7. If this solves your problem, enable
add-ons one at a time, testing as you go, until you find the culprit.

Bob

Mar 3, 2008, 9:16:06 AM3/3/08
And this.
Reset Internet Explorer Settings