WeIrDe problem with IE version 6

Harry L

Mar 1, 2008, 8:20:31 AM3/1/08
Hi all,
My computer recently began acting daft, so I deleted programs, scanned
(AVG), Deep scanned (Trend), and AdAwared it, and auto removed all malicious
stuff. I also defragmented,and the usual weekly stuff. My computer is now
fast and does nothing unusual, except for IE6.

I cannot re-install IE6 because the installed version came with Windows XP,
SP2, and is a later version than that to which I have access.

I can use IE properly for most general surfing, but when I try to view
certain events, such as feedback in secure pages from my ISP, the page is
blank. If I place the cursor in a frame and select VIEW, ENCODING, then
select BALTIC (windows) then the page becomes visible. The same happens in
OUTLOOK.

If I restart the computer and IE6, then OUTLOOK can now view content from my
ISP, but IE6 still shows balnk pages, until I individually change the
ENCODING of each individual frame I want to view. Refresh also makes the
page dissapear.

I have tried checking (ticking) the FORMATING -> AUTO DETECT, but that makes
no difference. I have even tried overwriting all files in the Internet
Explorer directory from my other computer, also running the same version of
WinXP, but nothing changes.

Any ideas anyone? For the moment I have installed FIREFOX2 and that works
great, but it is not a solution.