IE7 won't connect to the internet

Glenn Suggs

Dec 12, 2007, 11:40:00 AM12/12/07
I've been having this problem for about 2 weeks and am having a real hard
time figuring it out. IE7 was working fine and then stopped recognizing my
DSL connection. ("Can't display web page") I've been on the phone 3 times
with my ISP but now it seems after trying another browser the connection is
fine. (I really want IE, though) Everything works (virus definition
downloads, remote connectivity, etc.) except things that require IE to be on
the machine. I've walked through many troubleshooting steps on the MS
websites but the only clue I have is, after trying to register many .dll's as
MS suggested, one of them wouldn't register. mshtml.dll. So that seems to
be a clue, but if this is the problem, I still can't register the dll.
(Running regsvr32 mshtml.dll) The error message indicates that the system
found the mshtml.dll file but can't find the entry point. I've been reading
up on this stuff but I'm still baffled. Can anyone help? Oh yes, I have
Windows XP Home edition.

Thanks in advance,
--
Glenn

sgut...@centurytel.net

Dec 24, 2007, 3:14:10 PM12/24/07
On Dec 12, 10:40 am, Glenn Suggs

I had same issue, the browser would not display the web page, but
getting Norton and Microsoft updates. Spent jours on phone with ISP
and e-mailed Symantec several times. No luck. Found on one tech site
to uninstall Micrsoft IE update KB942615. I did and now the IE7 works
just fine. That update however was not sent out until 11 or 12 Dec I
think.

scottrse1

Dec 27, 2007, 9:48:00 AM12/27/07

"Glenn Suggs" wrote:

Try going to Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) and
see if ie7 will connect to the internet. If so - it's cookies or an add-on
that's causing the problem. Close the browser and go to Start - Run - type in
inetcpl.cpl, Select Delete Browsing History - and delete temporary internet
files & cookies. Click on the Security Tab & select "Reset all zones to
default level" at the bottom. Click on the Content tab and select "Clear SSL
state". Click on the Advanced Tab, under "Browsing" clear the check from the
"Enable third-party browser extensions". Click OK at the bottom & reopen ie7
from the normal ie7 icon & you should connect.

MC

Dec 27, 2007, 5:29:08 PM12/27/07
I am having the same problem. At some point during a session, Outlook and
other apps work fine, but IE stops working. The only way I can get it to
work again is by restarting OR if I click a Web link from an out look email,
IE starts working again. I am not sure if Outlook is opening a different
version of IE (no addons) or if it simply "remembers" how to connect to the
internet.

Either way, it is annoying.

mileshi56

Nov 19, 2009, 8:51:01 AM11/19/09
I tried this, but when I clicked OK on the Internet Properties sheet after
resolving all the conditions above - it just gave me an hour glass - I could
not find "inet.xxx" in the task list of which there are currently 70 running)
- so it is still not running. IE 7 ignores all links either from an
application (Excel, Outlook or directly from IE itself). Time to reboot

I love MS - NOT!