Re: IEAK 8 Package - no Prompt for Reboot

Robert Aldwinckle

Jul 30, 2009, 9:35:18 PM7/30/09
(cross-post added to IEAK)
"Alan Edwards" <edw...@southcom.com.au> wrote in message news:imb4759g5i71129kn...@4ax.com...
>I am unaware of Microsoft monitoring this old IEAK for IE6 group.
> While there does not seem to be a current newsgroup for IEAK,

See above but they haven't had a presence there for a long time either.

But what was the question? ; )

Oh. From April...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=nielsvd&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.ieak&p=1&tid=1447f1f9-b1fb-4ed3-beca-657df254da25

and May...

"nielsvd" <nie...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BBD7B3C-CBDC-4046...@microsoft.com...
> Microsoft Please provide a solution for this, the IEAK 8 tool doesn't support
> manual rebooting after installing IE8.

Why would an administrator want "manual rebooting"?
That doesn't sound like "automation". <eg>

---

Briany4567

Jul 31, 2009, 5:37:01 AM7/31/09
Do the reasons really matter? The more important question is why does
Microsoft put the option there and it not function?

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to IEAK)
> "Alan Edwards" <edw...@southcom.com.au> wrote in message news:imb4759g5i71129kn...@4ax.com...
> >I am unaware of Microsoft monitoring this old IEAK for IE6 group.
> > While there does not seem to be a current newsgroup for IEAK,

Robert Aldwinckle

Jul 31, 2009, 10:31:31 AM7/31/09

"Briany4567" <Brian...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D924D25-3C90-45A2...@microsoft.com...

> Do the reasons really matter? The more important question is why does
> Microsoft put the option there and it not function?

I re-read the question. It still seems like a contradiction to me:
1. Hands free
AND?
2. Reboot prompt

What happens if you don't use Hands free? Do you get a prompt then?

Otherwise, does this symptom happen only to a restricted user account?
E.g. perhaps that prompt option should only be seen by users who have
administrative authority?

---

Briany4567

Jul 31, 2009, 10:50:01 AM7/31/09
The IEAK has an option for "silent" or as the original poster calls it "hands
free" installation. When going through the steps to build the .exe/.msi that
IEAK ultimately produces it give you the option on how to behave upon
completion of install.

The options are basically prompt the user for restart. (The issue in
question here) do not restart or restart without prompting.

The "prompt the user for restart" behaves exactly the same as restart
without prompting. This is ultimately the issue I would like to have
resolved. I want it to behave the way it advertises and actually prompt the
user.

Also, it does not matter the user's permissions on the machine. I have had
domain admins experience the same auto reboot as a restricted user.