TransferRequestHandler and extionsionless URL's

Dann S Washko

Nov 11, 2016, 11:29:48 AM11/11/16
I have been reading up on TransferRequestHandler and extionsless URL's and have what I think is a very basic question but cannot seem to find a direct answer on. If IIS 7.5 is running in integrated node and a request comes in on an extionless URL for an application on an application pool that is not the default application or application pool, does that request go though the default application TransferRequestHandler?

More directly, do all extnesionless URL requests go through the default application TransferRequstHandler regardless of what application they are for?

Some history on why I am asking: In NewRelic we see a lot of transactions on the Default application when we actually have nothing running under the default application other than load balancer health checks hitting the default application. The only transaction is TransferRequestHandler. Since all our other applications use extensionless URL's I would expect to see TransferRequestHandler transactions listed under the application, but there are none of these transactions. So that makes me wonder whether any extensionless URL is first triggering the TransferRequestHandler in the default application before being routed to the proper application by the TransferRequestHandler.