Cannot load ASP pages on Windows 2003 Server; password synch probl

Shane Miller

Aug 16, 2004, 3:29:04 PM8/16/04
I have spent a number of hours already troubleshooting this, following the
various KB articles that are commonly-referred to for this problem. My best
guess right now is that I have a password synchronization error that I'm
unable to fix, despite following articles 269367 and 297989. Despite
following the steps in these two articles, I still get error 80110414 at the
command prompt when I run synciwam.

I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting and I won't include all the info
I've gathered, but here's some that might be pertinent.

1. The problem in general terms is that I can't get any .asp pages to run.
asp.net is working fine, and .aspx etc presents no problem. When I attempt
to run a .asp file by browsing to it I get either a Server Application Error
(in isolation mode) or a 500 error (with iis 5 isolation mode off) in my
browser, depending on whether or not I've turned on IIS 5 isolation mode. I
also get different error messages in the event log when I turn on isolation
mode (detailed below). I generally run the server with isolation mode off,
and turned it on just during this troubleshooting process. It is off at the
moment.

2. I can't seem to get detailed error messages, despite following the steps
here: http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109

3. I followed the steps in a KB article to create a test asp app and it is
accessible by using the form here: http://www.laurelblack.com/input.htm
Feel free to visit it. You can view some of the .aspx files in action here:
http://www.callcenters24x7.com --- there is no trouble with the .net
framework files, just .asp. I have also created an empty file named test.asp
here: http://www.laurelblack.com/test.asp

4. With isolation mode off, I get the following errors in the application
log:
a. Event ID 5, source Active Server Pages, "Error: ASP will not serve
requests because it could not perform the first request initialization."
b. Event ID 2266, source W3SVC-WP, "The account that the current worker
process is running under does not have SeTcbPrivilege privilege, the
anonymous password sync feature and the Digest authentication feature are
disabled."

5. With isolation mode on, I get the following error in the application log:
Event ID 2236, source W3SVC-WP, "The server failed to load application
'/LM/W3SVC/1368274948/Root'. The error was 'Server execution failed"

6. With isolation mode on, I get the following error in the system log:
Event ID 10010, source DCOM, "The server
{3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1} did not register with DCOM within the
required timeout."

--

Shane Miller
Call Centers 24x7

Curt_C [MVP]

Aug 16, 2004, 3:44:51 PM8/16/04
Have you gone into the IIS manager, to the "Web Services Extensions" and
enables ASP?

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Shane Miller" <Shane...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shane Miller

Aug 16, 2004, 4:01:04 PM8/16/04
Thanks for the reply.

Yes. Plus, I doubt I would get the error messages I was getting if it
weren't enabled there --- the process wouldn't get that far.

I have also uninstalled and then reinstalled Active Server Pages by drilling
down to it in Add/Remove Windows Components in the Control Panel Add or
Remove Programs applet.

URLScan is *not* installed.

-Shane

Jeff Dillon

Aug 18, 2004, 12:30:54 PM8/18/04
Just set the password to be the same manually, in both places.

Also, as a test, add IWAM to the admin group temporarily

Jeff

"Shane Miller" <Shane...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Shane Miller

Aug 18, 2004, 8:25:02 PM8/18/04
I had tried both of these things, to no avail.

I did, however, solve the problem during a late night. I'm not sure what
the problem was, and I think it was a combination of things. However I found
a KB article that detailed the file permissions that were necessary, from the
root right on down, just implementing that procedure took a good bit of time.
Also the KB article was for Windows 2000, I didn't know of a
completely-detailed reference to do the same with 2003 Server but I knew
enough about the differences to port the procedure over successfully. That,
plus some additional configuration, seemed to do the trick. If I hadn't been
in a mad rush, I would have taken detailed notes to include here.