ASP Classic to ?? file

Mojo

May 1, 2012, 10:36:28 AM5/1/12
Hi All

I'm trying to way up my options as to which is the best output option
(file-wise) for my ASP app, but I'm getting lost in the deluge of nearly
good options!! :0)

All I want is to export data to an Excel doc and then add a few nice colours
and borders to the data, but having looked at the options I get:

a) The classic 'generate html and then save it as an xls file' solution
loses gridlines, doesn't automatically save as a workbook when you go to
save as, doesn't provide multiple worksheet options, etc.

b) The ASP > ADO > Excel template file option only really allows you to add
row after row of info you can't really format columns, create totals, etc

c) The server.createobject method (like you can with a desktop app) appears
to be a no-no as Excel in a server-side environment looks like it wasn't
designed for this purpose and will hang the server if 2.4 users access it at
the same time.

Am I right re the above?

Is there a better solution?

Similarly when creating a 'doc' file, my options seem to be:

a) An RTF file, but when you put a picture in one of these the filesize is
increased by about 1000% and you can really only add piccies in the original
doc > rtf convert as the dynamic approach just doesn't work!

b) The html as a doc method seems OK, but again you can't seem to add/embed
pics to this doc.

c) MS server.createobject is a no-no as per the excel no-no.

d) To PDF seems to be an option, but these aren't editable and you need to
buy a component to do this - right?

Again, am I right on the above? Is there a better solution?

Thanks

Mojo