Class doesn't support Automation: 'CreateObject'

Roger

Jul 26, 2010, 9:46:19 PM7/26/10
I've also posted this over in the data.rdo group, because I'm not sure where
it belongs.

We have an old ASP application. A couple of our pages have some client side
vbscript with the command (NOTE - this is client side scripting)

set rst = CreateObject( "ADODB.Recordset")

On both pages, Internet Explorer started generating the script error Class
doesn't support Automation: 'CreateObject'

This just started, so we are fairly certain it was a recent XP security
patch (all our clients use Windows XP, IE 7).

Does anyone know what patch caused this this problem and if there is a work
around, other than removing the patch.

We have someone working on updating the code to .NET, but its going to take
them a while. Looking for a quick work around. Thanks.

Dan

Jul 27, 2010, 4:47:10 AM7/27/10

"Roger" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

As client side code this is off topic for this newsgroup - ASP is a server
side scripting platform. It's not applicable to RDO either. I do see that
you posted it to microsoft.public.data.ado which is the relevant place, but
I'm not sure that you'll get much help there as it's very quiet.

You may well be seeing the effect of additional security lockdowns in an XP
patch, if that's the case then it's going to be fiddly to sort out. Are
these intranet clients, or public? If the former, you should be able to use
a GPO to adjust the security.

As to .NET, that's not going to help either - you can't use .NET code in
client side scripts in a browser.

It think you're going to have to uninstall patches one by one until you find
the culprit.

--
Dan

Dan

Jul 27, 2010, 4:54:12 AM7/27/10

"Dan" <ne...@worldofspack.com> wrote in message

Just a quick update - has IE8 been installed on these PCs as part of the
updating? While ADODB.Recordset is marked as "safe for scripting" I've read
that it's not on the IE8 list of approved ActiveX DLLs and so will have to
be manually added to the security settings, but I can't find anything on the
MS site about this.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe an update for an
anti-virus or security application might have caused this, such as Symantec
tools.

--
Dan

Roger

Jul 27, 2010, 6:56:07 AM7/27/10
Thanks for the reply. I'll check anti-virus software, etc. Our .NET
programmer is going to eliminate the client side scripting requirment.

We are still using IE7 at work. I patched up an XP test box with all the
'priority' updates and couldn't break that box, so it may be anti-virus
software or some kind of security policy. I'll have to look around.

thanks.

"Dan" wrote:

> .

Roger

Jul 31, 2010, 7:49:03 AM7/31/10
An update on this. You were right...it was Mcafee's Host Intrustion
Prevention software. They sent down some new policies that blocked
adodb.recordset on clients. Fortunately they removed this block to give us
time to rewrite out code (and update to .NET).

Next thing that scares me is that we are still using RDS. We need to get
rid of that too.

"Dan" wrote:

> .

JamesSobun