INTERNET_OPTION_DATA_RECEIVE_TIMEOUT has no effect and client side times out

Damian M

Oct 10, 2011, 2:05:08 AM10/10/11

We are using the WinINet.Dll to post a HTTP request to the server and
in turn which waits for a response.
We have noticed that the client side times out after 30secs when the
server takes more than 30secs to respond due to the processing.
Tested with IE 7 and 8, both causes the timeout.
This works fine when the processing on the server takes less than
30secs.

Further we noticed that even the following is set from the client
side, before the request is made, it has no effect

DECLARE INTEGER InternetSetOption IN WININET.DLL INTEGER, INTEGER,
INTEGER @, INTEGER
lnTimeoutSecs = 90 * 1000
llRetVal=InternetSetOption(hIPSession,
INTERNET_OPTION_DATA_RECEIVE_TIMEOUT, @lnTimeoutSecs,4)

We could overcome this by adding the registry subkey “ReceiveTimeout”,
which need to be done at each client computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/181050

Is there any way that this timeout value can be increased
programmetically to more than 30secs which is the default?
Please help.