Does WinInet support FTPS ?

Mark Moss

Feb 13, 2010, 7:33:50 PM2/13/10
Ladies/Gentlemen

I need to know if WinInet supports file transfer to FTPS sites?

If not what do I use to send and receive files from them?

Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 16, 2010, 5:23:41 PM2/16/10
Sheng Jiang

I noticed that you are the MVP that answers most of the questions in
these inetsdk news groups and

was wondering if you could answer this one for me.

thanks

Mark Moss

"Mark Moss" <mark...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Brian Cryer

Feb 22, 2010, 9:11:46 AM2/22/10
"Mark Moss" <mark...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Ladies/Gentlemen
>

> I need to know if WinInet supports file transfer to FTPS sites?

Yes. I use WinInet in a Delphi application to send and receive files.

What you probably want (as a sequence, you can look up the specifics) is:

1. InternetOpen - to initialise the WinInet API.
2. InternetConnect - to make an FTP conection.

then any of:
- FtpFindFirstFile and InternetFindNextFile - to get the contents of a
folder.
- FtpPutFile - to copy a local file to the server.
- FtpGetFile - to copy a file down from the server.
- FtpSetCurrentDirectory - to set the folder on the server.

whilst I've not included it here, do remember to close any handles that you
open.

Does that give you a sufficient taster?
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Mark Moss

Feb 22, 2010, 1:47:54 PM2/22/10
Brian

I really do appreciate your answer, however it does not refereance
my question.

I know that Wininet supports FTP and I have that working with no
problems.

What I want to know is does it support FTPS ( Secure FTP ) - like
HTTPS ( Secure HTTP )

And I would like to know how to implement Secure FTPS.

Thanks

Mark Moss

"Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> wrote in message

Brian Cryer

Feb 23, 2010, 4:10:15 AM2/23/10
Hi Mark,

sorry, I completly missed the all important "S". My mistake.

As far as I'm aware, no, the WinInet api does not support FTPS :( so you
will need to look for a third party library to do it for you. Whilst I've
not used any (although I will need to in time), I do believe that there are
a number of free libraries as well as commercial ones. Obviously what you
use may be dictated by your development language, but I'd suggest not
rejecting the free ones just because they are free.

For example:

www.indyproject.org - site looks like it isn't well maintained, but the
software which is open source has a good following. Delphi.
.NET has libraries for FTPS (I think) - take a look at
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/FTP_Secure.aspx

Be aware that SFTP and FTPS are different, although I think SFTP can also
mean FTPS.

Just noticed that you've also posted this to one of the Embarcadero forums,
which implies that you might be using Delphi so the indyproject may be your
best bet.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for my initial wrong answer! (and good for you for finding my "real"
email address - otherwise it would have probably been a week or so before
I'd have checked this newsgroup again.)
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian