Testbuild Solaris Readme File for UnixIE 5.0 SP1.

Brion Stone

Oct 9, 2001, 11:47:33 AM10/9/01
The following text is for the Test build of UnixIE 5.0 SP1:

----------------------------------
README
Internet Explorer 5 for Solaris (SPARC)
with Outlook Express
Service Pack 1 (SP1)
August 22, 2001
----------------------------------

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation, 1995-2001

The readme for your version of Internet Explorer for UNIX is named
readme.<PLATFORM>.txt, where PLATFORM refers to sun, hp, etc.

This document provides the information you need to get started and
late-breaking information to supplement the product documentation.

========
CONTENTS
========

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
SETUP
Downloading Internet Explorer 5
Installing Internet Explorer 5
Uninstalling Internet Explorer 5
KNOWN ISSUES
Solaris Compatibility
Solaris 2.4 and below
Solaris 2.5
Ultra 5's and 10's
Miscellaneous
Internet Explorer User Interface Issues
Outlook Express Issues
IEAK Issues
Miscellaneous Issues
USER AGENT
USING JAVA
Java Packaging via the IEAK
COMMON DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT INTEGRATION
AN ALTERNATE WAY TO ORGANIZE FAVORITES
NTLM DOMAIN AUTHENTICATION
CUSTOM PACKAGING VIA THE IEAK
SUPPORT

===================
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
===================

To run the released version of Internet Explorer 5 for Solaris, your
system must meet the following minimum requirements:

* An Ultra 1 or greater
* English Solaris 2.6 and above
* 32 MB of RAM (64 MB recommended)
* 68 MB of hard-disk space to perform the installation

=====
SETUP
=====

Downloading Internet Explorer 5 SP1
-----------------------------------

You can download Internet Explorer 5 SP1 from the following HTTP and FTP
sites:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/ie/unix/sol/ie5_sp1test/ie5setup.sunos5

The file ie5setup.sunos5 is a self-extracting executable that contains all
the files you will need.

Installing Internet Explorer 5 SP1
----------------------------------

NOTE: Internet Explorer should not be installed to the same directory
as an installation of a lesser version number.

1) Make the setup file executable; 'chmod +x ie5setup.sunos5'.
2) Run the executable; './ie5setup.sunos5'.
3) When Setup prompts for an installation directory, accept
the default directory or type in a new directory path.
(Note that installing to the default directory,
/usr/local/microsoft, may require root access.)

To run Internet Explorer:

After Internet Explorer 5 is installed, you can start the
browser by running "<installation directory>/bin/iexplorer".

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 5 SP1
------------------------------------

You must remove the current installation directory, for example,
'rm -rf /usr/local/microsoft'.

Additionally, there is a directory named ".microsoft" in the home
directory for each user account that has run Internet Explorer at
least once. This directory may also be deleted if the user wishes to
remove all personal settings for Internet Explorer (including cookies,
history and favorites).

If you implemented CDE integration as explained below, you should
remove it by deleting the "IE5.dt" file from the system or user
directory.

============
KNOWN ISSUES
============

Solaris Compatibility
---------------------

Use of any or all of these patches is subject to any license terms
that may accompany the patch.

o Solaris 2.5.1 and below

Internet Explorer is not supported on Solaris 2.5.1 and below.

o Ultra 5's and 10's

To run Internet Explorer on an Ultra 5 or an Ultra 10, the following
Solaris Graphics patches are required:

For Sol 2.6 apply patch 105362-10 or later.

o Patch requirements

Internet Explorer for Unix 5.0 SP1 includes a script which automatically
checks for appropriate patches when "iexplorer", "oexpress", or
"oecontacts"
are run. The output of this script is stored in /var/tmp/IE_host_check.

o Miscellaneous

If the Sun's transparent shared memory is enabled (XSUNTRANSPORT),
Internet Explorer hangs
on startup. This is established to be a Sun Solaris Bug, reported as
bug 4144519.

If you install Internet Explorer on a host machine, and use NFS to
mount the installation on another machine using a different
pathname, then you will not be able to execute Internet Explorer on
the second machine. Similarly, if you move the installation
directory to a different pathname, you will not be able to execute
Internet Explorer. In both cases you will receive the following
error message:

Support for SunOS <version> has not been installed on this system.

...where <version> indicates the currently running Solaris version.

To fix the problem, ensure that the environment variable MSFT_HOME
is set to the name of the installation directory before starting
Internet Explorer. For example, if you mounted or renamed the
installation directory as /net/myhost/local/ms, then execute this
command:

(csh) setenv MSFT_HOME /net/myhost/local/ms/
or
(sh) set MSFT_HOME=/net/myhost/local/ms/ ; export MSFT_HOME

You may use alternative approaches. For example, experienced users
may prefer to make a copy of the "bin/iexplorer" command, which is a
simple shell script, and change the directory reference on line 3.

If you have multiple platforms installed in a single directory, you
should set the environment variable MSFT_HOME to the name of the
installation directory before starting Internet Explorer or Outlook
Express.

Internet Explorer User Interface Issues
---------------------------------------

o Internet Explorer does not display properly under GrayScale or GreyStatic
mode.

o Address auto-complete does not always work as expected for addresses
with mixed case.

o In the Associations tab of the Internet Options Menu, the command line
field cannot contain output redirection statements
(e.g.: cat %1>/dev/audio).

o In the Programs tab of the Internet Options Menu, the script
specified cannot include command line arguments.

o Changes made to the user style sheet (Internet Options General tab,
Accessibility) take effect once Internet Explorer is restarted.

o Using Internet Explorer with the Exceed X Server may produce
undesirable interface side-effects. For example, the accelerator
keys or keyboard access to the address bar may not function.

o Using Internet Explorer with any X Server running in 16 bit color
mode is not supported.

o Experienced users of X11 can set color preferences using X resources
with the class name "Iexplorer". For detailed information about
these settings, see <installation directory>/ie/resources.txt.

Outlook Express Issues
----------------------

o Automatic disconnect

Some IMAP4 servers are configured to disconnect OE after a preset amount
of
idle time. When this happens, OE will report the server disconnection
with
a warning dialog box. To reconnect, click on another mail folder that
will
allow OE to automatically reconnect to the IMAP4 server.

o Upgrading from OE4 to OE5

OE will automatically upgrade your OE4 settings the first time OE5 is
run. Any changes made to your OE4 configuration after the upgrade will
not affect your OE5 configuration.

o Mail import from Unix files

OE will create duplicate copies of any messages that are imported
more than once. To prevent any confusion during mail import, it is best
to use an empty mail folder for import operations.

o Mail import from Netscape

OE is not able to automatically import unsent mail from Netscape.

Miscellaneous Issues
--------------------

o If an invalid name is given to the SOCKS proxy setting, Internet
Explorer will bypass the proxy altogether.

o News URLs which contain a # character in the message ID will fail to
open in the news viewer specified by the Internet Options Programs
tab.

o Internet Explorer may leave files in a temporary directory
(/var/tmp, /tmp, or the directory pointed to by the $TMPDIR
variable). These files are not needed and may be safely deleted
whenever Internet Explorer is not running.

o If you manipulate and/or delete files from the .microsoft directory
while the browser is running, the browser may hang.

o If different people share a common user ID, network authentications
made by one person may be available to others who are running
simultaneous copies of the browser.

o When downloading files, Internet Explorer will sometimes append "(1)" to
the first
extension in the filename, replacing the remainder of the filename
if it exists. For example xxx.tar.Z would be renamed xxx.tar(1).Z

o Download may fail if the Temporary Internet Files cache doesn't have
sufficient space to accommodate the downloaded file size. You can
change the amount of space allocated for Temporary Internet Files
size from the Internet Options General tab.

o When saving a file, Internet Explorer may not append the correct file
extension to
the filename suggested in the "Save As" dialog. For example, .Z
files may be saved as .z files, or the filename may have no
extension at all. Without this extension, Internet Explorer will not
reinterpret
the file correctly upon reopening. To work around this problem,
ensure the appropriate extension is appended to the filename before
saving.

o Internet Explorer 5 SP1 for UNIX supports most of the features
and technologies of Internet Explorer for Windows, but also differs
in some respects. For example, Internet Explorer for UNIX does not
support downloadable ActiveX controls or browsing and organizing
your local files and folders within the browser window. Other
unsupported features include filters/transitions in CSS and
HTML Applications (HTAs). These differences are noted in the
comprehensive product documentation on Site Builder Workshop
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop).

o Internet Explorer for UNIX offers some features not found on the
Windows version as well, such as Emacs-style keyboard shortcuts and
external program associations. For a complete list of the latest
features in Internet Explorer 5 for UNIX, see the product home page
at http://www.microsoft.com/unix/ie.

==========
USER AGENT
==========

The User Agent String for Internet Explorer 5 is static except for the
third field which depends on the Operating System and the processor
you are using.

Here is a sample configuration and the user agent string
generated by Internet Explorer:

Any Ultra, Solaris 2.6:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; SP1; SunOS 5.6 sun4u; X11)

==========
USING JAVA
==========

Internet Explorer 5 SP1 for Solaris integrates support for the
Sun Microsystems Plug-in Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to support
Java applets.

Note: Installation of the JVM is optional. If you do not install it,
a reminder will appear when Java content is encountered while
browsing. This reminder may be disabled when it appears, so that
applets will simply not display when encountered on Web pages.

In the event that you encounter issues while installing or using the
JRE or JDK, support and training are available at the Web site
indicated below.

If you do not already have a version of Sun's Plug-in JVM installed
on your system, have your system or network administrator download and
install the Java Run-time Environment (JRE) for your platform from the
following site:

http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/

After the run-time is installed, add the Plug-in's bin directory
containing the "java" executable to your UNIX path variable. Internet
Explorer will find and execute the first "java" or "jre" available in
this path. For example:

setenv PATH "$PATH:<JRE bin directory>"

Alternatively, you can set the MS_JAVA_VM environment variable to
point directly to your "jre" executable. For example:

setenv MS_JAVA_VM /bin/jre

This approach allows you to choose between multiple JVMs on your
system or to rename this particular JVM.

You will find the Java Plug-in in the one of the Java installation's
subdirectories (e.g., /opt/NSCPcom/plugins/, /usr/j2se/plugin/sparc/ns4/).
You must set the NPX_PLUGIN_PATH to the directory that contains the
Java Plug-in Library (javaplugin.so).
(in csh) % setenv NPX_PLUGIN_PATH /usr/j2se/plugin/sparc/ns4

In order to view unsigned applets, you must disable java permission.
Here is a way to open up all permissions. This is a large security risk:
1. Create a local .java.policy file (copy from
($JRE_HOME)/lib/security/java.policy to ~/.java.policy).
Add write permissions for user to ~/.java.policy .
2. Use ($JRE_HOME)/bin/policytool to edit your private java policy.
3. Remove all policies in the list.
4. Select Add Policy Entry button from the Policy Tool window.
The Policy Entry window should appear.
5. Select Add Permission button from the Policy Entry window.
The Permissions window should appear.
6. Select the Permissions drop down list from the Permissions window Select
AllPermission from the list. Select the OK button to confirm.
7. Select the Done button from the Policy Entry window.
8. Select File->Save from the Policy Tool window.
Note: You have just given all permissions to unsigned applets. This leaves
you open to certain security vulnerabilities. Run only applets that you know
are not harmful.

By default Internet Explorer does not display output from the JVM. To
enable output to the console, set the SHOW_MS_JAVA_OUTPUT variable to
true. For example:

setenv SHOW_MS_JAVA_OUTPUT true

Alternatively, if the "Java logging enabled" checkbox is selected in
the Internet Options Advanced tab, Internet Explorer will log JVM
output to ~/.microsoft/Java/javalog.txt.

You are now ready to have Java applets automatically launched in Sun's
Java Runtime Environment when encountered on Web sites via Internet
Explorer.

Use of the JRE or JDK from Sun Microsystems is governed by the
licensing terms, conditions, and waivers that accompany it.

Java Packaging via the IEAK
---------------------------

The Runtime Environment for Java on Solaris can be included in your
Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) customized package.
Instructions to create the JRE package to redistribute via the IEAK
can be found by navigating to the following page:

http://www.microsoft.com/unix/ie/techinfo/ieak/default.asp

When the runtime is packaged according to these instructions, it will
be installed to <install>/external/sunos5/ when the user runs the
custom Internet Explorer setup program.

======================================
COMMON DESKTOP ENVIRONMENT INTEGRATION
======================================

If you run Internet Explorer within a CDE session, it will adopt the
CDE color scheme unless overridden with explicit color settings.

If you install Internet Explorer on Solaris 2.6, you will be asked
whether you wish to install Internet Explorer as the default browser
on your desktop. If you answer yes, the generic Web browser icon will
launch Internet Explorer, and the default action for an HTML file will
be to launch Internet Explorer and open the file.

The setup program installs an IE.dt file on your system to enable this
CDE integration. If you are user "root", the file is added to the
directory /etc/dt/appconfig/types/C, and will affect all users on the
system. Otherwise, the file will be added to the directory
~/.dt/types, and will affect only you.

The file "IE.dt" is in the "ie" subdirectory of the installation, and
can be copied to other users' ~/.dt/types directory.

CDE integration can be removed by simply deleting the "IE.dt" file
from the system or user directories, and restarting the session.

There is a set of Internet Explorer icons for use with CDE, in the
ie/ie5icons subdirectory of the installation. They can be used by
administrators who want to place the Internet Explorer logo on the
desktop.

AN ALTERNATIVE WAY TO ORGANIZE FAVORITES

In addition to being able to organize favorites through the Internet
Explorer user interface, you can also manipulate your favorites
through the file system. Your favorites are organized and maintained
in the directory, ~/.microsoft/Favorites. You should shut down
Internet Explorer to make changes to this directory. The changes you
make will be reflected in your Favorites menu when you restart
Internet Explorer.

==========================
NTLM DOMAIN AUTHENTICATION
==========================

This release of Internet Explorer supports authenticating users
against Web servers which are configured to do NTLM Challenge Response
Authentication. NTLM Domain Authentication allows you to access your
organization's secure Windows-NT IIS/BackOffice based Intranet
applications from your UNIX desktop.

=============================
CUSTOM PACKAGING VIA THE IEAK
=============================
The Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) allows administrators
to customize, configure, and restrict browser settings, lowering the
total cost of ownership to maintain a organization-wide installation
of Internet Explorer. The IEAK is available for this release; see
http://ieak.microsoft.com for registration and download information.

=======
SUPPORT
=======

Microsoft sponsors a public peer-to-peer newsgroup named
"microsoft.public.inetexplorer.unix". To access this newsgroup, use
Outlook Express to access the Microsoft public news server at
msnews.microsoft.com.

You may use Microsoft's online Knowledge Base to obtain detailed
product information at http://support.microsoft.com. The Knowledge
Base also contains late-breaking information and answers to frequently
asked customer questions, so check it often! To get information on
these products, specify Internet Explorer or Outlook Express in field
one and topic information in field two. Microsoft also offers
telephone-based technical support by calling Microsoft Technical
Support at (425)635-7123.

Myron Berg

Oct 9, 2001, 3:31:48 PM10/9/01
I am running Solaris 8 on the Bourne shell. The install process seems to go
OK until I try to run Explorer, and then I get the message:

relocation error: file /usr/local/microsoft/progs/sunos5/iexplorer: symbol
Mw_shlwapi_DependancyNode: referenced symbol not found. Killed.

When I reinstall the ie5_sp1beta_sol again, then Explorer runs again without
any error messages, although I haven't been able to get Java to work.

Alan Teeder

Oct 9, 2001, 6:53:21 PM10/9/01

"Myron Berg" <Myron...@dsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message
I got this also first time.

The second time I deleted everything in /usr/local/microsoft and then
re-installed.

On first run of iexplorer I noticed (with ps -aef) that the machine as
spending a long time checking patches, so I had a lot of coffee. (I mean a
LOT of coffee)

Many of the problems that I had with the previous version have gone away,
but like Mats Larsson I have problems opening java stuff.

Alan

Stefaan A Eeckels

Oct 10, 2001, 2:57:26 AM10/10/01
On Tue, 9 Oct 2001 23:53:21 +0100 "Alan Teeder" <ajte...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> "Myron Berg" <Myron...@dsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message
>

> I got this also first time.
>
> The second time I deleted everything in /usr/local/microsoft and then
> re-installed.

I deleted /usr/local/microsoft (that is, I moved it out of the way) before
installing and I had no problems.

> On first run of iexplorer I noticed (with ps -aef) that the machine as
> spending a long time checking patches, so I had a lot of coffee. (I mean a
> LOT of coffee)

Not much more that one minute, here (Ultra 60 1360).

> Many of the problems that I had with the previous version have gone away,
> but like Mats Larsson I have problems opening java stuff.

I couldn't get Java to work with the previous build. With this one, no
problems whatsoever. I edited the startup scripts so they have the
two environment variables set. I use JDK version 1.3.1.

It's now possible to start Explorer and Outlook together, as well as several
instances of Explorer. The problem with the fonts is also gone, Explorer
recognized all of them the first time I ran it. Great.
Finally, the problem with the scroll bar seems to have been fixed as well.

All in all, a pretty good release. Keep up the good work.

--
Stefaan (GPG Fingerprint 25D8 551B 4C0F BF73 3283 21F1 5978 D158 7539 76E4)

Stefaan A Eeckels

Oct 11, 2001, 6:05:27 PM10/11/01
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:57:26 +0200 Stefaan A Eeckels <Stefaan...@ecc.lu> wrote:

> Finally, the problem with the scroll bar seems to have been fixed as well.

Unfortunately, large FTP directories (in my case generated by Squid) still
have scroll bars that are way too large.