Re: I E 8 Javascript issues

rob^_^

Apr 15, 2009, 4:03:38 AM4/15/09
Hi Denz,

Its your cookies that need to be enabled not active scripting. The web
developers have made a boo boo and given you a misleading error message..

Regards.

"Denz" <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can't change the weather location, page background color etc. on MSN
> homepage. Bottom Left window under the weather, local news etc states
> This
> module needs JavaScript to be enabled on your browser
> It is enabled ....looking at Internet Option from Tools it appears enabled
> in both Advanced and security tabs.
> Have uninstalled and reinstalled both IE 8 and Javascript. Microsoft tech
> could not fix even after 2 hrs with control of my laptop. Any
> suggestions?

CCodder

Apr 22, 2009, 4:58:03 PM4/22/09
Same problem...have tried all suggestions to no avail...is it Vista, IE8 or
what? Why no solution after all this time and many others having the same
problem?????

MJP-NB

May 20, 2009, 8:07:01 PM5/20/09
Can't change "Local News" module either. I have Vista, IE8. I suspect IE8
becuase changing this module worked fine with IE7.

Dee

Jul 13, 2009, 6:55:01 PM7/13/09
how do you enable cookies on IE 8?

gggmills

Jul 26, 2009, 10:44:01 AM7/26/09
Denz and all,

I had this same problem. It (from what I've read) seems to affect IE 7 and
IE 8 users who are running on Vista. It was affecting not only my MSN page,
but some other websites as well (including trying to log in to Tagged).

The solution (at least for me) is to turn off "Protected Mode" on IE.

You can do that by going into Tools > Internet Options; then clicking on
the "Security" tab; selecting the Internet zone (if it's not already
selected) and then unchecking the "Enable Protected Mode" near the bottom of
the dialog window. As the dialog window says, you'll have to restart IE when
enabling/disabling Protected Mode.

I'd suggest that you do a search or use IE help to read about Protected Mode
to determine what it does for you and if you really want to turn it off.

Note that there's an easy way of testing if Protected Mode is causing your
issues or not - Next time you run IE, right-click on the IE icon and select
"Run as administrator". When you run IE as administrator, Protected Mode is
disabled and you can see if your problems stop.

And finally, there's another option - if you're not sure about completely
disabling Protected Mode - add http://www.microsoft.com (or whatever site) to
your Trusted Sites. Use the same Tools > Internet Options > Security method
as above, but this time click on "Trusted Sites"; then click on the "Sites"
button and add msn. Note that Protected Mode is not enabled (by default) for
Trusted Sites.

Hope this helps.

88fan88fan

Aug 5, 2009, 7:23:02 PM8/5/09
i have a better way i use my msn everything works great

Olddad

Aug 9, 2009, 1:23:01 AM8/9/09
Ok found solution. Click delete browser history, uncheck first option that
says preserve favorites website data. Restart internet explorer. You should
now be able to change the weather location. You can go back and check
(renable) the preserve favorites website data. Works like a charm. At least
worked for me.

Plynn

Aug 9, 2009, 11:40:01 PM8/9/09
I am so happy I read your solution. Worked great I have been trying to
fix this foe weeks. thanks sooo much

Dave

Aug 23, 2009, 5:53:01 AM8/23/09
I run IE8 on my XP64 system no problem and also on a French XP home system .
Just updated my friend's XP Home system in French and the home site says
Javascript is disabled. Tried all the abover but cannot get rid of this.

Neil

Sep 21, 2009, 1:43:02 PM9/21/09
Denz,
Scroll down to the post by "Olddad." I have had the same problem as you.
His solution works!

Neil

Sep 21, 2009, 1:41:03 PM9/21/09
Thanls Olddad...what you said works! If anyone is having the same
problem...try this solution from Olddad. I have been trying to fix this
problem for about two weeks.

nursetlc

Oct 16, 2009, 2:16:01 PM10/16/09

nursetlc

Oct 16, 2009, 2:16:01 PM10/16/09

nursetlc

Oct 16, 2009, 2:19:01 PM10/16/09
Thank you...it took me a couple of attempts but I finally figured it out!

jd

Nov 13, 2009, 1:44:01 PM11/13/09
It all started when BING came around. Since BING is a main part of MSN, it
sucks...

moon

Nov 17, 2009, 8:21:01 PM11/17/09
I went to security in internet options hit custom and enable all that
scripting stuff works good.

fncycats

Dec 28, 2009, 8:21:01 PM12/28/09
For me the answer was to add MSN as a trusted site in internet options