Windows 98se reinstall

Pettycash

Feb 21, 2005, 10:12:47 AM2/21/05
Hi:

Well I am stuck in that place that I have read so many things about while
googling. BTW; I know just enough to be dangerous but am pretty good at
following directions while keeping a skeptical eye as to "proposed
solutions".

Long story short: had to reinstall win98se that came with Dell PC; old 566
pc - hey it still works for most of what I need. Everything is back except
for a few final problems. I was up to IE 6.1 and now I can't go back to 4.0
from the WIN98 CD because of the way the IE upgrades work. So I tried
putting 5.5 in; it seemed to take except I get the dll issues commonly
associated with the "can't go back" problem. I also got the infamous JAVA
messages commonly associated with this issue. I tried the IE repair tool but
it can't because "prior install failed to complete" - fairly certain that's
from the WIN98 reinstall (IE 4.0). Can't seem to uninstall any IE versions.
I did use regedit to change the "HKEY 100 registry value" without success
(yeah I backed it up elsewhere first).

So I can't use OE or IE BUT can get out on the web via Netscape. All other
programs appear OK; I did have to uninstall McAfee and Zonealarm to get this
far. OE opens and I can see my saved messages (though they won't open) but
can not see my contacts. If I try to receive messages it asks me for my
password which of course I either can not remember or it doesn't take the
one that I think it is. IE won't start at all.

I also get this odd message popping up on restart with a red x in the dialog
box as follows: FIRST Failed to set data for 'display'. There are no
options other than to close the box.

I am not especially up for reinstalling McAfee and scanning as it was a bit
of a challenge to uninstall in the first place.

Anyway; I am ready to call either DELL or MS and pay if necessary but I
would like to avoid reconstructing the wheel so I thought I would ask for
advice as to who to call and get the quickest answer. It seems that this is
a known problem so I am tempted to call MS directly and avoid a DELL support
person who may not be as familiar with the issue.

Any suggestions?

Pettycash

Michael Santovec

Feb 21, 2005, 1:31:00 PM2/21/05
You mention Win98 SE. SE came with IE/OE version 5. First edition of Win98 came with
version 4.

I'm guessing you reinstalled over the existing Win98. If you instead install Win98 into a
new directory, you'll get a fresh copy without any of the existing programs, but unlike a
Reformat, your data will still be there and can be imported.

"Pettycash" <lsad...@hotmail.com> wrote in message