illegal operation in wininet.dll

Bill Hayhow

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

I installed IE4.0 Final over IE4.0 PP2. Installation seemed to go well
('Full' installation). Now, IE 4.0 doesn't work at all. The IE4.0 window
appears and is immediately followed by an illegal operation in wininet.dll.
My version of wininet.dll is dated 9/18/97 12:00AM and is 360KB.

Any ideas?

Bill Hayhow
Marketplace Solutions
bha...@marketplacegroup.com
(248) 473-5900

Jamie

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Have you tried reinstalling?

Chip Ciammaichella

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Hi Richard,

FYI, cachevu.dll is no longer needed by IE4. You can just deltree the
folders and reboot.

--
Regards,

Chip Ciammaichella - ch...@raton.com
Win95/IE Resources - http://www.raton.com/~chip/reskit.htm

"The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked."
--

Richard Melville wrote in message <01bccf96$e3cc6ac0$37a70ed0@default>...
>The URL shown below details the method for solving the WININET.DLL and
>REGSVR32.DLL illegal operation or GPF problems. (There are a LOT of steps,
>so you should print the article before beginning.)

Bill Hayhow

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Yes. First, I uninstalled Quarterdeck Cleansweep (mentioned in application
notes). Then I did a complete reinstall. But still have the problem.

Jamie wrote in article <#I6dxD0z...@uppssnewspub04.moswest.msn.net>...

>Have you tried reinstalling?

Richard Melville

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

The URL shown below details the method for solving the WININET.DLL and
REGSVR32.DLL illegal operation or GPF problems. (There are a LOT of steps,
so you should print the article before beginning.)

http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q160/2/56.htm

HOWEVER, a shorter method seems to work nearly every time, so you may want
to try it first. The short method is shown below.

Incidentally, you can reinstall IE until you are blue in the face, and it
will NOT solve this problem unless you wipe out the history and cache
folders too.
-----------
Short Method --
This part completely erases the history and cache folders, which are
rebuilt properly when you restart Win 95 and use IE.

Boot to DOS
Go to C:\Windows
type -- smartdrv -- <enter>
type -- deltree history -- <enter and y to verify>
type -- deltree tempor~1 -- <enter and y to verify>

Restart W95 and run IE. This usually fixes the GPF problems.

In a worst case, as reported a few times, you may have to remove the
cookies folder as well. In which case, add 'deltree cookies' to the list
above. (You may wish to save cookies for custom sites by transferring them
to another folder and putting them back in the reconstructed cookies folder
when the system is running OK.

------------
Then, you will need to re-register these folders correctly.

With IE 3.0x NOT running, at the Windows 95 start menu 'run' line, run
these in succession:

REGSVR32 /U C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CACHEVU.DLL
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CACHEVU.DLL

Re-start Windows 95.

The first line 'unregisters' these special folders (without harming them).
The second line 're-registers' them as special folders with a special
appearance.

--
Richard Melville - Sun Valley, Idaho
rmel...@sunvalley.net