IE8 encryption question

Zeabed

Sep 28, 2009, 11:46:02 AM9/28/09
Pleading crass ignorance here, but have looked for info on this issue and
have not been able to find anyone with a pulse to answer it.

I have the latest version of IE8 (8.0.6001.18813) installed in a VAIO
VGN-FW300 Series notebook computer. My bank has just notified me that online
account access will only be possible as of October 1, 2009 for customers with
an 128-encryption capability browser. Is this level of encryption standard
in IE8? If not, what can I do to obtain the needed level of encryption so
that I can use my browser to carry out my routine banking transactions? (I
have Windows Vista Office/Student. The Help tab indicates "Cipher Strength:
256-bit, but I don't know if this refers to the same issue or not.) My VAIO
came with two IE8 browsers, a 64-bit version and a regular version that does
not indicate what standard encryption level it uses. Help with this question
will be highly appreciated.

Michael Santovec

Sep 28, 2009, 6:11:28 PM9/28/09
The "Cipher Strength: 256-bit" is better than needed, so you are fine.

The 128-bit encryption has been standard with the US version going back
to at least IE5, maybe farther. There were some issues with export
restrictions so that non-US versions were sometimes limited to 40-bit
encryption. But, I don't know if that still applies.

Use the following newsgroup for questions or problems with IE

You can also get to the Internet Explorer newsgroups via this web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
There select Internet Explorer

--

Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us

"Zeabed" <Zea...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Zeabed

Sep 28, 2009, 7:55:01 PM9/28/09
Thank you Michael. That's a relief. I recently switched from an old
computer (Win 98SE! Believe it or not) to a new VAIO, so I had a bit
(128-bit) of an info gap in my knowledge. Thank you also for pointing me in
the right direction, first time poster that I am.