involing old OE from a different HD????

Bob

Feb 23, 2009, 8:42:42 PM2/23/09
am upgrading from a slow clone to a much faster, more current CPU. The new
PC has a much larger HD that I wish to use as my master. I can't figure
out how to invoke the same old Outlook Express I've been using forever (with
all my folders, addresses, mail) on my old HD which will be slaved via an
icon on my new HD desktop.

Would appreciate any tips
TIA
Bob

Michael Santovec

Feb 23, 2009, 11:26:26 PM2/23/09
You can have only one version of OE per operating system. You'll need
to import the data from the old disk into your current OE.

You may of you like, create a new identity in the new OE and import the
old data into that. Or you could create a separate Windows Logon and
import the old data into that.

If you go the separate identities within a single Windows logon, they
will share a single physical WAB (Windows Address Book) file. If you go
with separate Windows logons, each will have its own WAB file.

Importing the messages and address book are straight forward. Do File,
Import. The account information however was stored in the registry for
the old operating system and is not easily accessible.

For some reference, see:
Backing Up, Recovering and Restoring Outlook Express versions 5 & 6
Files and Settings
http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/index.htm

For further help use the following newsgroup for questions or problems
with OE

You can also get to the Outlook Express newsgroups via this web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
There select Internet Explorer, then Outlook Express.

You will find out information about issues affecting Outlook Express 5/6
at:
http://www.oehelp.com/
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/6386/IE_ng_notes.htm
http://home.attbi.com/~jimpickering/