sign code Java Applet Security Internet Explorer Article ID 193877

mf...@wiu.edu

Jul 22, 2005, 4:02:47 PM7/22/05
We are trying to sign the java class for an applet so it will be able
to write to a file on the hard drive from Internet Explorer.

We are following the instructions in
"How to make your Java code trusted in Internet Explorer"
Article ID 193877 on msdn.microsoft.com.

Specifically, we prepared the following batch file:

javac S5.java
cabarc -s 6144 N mycab1.cab S5.class

setreg 1 true
makecert -sk MyKeyName -n "CN=My Publisher Name" MyTestCert.cer
cert2spc MyTestCert.cer MyTestCert.spc
signcode -j javasign.dll -jp LOW -spc MyTestCert.spc -k MyKeyName
mycab1.cab
start S5.html

After the signcode line, it generates the following error message:
Error: SignCode Failed result=8007007e, -2147024770

We followed the instructions in the document:
"PRB: Unable to Sign the Cabfile When Running Signcode" Article id
177178
and
"Collaboration data objects for Windows NT, for Windows 2000,
and Exchange 2000 require Outlook Express", Article id 327219

They did not help.

The errors occur on three totally independently configured Windows XP
computers.

Any help will be appreciated. Note, all we are trying to do is to
have a simple applet that will put an XML file on the hard drive using
a "test certificate."

If anyone can point to the documentation to do this under Windows XP
using Internet Explorer, FireFox, or Linux under Mozilla, that
would be appreciated. The stuff we found on the Internet seems
for earlier versions of Windows and we found nothing relevant
for the Linux browsers.

Dr. Laurence Leff Western Illinois University, Macomb IL 61455 ||(309)
298-1315
Stipes 447 Assoc. Prof. of Computer Sci. Pager: 309-367-0787 FAX:
309-298-2302
Secretary: eContracts Technical Committee OASIS Legal XML Member
Section

Here is the Java Code we are playing with. (Our end application will
be a little more complicated.) If you are interested in where
this will be used, this is the final piece of the clickthrough project
on sourceforge.net The other two pieces are already out there.

import java.io.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.applet.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.text.*;
import java.lang.*;

public class S5 extends Applet implements ActionListener{
static Button DoIt;
static Button zz;
static TextField MyBox;
static String s="";