Full-text index is not generated in HTML Workshop

Frank

Jun 13, 2008, 9:53:04 AM6/13/08
Hello, everybody,

I have an issue with HTML Help Workshop that puzzles me quite a bit: It
does not create a full-text index, no matter what the setting of "Full-text
search" is.

Using a full-text index that is already in a chm file works fine. I just
can't create it.

I use the following version of HTML Help Workshop that I loaded from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms669985(VS.85).aspx today:

HHW: 4.74.8702.0
HHA: 4.74.8702.0
ITCC: 4.72.7277.0

As I said, it doesn't matter if I set "Full-text search=Yes" in the HHP
file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Frank

Pete Lees

Jun 13, 2008, 10:05:02 AM6/13/08
Hi, Frank,

> I have an issue with HTML Help Workshop that puzzles me quite a bit: It
> does not create a full-text index, no matter what the setting of "Full-text
> search" is.

I'd recommend that you download and run MJ's Help Diagnostics, which is
available from here:

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

The likelihood is that one of the DLLs that the compiler uses to assemble
the full-text search "database" is missing or incorrectly registered. MJ's
Help Diagnostics will fix that for you.

Pete

Frank

Jun 13, 2008, 10:17:01 AM6/13/08
Hi, Pete

and thanks for your answer. I ran the program and it did not show any
problems. Everything is there and registered correctly. It just does not
generate a full-text index...

File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\cnvcnt.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\cnvtoc.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\gencnv.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\hhcout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\hhkout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\itcc.dll (Version: 4.72.7277.0)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\navout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\spcom.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\sprbuild.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\spredit.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\sprfile.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\sprlog.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\hhw.exe (Version: 4.74.8702.0)
File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\advpack.dll (Version: 5.0.2116.100)
File Found: ...\hhsetup.dll (Version: 5.2.3790.309)
File Found: ...\hha.dll (Version: 4.74.8702.0)

Regards,

Frank

Pete Lees

Jun 13, 2008, 10:51:01 AM6/13/08
Hi, again,

To clarify, are you referring to the full-text search function or the index
function? These are two separate functions with different setup requirements.
The index function requires you to add at least one index keyword, either
added to a .hhk file or embedded in an HTML topic file. If the problem is
with the full-text search function, is the Search tab present, and what
happens when you try to run a search?

If you've defined one or more secondary windows, have you chosen to include
the required tabs in the window -- Contents, Index, Search, and so on?

Here is a good tutorial on using HTML Help Workshop that may help:

http://frogleg.mvps.org/helptechnologies/htmlhelp/hhtutorials.html#char_hhw

Pete

Rob Chandler [MVP]

Jun 15, 2008, 10:07:25 PM6/15/08
Frank I need to see the whole log. hhctrl.ocx version isn't there.
Please attach to a post.

Also are you making foreign language help on say an Eng PC? This can lose
search if settings are not correct.

Rob

--
Rob Chandler
MS Help MVP
"Frank" <Fr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

apler

Jul 29, 2008, 5:38:00 PM7/29/08
This could be due to leaving or setting Binary index = no/false. Binary index
option must be yes/true for either auto-index or full-text search to succeed.

JCD

Nov 29, 2010, 8:44:04 AM11/29/10
Hello,
I have the same problem as the author of this thread and it must be the foreign language help on an Eng PC. What are the correct settings that I must use? Thanks in advance.

> On Friday, June 13, 2008 9:53 AM Fran wrote:

> Hello, everybody,

> I have an issue with HTML Help Workshop that puzzles me quite a bit: It
> does not create a full-text index, no matter what the setting of "Full-text
> search" is.
>

> Using a full-text index that is already in a chm file works fine. I just
> can't create it.
>
> I use the following version of HTML Help Workshop that I loaded from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms669985(VS.85).aspx today:
>
> HHW: 4.74.8702.0
> HHA: 4.74.8702.0
> ITCC: 4.72.7277.0
>
> As I said, it doesn't matter if I set "Full-text search=Yes" in the HHP
> file.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
>
> Frank

>> On Friday, June 13, 2008 10:05 AM PeteLee wrote:

>> Hi, Frank,

>> I'd recommend that you download and run MJ's Help Diagnostics, which is
>> available from here:
>>
>> http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs
>>
>> The likelihood is that one of the DLLs that the compiler uses to assemble
>> the full-text search "database" is missing or incorrectly registered. MJ's
>> Help Diagnostics will fix that for you.
>>
>> Pete

>>> On Friday, June 13, 2008 10:17 AM Fran wrote:

>>> Hi, Pete
>>>
>>> and thanks for your answer. I ran the program and it did not show any
>>> problems. Everything is there and registered correctly. It just does not
>>> generate a full-text index...
>>>
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\cnvcnt.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\cnvtoc.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\gencnv.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\hhcout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\hhkout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\itcc.dll (Version: 4.72.7277.0)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\navout.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\spcom.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\sprbuild.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\spredit.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\sprfile.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\sprlog.dll (Version: 2.0.0.119)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\hhw.exe (Version: 4.74.8702.0)
>>> File Found: ...\HTML Help Workshop\advpack.dll (Version: 5.0.2116.100)
>>> File Found: ...\hhsetup.dll (Version: 5.2.3790.309)
>>> File Found: ...\hha.dll (Version: 4.74.8702.0)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Frank

Reto

Jan 13, 2011, 3:22:56 PM1/13/11
Hello to everybody!

Has some-one solved their problem?

I have the same (or maybe similar) problem.
If I open the compiled CHM file directly, the search funtion works.
When I call the CMH file trough my VB6 application, it displays fine
the requested page but it is not possbile to perform a full-text
search - the tab is there but it is not possible to write the searched
therm!

Any ideas someone?

Ciao!
Reto

lmst...@bigpond.com

Mar 12, 2017, 4:33:08 AM3/12/17
More than 6 years on, all the links here have gone. All that's left is http://www.help-info.de/en/Help_Info_HTMLHelp/hh.htm
http://helpmaster.helpmvp.com
Was looking for an index generator but all the linked utilities have vanished, sadly.

http://www.helpmaster.info/hh-developmentaids-mkindex.htm
Gone
http://www.helpmaster.info/hh-developmentaids-hhkbuilder.htm
Gone
If anyone has copies of these files please post.
However, found that by including something like the following:

will automatically generate an index item for keyword, but the better way is to edit the items in the Index.hhk file directly with code like the following:

<OBJECT type="text/sitemap">
<param name="Name" value="SomeTopic">
<param name="Local" value="SomeTopic.htm">
</OBJECT>

Robert Chandler

Mar 12, 2017, 11:10:42 PM3/12/17
Nice to see that these Google duplicates of the old MS forums survived. Wish I could say the same about MS owned groups - LOL - Go Google.

So links

* MJ's diagnostics is maintained here:
http://kb.helpwaregroup.com/ms-html-help/mj-s-diagnostics

Often 3rd party programs corrupt the set of MS DLLs (DLL hell)
by installing old MS DLLs into mix. This will pick this nasty stuff
that causes search etc to stop working.

* The FAR HTML Toc/Index editor will generate a startup index / TOC
for you using your HTML files. And has a good editor -
http://www.helpwaregroup.com/products/far

The Helpmaster files are gone unfortunately when Josef passed away the family preserved his site but not downloads.

* http://www.helpmaster.info/hh-developmentaids-mkindex.htm
* http://www.helpmaster.info/hh-developmentaids-hhkbuilder.htm

The Help MVPs also preserved his site here

* http://www.helpmvp.com/

But if there are specific tools you need please give a shout
Rob - Help MVP