HHC5010 Error

Shawn M. Dooley

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
I've been trying to learn HTML Help Workshop using Char
James-Tanny's tutorial from the HTML Help Center website. After
completing (correctly, I think) the first 3 exercises and trying to
compile, I get the following error:

HHC5010: Error: Cannot open "c:\Projects\Paint\paint.chm". Compilation
stopped.

I am running Windows NT and have installed IE5 and HTML Help
Workshop as an Administrator. I am completely stumped on this one.

Shawn Dooley

Pete Lees

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
> HHC5010: Error: Cannot open "c:\Projects\Paint\paint.chm". Compilation
> stopped.

This means that a program has the paint.chm file open and is denying you
permission to overwrite it. More often than not, the program in question is
HTML Help Workshop itself. Therefore, you should ensure that the file is
closed and then try re-compiling.

Pete

Shawn M. Dooley

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
I was afraid you would say that. I thought maybe that was the problem.
But, I have tried closing all programs (and closing all files in HTML Help
Workshop) and trying to compile and I have tried logging in as both
Administrator and myself and nothing helps. I am still getting the error.
Nothing seems to help.
One interesting note is that the Help inside of hhw doesn't seem to work
either. I even tried using the View Compiled File option and opening one of
the compiled help files (.chm), but that gives the "Cannot open the file:
mk:@MSITStore:C:\WINNT\Help\hhaxref.chm" error.

Shawn

David Liske

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
Shawn,

I'm forwarding this to Char ... maybe she has some ideas about what's going
on.

David Liske
Microsoft HTML Help MVP 1999, 2000
http://mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/

Shawn M. Dooley <doo...@ictt.com> wrote in message

David Liske

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
Shawn,

> > > I've been trying to learn HTML Help Workshop using Char
> > > James-Tanny's tutorial from the HTML Help Center website. After
> > > completing (correctly, I think) the first 3 exercises and trying to
> > > compile, I get the following error:
> > >

> > > HHC5010: Error: Cannot open "c:\Projects\Paint\paint.chm". Compilation
> > > stopped.

> > > I am running Windows NT and have installed IE5 and HTML Help

David Liske

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
Shawn,

I'm forwarding this to Char ... maybe she has some ideas about what's

happening.

kalya...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2015, 7:07:00 AM1/28/15
Other problem I found is, if the *.chm file is marked as Read Only..
Right click the chm file->properties and un-check the read-only check-box.

This is how it helped me.