Text over image in HTML Help?

Woody

Sep 15, 2011, 3:09:53 AM9/15/11
I'm trying to get text superimposed on an image. I have two methods, both of which work in a browser (any of IE8, Firefox, or the browser window that appears when the HTML Help Workshop "View in browser" menu option is chosen), but neither works in HTML Help (HTML Help Workshop 4.74).

The methods that are being used are
1) Image is background in a table, and text is a table data cell.
OR
2) Image is background in a <div> using the in-line style backgound-image url(...), and text is <p> positioned relative to the image.

The symptom in both cases is that the background image isn't showing, although the test "overlay" appears. Using the table method, the table border does appear.

Is this a bug in HTML Help, or are these methods not supported in the HTML renderer that HTML Help is using?

Is there any other method of getting text to appear within images, without having to modify the image itself?

Using HTML Help as shipped with Windows XP, IE 8 installed.