Unable to complete login process due to delay in opening server co

childofthe1980s

Sep 15, 2009, 9:10:02 PM9/15/09
Hello:

On my Vista laptop, I have SQL 2005 Standard installed, along with GP 10.0.

This has never happened before. When I try to login through my ODBC
connection in Control Panel...Admin Tools...., I get the following error:

Connection failed:
SQL State: 08001
SQL Server Error 0
Unable to complete login process due to delay in opening server connection.

Obviously, this issue with the ODBC connection is preventing me for the
first time from logging into GP on my private laptop.

Specifcally, I get this error in the SQL Server DSN Configuration window
when I enter my "sa" password and click "Next".

Any ideas?

Just to see if the Windows Firewall was an issue, I temporarily turned it
off. No effect.

childofthe1980s

Leslie Vail

Sep 16, 2009, 9:28:01 AM9/16/09
Howdy,

Can you ping the server both by name and IP? If you can by IP and not by
name, that points to name resolution - DNS.
Have you flushed the DNS cache?
This one is out there, but is the protocol enabled?
Did it ever work?
Can you connect using the SQL Server driver and not the Native Client?
Is the server 64-bit?
Is the Server clustered?

Leslie

Leslie Vail

Sep 16, 2009, 9:31:01 AM9/16/09
David Musgrave has a blog article about this. Sorry for all of the questions
from previous post, figures David is again my first line of defense <grin>.
Here's the link.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/09/28/474698.aspx

I didn't have a chance to read it. I've got to rush off.

Leslie

childofthe1980s

Sep 16, 2009, 12:00:01 PM9/16/09
Thanks, Leslie! Here was the fix. I placed a period in the server name
field of the ODBC connection. That's all!

Again, thanks!

childofthe1980s

pat ciaramella

Oct 27, 2011, 2:07:41 PM10/27/11
That makes little sense and when using a "." in the server name , another error is received saying no such server name.

Here's the real fix which howdy dudey glanced over. In sql server configuration tools, named pipes protocol was disabled. Enabled that and all clients worked.