Frames Page as Home Page

Arlene Rice

May 19, 2002, 4:37:22 PM5/19/02
I created a frames page with 3 frames (banner on top, content on left, and
main on the right based on the Banner & Content template) in a new Web in
FP2K. I saved this frameset page as the home page, index.htm. I want to be
able to use a vertical navigation bar with text in the contents pane, but I
have two problems:

1. You can't get the navigation bar to display in the contents pane unless
you drag the contents pane page into the navigation structure. Of course, I
don't want the contents page to be a part of the navigation structure but if
I remove it, I can't get the navigation bar to display.
2. Even if I can get the first problem solved, how then do you get the
hyperlinks in the navigating bar to display the target page in the main
frame rather than opening into a full page?

All ideas are welcomed.

Arlene

Thomas A. Rowe

May 19, 2002, 5:15:31 PM5/19/02
Frames and the navigation component are not meant to be used together in the
same web.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Arlene Rice" <aer...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Arlene Rice

May 19, 2002, 5:29:07 PM5/19/02
That's what I thought but when you go to FP Help under the topic "Create a
frames page," they explain the use of the frames page by saying, "When you
create a frames page using one of the frames page templates in FrontPage,
the navigation between frames is already set up for you. In the Contents
frames page template, for example, clicking a hyperlink in the Contents
frame on the left displays a page in the Main frame (called the target
frame) on the right." Did I misread this?

--

Arlene

"Thomas A. Rowe" <tar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Thomas A. Rowe

May 19, 2002, 5:47:59 PM5/19/02
No, you did not misread it, however you are confusing the navigation between
frames with using the FP navigation component.

With Frames, you have to manual create your navigation, and by default any link
that you add to the page in the Content page will automatically open in the Main
frame, replacing the current page.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Arlene Rice" <aer...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Arlene Rice

May 19, 2002, 6:16:52 PM5/19/02
Thank you for the clarification and I have one more question: If you want
the home page of a Web site to be the frames page, do you create the
frameset page and then save it as index.htm?

--

Arlene

"Thomas A. Rowe" <tar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Thomas A. Rowe

May 19, 2002, 6:37:19 PM5/19/02
Yes. However you should really re-think using frames. If your site is listed in
Search Engines, then links will be to the pages that appear in your frameset, so
one someone click on one of the links the page will load outside of the
frameset, unless you want to a create dynamic frameset using JavaScript.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

"Arlene Rice" <aer...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Arlene Rice

Jun 1, 2002, 10:28:21 AM6/1/02
Would this be true even if your frameset page is named index.htm?

--

Ms. Arlene Zimmerly, Professor, Los Angeles City College
Computer Applications & Office Technologies Department

"Thomas A. Rowe" <tar...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Tom Pepper Willett

Jun 1, 2002, 10:26:50 AM6/1/02
Yes.