One of my PC's can't properly read/write to memo fields using VFP 9.0

Dan Musicant

Feb 13, 2015, 12:59:31 PM2/13/15
Doesn't matter what the table is, where it's located, or whether or not it's a type 48 versus type 245 table (VFP vs. FPW). It even happens with Microsoft's sample data that came with VFP 9.0.

I have a newly acquired laptop that runs Vista Business and with VFP 9.0 SP2 if I go into a browse window and then access a record's memo field (double clicking Memo or putting mouse cursor into it and pressing ctrl+PgDn or ctrl+PgUp), I am into that record's memo field and the mouse cursor is at the top left, as you would expect. However, if I then press any key (e.g. an arrow key) or click within the memo field I am suddenly looking at the memo field for a different record in the table. Then, I can navigate THAT record's memo field, edit it, save, etc.

I've tried everything I could think of and nothing has helped. I installed VFP 7.0 on the same machine and there's no such problem, however, I miss the tool-tip display of memo fields that was instituted in VFP 9.0.

I posted a few days ago at Tek-Tips Visual Foxpro forum, but no one was able to explain the behavior. Title of that thread was "Peculiar problem accessing data in DBF." Do you have an idea?