Simple exponential FoxPro value, how do I do this?

Dan Musicant

Jul 14, 2013, 4:52:55 PM7/14/13
y and z are known numberic values

z = x^y

How do I ask FoxPro to solve for x?

My usage is to find out the compounded return over a certain period of
time. For instance, if an investment account is increased by a factor of
6 in 8 years, what is the percent annual return, compounded. I believe
the mathematical question above solves that when z=the increment factor
(6 in this case), x is the return (e.g. 1.10 for a ten percent return),
and y is the number of years.

Thanks!

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net

Bernhard Sander

Jul 15, 2013, 6:22:29 AM7/15/13
Hi Dan,

> y and z are known numberic values
>
> z = x^y
>
> How do I ask FoxPro to solve for x?
>
> My usage is to find out the compounded return over a certain period of
> time. For instance, if an investment account is increased by a factor of
> 6 in 8 years, what is the percent annual return, compounded. I believe
> the mathematical question above solves that when z=the increment factor
> (6 in this case), x is the return (e.g. 1.10 for a ten percent return),
> and y is the number of years.

x = exp(log(z)/y)

Regards
Bernhard Sander

Dan Musicant

Jul 15, 2013, 11:30:03 PM7/15/13
On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:22:29 +0200, Bernhard Sander <fu...@kein.spam>
wrote:

:Hi Dan,
Yes, that works precisely! Thank you Bernhard!

Dan Musicant

Email: dmusicant at sonic dot net