Broken links that are not broken

Jim S

Mar 8, 2011, 10:58:07 AM3/8/11
Expression (4) tells me that half my pages have broken links (that cannot
be reached from the homepage)
It's lying as I have no problems at all. What's going on?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Ronx

Mar 8, 2011, 5:29:46 PM3/8/11
Jim S explained on 08/03/2011 :

> Expression (4) tells me that half my pages have
> broken links (that cannot be reached from the
> homepage) It's lying as I have no problems at
> all. What's going on?

See
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/articles/2008/01/24/04/Unlinked_Files_Report.aspx

If this does not answer the problem, please give
an example of a broken link, and a link to the
page it is on.

--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx

Jim S

Mar 8, 2011, 7:58:33 PM3/8/11
On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 22:29:46 GMT, Ronx wrote:

> Jim S explained on 08/03/2011 :
>> Expression (4) tells me that half my pages have
>> broken links (that cannot be reached from the
>> homepage) It's lying as I have no problems at
>> all. What's going on?
>
> See
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/articles/2008/01/24/04/Unlinked_Files_Report.aspx
>
> If this does not answer the problem, please give
> an example of a broken link, and a link to the
> page it is on.

Thanks.
The problem was most odd. I moved from EW to EW4 and over 1000 pages were
showing broken links BUT when uploaded the site ran perfectly.
On closer examination a whole line of white spaces had got into the html so
thumbnails.html became thumbnail s.html. EW didn't like this, but
once spotted, a mass find and replace solved the problem

rfr

May 11, 2012, 7:55:03 PM5/11/12
I suspect that EW 4 does not fully understand the fetching of images and
other components when addressed with, what I call, "Relative to Root
Addressing", such as "/Business/images/photo.jpg" to get an image not within
the subweb "Dine" which is at "/Dine/dine.htm", or to get js scripts wich
are stored at "/js/***"

This problem exists with several browsers too, like Firefox and Opera, but
is NOT a problem with Microsoft's browser, which is ironic.

"Jim S" <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message

Ronx

May 12, 2012, 4:51:27 AM5/12/12
EW4 does understand root relative links - but you
should remember that EW considers that a subweb
is a complete and independent website, so the
root folder is the folder containing that subweb.
Images in the root web will not show in the
design pane.

As far as browsers go, there should be no
difference between browsers when using root
relative links - browsers do not know about
subwebs, so a root relative link refers to the
same folder of the website, regardless of the
browser.

If using a webserver (such as IIS)
/Business/images/photo.jpg will show in _any_
browser when called from /Dine/dine.htm.

If there is a difference between browsers then
either:
The conditions are different - previewing the
subweb in EW4 development server for one browser
and IIS for the other could be the cause.
OR something else is wrong (IE is forgiving of
some errors, but Firefox is not).

If previewing using the file system, the root
folder is the hard drive root - so nothing will
work as expected.

rfr brought next idea :