Subsite or folder?

Jim S

Oct 28, 2013, 3:42:14 PM10/28/13

My site below has a folder for the bellringers which can be reached
directly from its own domain. I currently keep it on my own webspace
because it's free as part of my package.
Is there any advantage to be gained, or lost, by converting the folder
which contains 'all things bells' into a subsite?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

se

Oct 29, 2013, 7:14:08 AM10/29/13

"Jim S" <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> skrev i meddelelsen
I suppose you had bellringers as a subfolder
for a while. So pages has been indexed by search
engines. If you change to a subdomain such as
www.bellringers.jimscott.co.uk
you spoil pagerank without doing a redirection,
such that search engines and visitors redirects
to the new url. You probably knew this. Apparently
you are asking whether any advantage in SEO by one
or the other of the two.
If you transform to a subdomain doing a proper
redirection, yet I dont think any gaining in
pagerank by doing it. What really matters is the
content of the pages, its meaning, value and
extent of importance to the visitors. And the
page contents relevance to the page title and page
description. If a page has keywords in a meta-tag,
they definitely also must be found in the content of
the page, besides, the keyword itself makes sense
for the page-content. Otherwise, it probably hurts
pagerank.

Though, the extent of importance of the sites,
jimscott.co.uk/bellringers/, bellringers.jimscott.co.uk
or a compleatly separate site bellringers.co.uk (with or
without links to each other) will undoubtedly influence
pageranking in a given arrangement. Where the size of
ranking may relates to the value of importance of the
contents of the individual sites or folders. As a result
the ranking could either improve or degrade. I don't
think your question can be answered.

I believe it is impossible to predetermine the best, other
than make sure a valuable and importent page-content
having a page-title and page-description in meta-tags,
that suits the page-content. And dont link to bad sites,
or sites that have contents of no value and importance
to the contents of your own site.

Others may have other understandings.
Moreover, there may be aspects I dont know of.
Who else knows about search engine algoritms than
those who made ??them.

/se

Jim S

Oct 29, 2013, 8:19:20 PM10/29/13
Thanks for the time that took.
We're off on a tangent here as usual, as subsite and subdomain seem clearly
to be different. Subsite seems to be some quirk of ExpressionWeb4 where
subdomain is quite clearly understood (Well not by me until now)
MY domain is the jimscott.co.uk one and points at the index.html page
whereas the bellringers section can be accessed through a folder
(bells.html) OR from it's own domain at christchurchringers.org.uk. which
points to another index.html page in that same folder (bells.html).
It may not be the right way, but it works.
I am going to have to save my website and convert the 'bells' folder to a
subsite to find out what it is, just so I can come back here and tell you
:-)

se

Oct 30, 2013, 4:51:51 AM10/30/13

"Jim S" <j...@jimXscott.co.uk> skrev i meddelelsen
My browser shows your exact same page-content under different domains
No redirection to one and same domain takes place. - Content duplication.
Your website seems to be poor indexed on s.e. To find it, one have
to search Jim Scott. None of your picture-names leads to your website.
/se

Jim S

Oct 31, 2013, 2:44:36 PM10/31/13
I've done it and can see no difference except that when I list the folders
in windows, the bells folder/subsite has a blue dot at the bottom of the
yellow icon.