Crashing when creating new custom catalog fields

Articulate@discussions.microsoft.com Mister Articulate

Sep 23, 2009, 2:46:02 PM9/23/09
I recently upgraded my computer from a PowerMac G5 (running Tiger) to a Mac
Pro (running Leopard), and ever since doing so, I am having a significant
problem with Expression Media crashes that I need to have addressed. The
program ran fine before I made the move. Anyway, here are some hopefully
relevant details:

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on an 8-core Mac Pro, and am trying to use
Expression Media version 2.0.2 (2096). My issue is that whenever I try to
create a new custom catalog set, or try to create a new "Location" entry
within the Place Finder, Expression Media crashes right after I enter the
name for the new set and click "OK", giving me a dialog box that says
"Expression Media 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close." After
crashing, I get the "open as Read-only" dialog box when I re-open the
catalog, which I then am able to "Save As" to the same location. I'm really
just concerned about eliminating the crashes, which make it impossible for me
to add new assets to my catalog in the useful way that I've been doing.

I don't have AutoUpdate installed, so the known conflict with that doesn't
appear to be the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance to any responses.

W Fritts

Sep 25, 2009, 12:55:07 PM9/25/09
On Sep 23, 11:46 am, Mister Articulate <Mister

I don't have a tried and true solution but maybe a workaround. The
try the following as needed:

1 - move the EM preference file, com.microsoft.expressionmedia2.plist,
to the Desktop, launch EM and try again. If that fixes the problem
delete the preference file from the desktop.

2 - create a new catalog, import a few photos and try creating new
sets, etc. to see if that catalog will work without crashing.

3 - If #3 was successful use the File->Import Items->From Catalog File
menu option to import the problem catalog into the new one. Then try
creating new catalog set, etc.

4 - log into another account and run EM from there. If it does not
crash then the culprit is your primary account. Post back if that's
the case and I can give you a test to conduct.