transfer tags from Expression Media to Picasa

jeffcarp

Sep 24, 2009, 10:16:31 AM9/24/09
I have a catalog collection of over 30,000, all tagged. Obviously
redoing tagging in another program is not going to happen. Nearly all
of my photos are CR2 files from Canon.

I am not looking to stop using Expression Media, but I'd like to use
Picasa along with it to try out Picasa new face recognition feature.

Is there a way for me to export my tags in Expression Media and have
them "picked up" by Picasa when I import the folder? I am not wanting
to create another storage location for the photos, but that would be
many GB's of space.

Thanks.

RM

Sep 28, 2009, 4:05:37 PM9/28/09
Jeff,
This is easy:
Select one of or more images (CTRL+A does select all) and choose in the
menubar 'Action' and 'Sync Annotation'.
Then choose the second option 'Export Annotations to original files'. All
the keywords and other data will now be exported into the file itself (IPTC
header). Picasa can use these information without any other action, just
start Picasa and you will see that it will index all de images.

Picasa is indeed very nice to find images but to tag the images it is less
usefull than Expression Media. Why do you want to quit it?

Roelof

"jeffcarp" <jkc...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

jeffcarp

Sep 30, 2009, 6:31:35 AM9/30/09
As I said above, I am not looking to stop using Expression Media. I
just want to explore using the facial recognition features of Picasa
3.5.

I thought that you couldn't export annotations to the original files
if those original files were RAW? I thought you couldn't write new
data to RAW files?

Roelof

Jan 27, 2010, 6:24:03 PM1/27/10
I would advice to convert all your RAW files into DNG.
The first advantage is that DNG is an open documented RAW format so you
don't lose any information from your RAW images. DNG is more
'future-proof' than the lagecy RAW formats.
The second advantage is that you can export metadata from EM to DNG
Roelof