RE: zaml 3D's use

Brennon Williams

Jul 17, 2007, 6:46:02 AM7/17/07
Howdy Mr. Hunt,

I think you may find more answers in the Expression Design newsgroup as I
know a few people over there use various 3D model applications for use with
XAML.

I have cross posted this reply, hopefully someone there can help you.

Cheers
--
http://www.learnexpressionstudio.com
http://www.expressionblend.com

"little insect" wrote:

> When I finished one beatiful 3D icon in c4D, and import it to zaml 3D, the 3D
> model will lose many details. Why? is there any secret or tips to import 3D
> models to zaml 3D?
> Thanks
> --
> Impossible Mission

barkest

Jul 17, 2007, 7:53:35 AM7/17/07
When you save from C4D I assume its 3ds and then into ZAM3D. You say you are
losing some 'details' can you be more precise? Do you mean geometry or
material/texture and what in particular of these items are you missing

thanks

little insect

Jul 17, 2007, 9:54:00 PM7/17/07
Thanks for your attention. the material/texture is lost and the whole model
became black.
--
Impossible Mission

barkest

Jul 18, 2007, 3:52:30 AM7/18/07
In which case you should check your lighting. In the viewport on the left
you will have a camera that was transferred over with the 3ds. In the
viewport at the top left click on the camera and change it to Front. Add a
couple of lights into the viewport and see what it looks like

little insect

Jul 19, 2007, 1:52:02 AM7/19/07
Even add light to the model in Zaml 3D, the material/texture is still lost,
and the model only has a gray surface.

And, when the 3ds file with light is imported to zam 3D, one warning will
pop: "A light object has been identified to have a parent object associated
with it. Swift 3D does not support lights that have a parent and therefore
may display incorrect results.".

Even I remove light in C4D, and export the 3ds file, then import to zam 3D,
the material/texture still is lost. The model only has a gray look.

Is there any other idea?
Thanks.

--
Impossible Mission

barkest

Jul 19, 2007, 2:32:44 AM7/19/07
For the light then just move it in the hierarchy (top right) by clicking and
dragging to the top of the stack so it does not belong to another object.

For the materials go to the material gallery and click on either bitmap or
glossy and drag some of these materials onto your model. Does it now look
less flat? If so then the materials you are using in C4D are also flat and
will look 'lifeless' in ZAM.

little insect

Jul 19, 2007, 10:52:01 AM7/19/07
yes, in zaml 3D, I could apply the material to model easily. You mean the
type of material I use in c4D is not recognized by zam 3D? then what kind of
material I could use in c4D?

Thanks.
--
Impossible Mission

barkest

Jul 19, 2007, 11:17:02 AM7/19/07
Yes the material is recognised but the materials you have used look flat.
You will have to make better materials in C4D and then see what they look
like in ZAM, its a process that you have to go through to see what works and
what does not. So in C4D make some materials on a simple plain and bake them
etc. and then see what it look like with lighting (specular etc) in ZAM and
take it from there. Alternatively made the basic model in C4D and apply the
materials in ZAM. If your new to this or lack experience then this may well
be the way to go early on so that you can at least get a model in Blend or
wherever you are going with it.

I would also say, keep the model simple and the mesh as low as possible.
Name all the objects you create and dont make them over complex with their
heirarchy. Dont worry too much about lighting unless you creating top
quality materials in C4D as you can just as easily light in ZAM and finally
you have to appreciate that what it will look like in XAML will be different
from what it looked like in C4D - well for the most part that is and what I
mean by this is it will take you months (yes really) to get top quality
looking materials from C4D into xaml as its a long process of learning.

Here is something I have in progress that was made in C4D > ZAM > Blend

Use the box in the lower left - left mouse drag to rotate, right mouse drag
to zoom, reset button to reset its position, click on a track to play the
music etc. (must get around to finishing this).

http://www.barkerfamily.plus.com/audioXbap.htm

Also I know that the Learn Expression Network which will be available soon
will have tutorials for both ZAM and Blend and it also includes a tutorial
on C4D to ZAM so look out for that.

chadturner

Apr 21, 2010, 5:46:08 PM4/21/10
i tried the link you have posted but it no longer works. i know its been a while. but i am interested in learning more about what ZAM and blend can really do, when using C4d.

could you re-post that? do you know of any good examples of this online some where?

thanks

barkest wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use
19-Jul-07

http://www.barkerfamily.plus.com/audioXbap.htm

On Monday, July 16, 2007 11:40 PM
littleinsec wrote:

zaml 3D's use

When I finished one beatiful 3D icon in c4D, and import it to zaml 3D, the 3D
model will lose many details. Why? is there any secret or tips to import 3D
models to zaml 3D?
Thanks
--
Impossible Mission

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:46 AM
BrennonWilliam wrote:

RE: zaml 3D's use
Howdy Mr. Hunt,

I think you may find more answers in the Expression Design newsgroup as I
know a few people over there use various 3D model applications for use with
XAML.

I have cross posted this reply, hopefully someone there can help you.

"little insect" wrote:

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 7:53 AM
barkest wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

When you save from C4D I assume its 3ds and then into ZAM3D. You say you are
losing some 'details' can you be more precise? Do you mean geometry or
material/texture and what in particular of these items are you missing

thanks

On Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:54 PM
littleinsec wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

Thanks for your attention. the material/texture is lost and the whole model
became black.

--
Impossible Mission

"barkest" wrote:

On Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:52 AM
barkest wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

In which case you should check your lighting. In the viewport on the left
you will have a camera that was transferred over with the 3ds. In the
viewport at the top left click on the camera and change it to Front. Add a
couple of lights into the viewport and see what it looks like

On Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:52 AM
littleinsec wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

Even add light to the model in Zaml 3D, the material/texture is still lost,
and the model only has a gray surface.

And, when the 3ds file with light is imported to zam 3D, one warning will
pop: "A light object has been identified to have a parent object associated
with it. Swift 3D does not support lights that have a parent and therefore
may display incorrect results.".

Even I remove light in C4D, and export the 3ds file, then import to zam 3D,
the material/texture still is lost. The model only has a gray look.

Is there any other idea?

Thanks.

--
Impossible Mission

"barkest" wrote:

On Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:32 AM
barkest wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

For the light then just move it in the hierarchy (top right) by clicking and
dragging to the top of the stack so it does not belong to another object.

For the materials go to the material gallery and click on either bitmap or
glossy and drag some of these materials onto your model. Does it now look
less flat? If so then the materials you are using in C4D are also flat and
will look 'lifeless' in ZAM.

On Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:52 AM
littleinsec wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

yes, in zaml 3D, I could apply the material to model easily. You mean the
type of material I use in c4D is not recognized by zam 3D? then what kind of
material I could use in c4D?

Thanks.
--
Impossible Mission

"barkest" wrote:

On Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:17 AM
barkest wrote:

Re: zaml 3D's use

http://www.barkerfamily.plus.com/audioXbap.htm

BOOK REVIEW: Effective C#, Second Edition [Addison Wesley]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b2f8766d-a4c1-4d5a-97af-c38852b3b455/book-review-effective-c.aspx