how to promote x-headers in exchange 2007

A K

Jun 24, 2010, 7:16:24 AM6/24/10
I have a requirement is to query messages which has a specific X-
header value through IMAP server. So I created my own custom header X-
ABC in the PS_INTERNET_HEADERS property set and adding this header to
all the messages in my exchange. Once this is done I am able to find
these messages via IMAP query.
This configuration is working fine in exchange 2003, but on exchange
2007 it has some problem and not working. A little bit of search on
exchange team blog gave me following hints.
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/04/06/451003.aspx
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/06/11/451596.aspx

From second blog post, I understood that in Exchange 2007 we need
promote the X-headers to get them working with IMAP. And following is
the suggestion made by the author,
"If you want an x-header promoted the easiest way to get it promoted
is to send an authenticated mail to a single user on the MDB. For
E2010 that will not work, but E2010 has different MIME handling that
should make IMAP interop better."

So my doubt is, what are the different methods to promote X-headers ?
And what is the meaning of authenticated email ? Can someone help me.

Thanks in advance.

Scott B

Jan 14, 2011, 11:30:18 PM1/14/11
I did this by;
- Download and install 'Outlook Spy'
- open an (external internet) message in Outlook
- select OutlookSpy; IMessage
- select tab "GetProps"
- click "Add Property"
- select "This is a named Property";
GUID "PS_INTERNET_HEADERS"
Kind "MNID_STRING"
ID "X-Whatever" (your xheader)
Type PT_STRING8
Value <contents of your X-Header>
- Click SAVE

Now forward this message to another user on Exchange(not sure if this is really necessary); wait about 10 minutes, and send yourself an email from the outside world with this property set. Best of luck, but it's working for me

> Submitted via EggHeadCafe
> Stock Quotes via jQuery-enabled WCF Service, JSON, and jQuery Templates
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9c157185-9ded-4352-8311-73153d9d1297/stock-quotes-via-jqueryenabled-wcf-service-json-and-jquery-templates.aspx

Scott B

Jan 14, 2011, 11:31:18 PM1/14/11
I did this by;
- Download and install 'Outlook Spy'
- open an (external internet) message in Outlook
- select OutlookSpy; IMessage
- select tab "GetProps"
- click "Add Property"
- select "This is a named Property";
GUID "PS_INTERNET_HEADERS"
Kind "MNID_STRING"
ID "X-Whatever" (your xheader)
Type PT_STRING8
Value <contents of your X-Header>
- Click SAVE

Now forward this message to another user on Exchange(not sure if this is really necessary); wait about 10 minutes, and send yourself an email from the outside world with this property set. Best of luck, but it's working for me

> On Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:16 AM A K wrote:

>> On Friday, January 14, 2011 11:30 PM Scott B wrote:

>> I did this by;
>>
>> - Download and install 'Outlook Spy'
>>
>> - open an (external internet) message in Outlook
>>
>> - select OutlookSpy; IMessage
>>
>> - select tab "GetProps"
>>
>> - click "Add Property"
>>
>> - select "This is a named Property";
>>
>> GUID "PS_INTERNET_HEADERS"
>>
>> Kind "MNID_STRING"
>>
>> ID "X-Whatever" (your xheader)
>>
>> Type PT_STRING8
>>
>> Value <contents of your X-Header>
>>
>> - Click SAVE
>>

>> Now forward this message to another user on Exchange(not sure if this is really necessary); wait about 10 minutes, and send yourself an email from the outside world with this property set. Best of luck, but it's working for me

>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe
>> ASP.NET Generic Cookie Utility Class
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e7108c33-1cc6-48ae-9f65-cc391c8b66a7/aspnet-generic-cookie-utility-class.aspx

Scott B