Restoring Exchange 5.5 from Arcserve.

Dino Theo

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Hello all,
I know that this topic must have been beaten to death. I checked dejanews
and there were a lot of similar posts but nothing exactly like my dilemma.
I have a client that has NT server 4.0, Exchange 5.5 and Arcserve 6.0. I
setup his system initially. I setup a backup job on Arcserve where all he
had to do was to replace the tape everyday. Well this past week the
unthinkable happened. The hard drive went dead. Upon installing the new HD I
completed a restore. After the restore I went into arcserve's logs and saw
that it was unable to backup 2 files
\exchsrvr\mdbdata\temp.edb &
\exchsrvr\dsadata\tmp.edb

Since the restore the info store service does not start. Actually only the
System Agent starts. I have been playing around with the server, trying to
figure a way out. I have played around with the following. I copied the
exchsrvr directory to exchsrvr.old so that I could have the old files. I
then removed and installed exch5.5. I then copied over all of the files from
exchsrvr.old to the new directory. No luck. I narrowed it down to copying
everything but the dsadata and mdbdata directories. Without those
directories the services start but I have no accts. or anything. I am in
desparate need of salvaging users contact lists and calendars. Email is not
as important. Can anyone please help me out on this one? Also for the future
I have been thinking about ways to avoid this. Tell me what you all
think.....
Create a batch file on the server which stops the exchange services, copies
those 2 directories to another directory and then turns the services back
on. I could have this thing run daily.

Thanks,
Dino

Greg Askew

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98
to Dino Theo

If you can restore the information store without the directory
and get the services to start, you can run the DS/IS Integrity
Check, and adjust all inconsistencies. It should match up your
NT accounts.

Did you perform an online or offline backup? I.e., did you have
the backup agent for Exchange installed, and do an online backup?
If not, you would have to stop the services during backup. If you
did not do that, you're hosed.
--
Greg Askew
g...@REMOVE-THISmindspring.com

Rich Matheisen

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

Greg Askew <g...@REMOVE-THISmindspring.com> wrote:

>If you can restore the information store without the directory
>and get the services to start, you can run the DS/IS Integrity
>Check, and adjust all inconsistencies. It should match up your
>NT accounts.

I think that depends on how closely the NT User Account matches the
directory name of the mailbox. I've seen this work and I've seen it
fail, but I never paid close attention to the reasons whay.

Richard Matheisen Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer Tewksbury, MA USA
mailto:richard....@wang.com http://www.wang.com

George Holmes

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Ugh!

ArcServe 6.0 with version 1 of the Exchange Agent does not fully support
Exchange 5.5. You can back up the databases, but restores do not work (as
you found out the hard way). ArcServe 6.5 with version 2 of the Exchange
agent supports Exchange 5.5. I would suggest you contact CA and see if
upgrading to the current versions will allow you to restore your current
backup.

Good luck,

George