"Copying offline address book template file." hangs outlook, OAB ok and checked with oabinteg (Exchange & Outlook 2007)

Matthieu

May 4, 2008, 9:30:07 AM5/4/08

A few month ago, another post in this NG refered to the same issue :
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.exchange.admin/browse_thread/thread/2e782ce0aded177/74b0b5d7dc689f58?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=offline+address+book+template+file#74b0b5d7dc689f58

Unfortunately, no solution was provided.

The basics :
- Autodiscovery, OAB, EWS all working fine (tested again and again)
- Outlook 2007 uses Outlook Anywhere to get the GAL through https
(certificates OK)
- Mail, public folders... everything is downloaded ok
- When trying to download the OAB (through the Options menu Send/
Receive) Outlooks hangs at 10% ("Copying offline address book template
file.") after 1-2 minutes at 0%
- Windows Server 2003 64bits English with Exchange 2007 SP1 French
- IIS log shows HTTP error 206 (partial download) on the oab.xml
download

I think this has a weird side effect : Outlook usually only states
that "This folder is up to date" instead of "All folders are up to
date".

This is driving me crazy :)

Anybody can help ?

Thanks,

Yours,

Matthieu

Matthieu

May 7, 2008, 12:56:33 AM5/7/08
Sorry to insist, but I'm at a lost :)

Matthieu

May 10, 2008, 10:13:34 PM5/10/08
I've (I hope temporarily) disabled web distribution, and public folder
distribution works perfectly (both inside the corp network and outside
through Outlook Anywhere).

So the issue is definitely somewhere around either IIS (but OWA/EWS...
are working) or BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service).

Anybody knows anything about why IIS would answer 206 (partial
content) to Microsoft BITS? (yes I've tried both plain text and NTLM
authentication and my certificate is OK).

I've also tried to download the most recent version of the BITS client
(6.7 according to IIS logs) but in vain.

I hate not solving problems! Help please!

Thanks,

Matthieu

christianjohansson

Jun 11, 2008, 10:30:35 AM6/11/08
Hi I had the same problem.
I Closed outlook and
Opened the folder: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I deleted all "OAB" files and all files that begine with "~"

The problem was a corrupt file named [~last~.sharing.xml.obi]

START/run [outlook /cleanprofile]

That solved my problem.

/Christian

robertkleinschmidt

Jul 23, 2008, 4:08:47 AM7/23/08
Christian's solution also fixed my problem.
My problem started when the global address list was out of date for one of my users. She was running in cached exchange mode, and the global address list was never being updated, so I tried to update it by hand from the Tools->Send-Receive->Download-Address-Book... menu item. That hung as described in these posts and I also had a "~last~.sharing.xml.obi" file that I removed along with all the oab files.

Then, after a /cleanprofile, all was well.

rayslade

Nov 13, 2009, 4:25:32 PM11/13/09
Have the same problem with computers connecting to one of our exchange servers. Found that the "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" folder did not have a oab.xml file. Placing a blank .txt document renamed oab.xml
has fixed the problem here.

ray

Matthieu wrote:

"Copying offline address book template file." hangs outlook, OAB ok and checked with oabinteg (Exchange & Outlook 2007)
06-May-08

Hi,

Anybody can help ?

Thanks,

Yours,

Matthieu

On 06 May 2008 01:06
Matthieu wrote:

"Copying offline address book template file." hangs outlook, OAB ok and checked with oabinteg (Exchange & Outlook 2007)
Hi,

Anybody can help ?

Thanks,

Yours,

Matthieu

On 11 June 2008 10:30
Christian Johansson wrote:

"Copying offline address book template file." hangs outlook

START/run [outlook /cleanprofile]

That solved my problem.

/Christian

On 23 July 2008 04:08
Robert Kleinschmidt wrote:

Downloading offline address book (OAB) hangs Outlook

Christian's solution also fixed my problem.
My problem started when the global address list was out of date for one of my users. She was running in cached exchange mode, and the global address list was never being updated, so I tried to update it by hand from the Tools->Send-Receive->Download-Address-Book... menu item. That hung as described in these posts and I also had a "~last~.sharing.xml.obi" file that I removed along with all the oab files.

Then, after a /cleanprofile, all was well.

Custom Self-Expanding Multiselect Winforms ListBox
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/d501d49c-f9fa-4156-9858-8c7b8a74319a/custom-selfexpanding-mul.aspx

simonj...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2012, 3:04:09 PM7/11/12
On Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:30:35 PM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
> Hi I had the same problem.
> I Closed outlook and
> Opened the folder: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
>
> I deleted all "OAB" files and all files that begine with "~"
>
> The problem was a corrupt file named [~last~.sharing.xml.obi]
>
> START/run [outlook /cleanprofile]
>
> That solved my problem.
>
> /Christian

This also fixed the problem for me. Thanks OP.

For anyone not quite as technical as these guys, and you're wondering where his location is or how you get there, just paste it into the top address bar of explorer...