OAB distribution point and Test E-mail AutoConfiguration Outlook Tool

Broonie

Jun 15, 2009, 8:30:20 PM6/15/09
Hi There,

I'm troubleshooting our OAB download problems but I've noticed that
when I change the distribution point(s) there is a problem. At the
moment we only have public folders set as a distribution point and it
works OK but when I enable the web-based dist point through EMS and
then test it's availability using the Outlook 2007 Test E-mail
AutoConfiguration Tool nothing shows up. And by that I mean no
distribution points show up at all, not even the public folder dist
point that previously worked. If i remove the web-based dist point,
wait a few minutes and then do the AutoConfiguration test again the
public folder location then appears OK.

Any ideas why enabling a web-based dist point would cause both to
fail? Also, why does it take so long for my Outlook client to pick up
the changes i've made to the OAB in EMS. I bounced the System
Attendant service thinking that would send the info to Outlook but it
doesn't.

We're using Exchange 2007 SP1 Rollout 7 with a combination of Outlook
2003 and 2007.

Andy David {MVP}

Jun 15, 2009, 9:02:30 PM6/15/09

Changing the distribution point is only the 1st step. You have to also
generate it , then it needs to be copied to the OAB virtual directory
on the CAS server.

Broonie

Jun 15, 2009, 9:58:21 PM6/15/09
On Jun 16, 1:02 pm, Andy David {MVP}

Yup, I know that. As soon as I set the web-based dist point it copies
the OAB over from C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server
\ExchangeOAB to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess
\OAB (all my roles are on the same box) so the OAB is generated and
copied just like in the text books.

But my question wasn't about generation of OAB anyway, it was asking
why I am losing both my dist points when i enable a web-based dist
point.

Andy David {MVP}

Jun 16, 2009, 6:51:42 AM6/16/09

Try creating a new OAB with web-based and pf distr and see if you can
see that.

Broonie

Jun 16, 2009, 4:14:44 PM6/16/09
On Jun 16, 10:51 pm, Andy David {MVP}

That's what I did, it's in my first post. I tried enabling just the
web-based one and both at the same time but it gave the same results -
nothing.

Andy David {MVP}

Jun 16, 2009, 4:22:29 PM6/16/09
There is nothing in your first post that says you created a new OAB.
You said you enabled web-distribution and removed it as a distribution
point.

Do you have a stand-alone CAS or multi-role on the same server?

Message has been deleted

Broonie

Jun 16, 2009, 7:33:11 PM6/16/09
On Jun 17, 8:22 am, Andy David {MVP}

<ada...@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:14:44 -0700 (PDT), Broonie

I've created new OABs and the same happens. All my roles are on the
same server.

Also, when i browse to https://servername/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
i get a 600 invalid address error and when i look at the contents of C:
\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\Autodiscover
\autodiscover.xml it's pretty much empty apart from having "This is a
place holder file". Should this be the case?