Re: Lock only borders

Message has been deleted

Gord Dibben

Jan 23, 2008, 4:52:04 PM1/23/08
By default all cells on a sheet are locked when sheet is protected.

For Excel 2002 and newer versions.......................

Select the cells to type in.......presumably these cells have borders.

Format>Cells>Protection. Uncheck the "Locked" option.

Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet>Allow users to:

Checkmark "select unlocked cells".

All other checkboxes remain cleared.

OK your way out.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:36:01 -0800, cmcr34 <cmc...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I want to create an exceel worksheet where the borders are protected from
>copy/paste and drag/drop but the users can still type in data.
>
>Thanks

cmcr34

Jan 23, 2008, 5:03:02 PM1/23/08
I want a sheet that someone can type into the cells but the borders remain
locked.

Gord Dibben

Jan 23, 2008, 6:18:58 PM1/23/08
That's what you would have if you followed the instructions given but only for
some cells.

For "ALL" the cells?

CTRL + a(twice in 2003) to select all cells.

Follow my instructions for unlocking and protecting.

Gord

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:03:02 -0800, cmcr34 <cmc...@discussions.microsoft.com>

cmcr34

Jan 24, 2008, 11:07:01 AM1/24/08
I have a table with thick borders around the table heading and then regular
borders around the rest of the cells. If I lock the header portion and not
the rest of the cells (which I want to be able to type into) and type in the
first row and drag/drop the information through a column, the thick border
continues down the column also. I would like to lock all borders so that
there is less time spent formatting the borders.

Gord Dibben

Jan 24, 2008, 1:20:19 PM1/24/08
I can't visualize what you are saying.

You say you type into row 1 then drag and drop. Where is the Table Heading area
that is locked?

Post the exact range please.

In my mind I see it above the cells you wish to type into and you should not be
able to select any cell in that range because it is locked and sheet protected.

Gord

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:07:01 -0800, cmcr34 <cmc...@discussions.microsoft.com>

cmcr34

Jan 24, 2008, 1:38:01 PM1/24/08
Lets say A10:T10 has title cells --- Date Recieved, Date used etc. Those
cells have thick border (top, bottom, right and left). Cells A11:A30
B11:B30...T11:30 have thin borders. If you type a date in A2 and drag drop A2
to fill cells A3:A30 with the same date the bottom border of A1 (i.e. the top
border of A2) will appear in A3:A30 when those borders should remain a thin
border.

Gord Dibben

Jan 24, 2008, 3:26:48 PM1/24/08
Assume A10:T10 is a typo and you mean A1:T1

The bottom border of A1 is thick.

That is also the top border of A2.

You could change the top border of A2 to thin which would result in bottom
border of A1 being thin.

I would insert a row between 1 and 2.

You can set the height of this row to a very small number.

Give it no borders and lock A1:T2

Gord

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:38:01 -0800, cmcr34 <cmc...@discussions.microsoft.com>

ate...@gmail.com

Feb 20, 2008, 11:41:34 AM2/20/08

what a frustration saver, thanks

sheari...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2015, 5:28:35 AM9/18/15
Hi Gord,

My spreadsheet contains only thick borders. Every time I copy and paste data or text the borders change back to thin and I spend precious time redoing them back to thick. Very frustrating.

I have followed your instructions to the T but only got it right once. Seems like I can't lock the borders of the whole sheet.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Carl Heintz

Feb 15, 2022, 7:11:43 AM2/15/22
An alternative solution that is not that clean is to not use border but rather draw a colour inside a small cell. So you can insert a narrow column and fill it black to make it a border. But I agree it would be nice with the option to make the border stay as it is almost always used to frame a certain area rather than a certain cell.

Zaidy036

Feb 18, 2022, 12:23:24 PM2/18/22
I am not aware of Macro limits but could one be written relative to new
input completion and have it apply an established cell style?

Jeremy Colli

Feb 2, 2023, 6:22:41 PM2/2/23
I am having this same issue
Gord recommended Format >cells > Protection

am I reading this wrong? Format has no cells options
and there is no protection menu.

I am using google sheets via my gmail.

I just want to lock all the formatting. I have a completed sheet that I have to readjust the borders every time I use it and its to the point I may as well be using a pen and paper.

game over

Feb 19, 2023, 4:41:11 PM2/19/23
how to find google sheets id