align two y-axis

rickree

Jul 29, 2009, 8:09:35 PM7/29/09
I have a scatter line graph with two lines. The two lines are
associated to different y-axis (primary and secondary). Is there a
way to align the scale of the primary and secondary y-axis so that the
point y=0 is the same major axis for both the primary and secondary y-
axis?

Other than this macro http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html
Which I can't seem to get running becuase I am an extreme dumdum when
it comes to macros...

Shane Devenshire

Jul 30, 2009, 3:05:02 AM7/30/09

Double-click the primary Y axis and choose the Scale tab and set the
Minimumn, Maximum and anything else you want. Repeat the process for the
seconday Y axis.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

Michael.Tarnowski

Aug 17, 2009, 1:55:00 AM8/17/09
On Jul 30, 2:09 am, rickree <rick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a scatter line graph with two lines. The two lines are
> associated to different y-axis (primary and secondary). Is there a
> way to align the scale of the primary and secondary y-axis so that the
> point y=0 is the same major axis for both the primary and secondary y-
> axis?
>
> Other than this macrohttp://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AlignXon2Ys.html

> Which I can't seem to get running becuase I am an extreme dumdum when
> it comes to macros...

Hi rickree,

here is an elaborated approach to set automatically Min and Max Scale
for Y-Axis
http://www.cellmatrix.net/index.php/comments/automatically_set_min_and_max_scale_for_y_axis/

More on additional y-axis you will find at
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-1975943359936598%3A3rfphr06tf2&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Y-Axis&sa=Search

Hope that helps, have fun
Cheers Michael

Sam Broadey

Dec 3, 2021, 9:42:11 AM12/3/21
[[[ Solved ]]]

The only (manual) way I have found to do this is to ensure that '0' is at the same point proportionally on your two y-axes

e.g. if one axis ranges from -15 to 45 then 0 is 25% of the way along your axis.

Therefore, your second axis can be -1 to 3, -150 to 450 or whatever, so long as they're in the same proportions.

For my graph, I had money on one axis (£) and a rate (%) on the other.

My money axis ranged from -£10,000 to £60,000.

I wanted my % axis to go to 80%

Therefore it must start at 80%/(60000/-10000) = -13.3%

This is because 0 is the same distance, proportionally, between -0.13333 & 0.8 as it is between -10000 & 60000

(You must sacrifice dynamic axes to get this to work)