Summary tab in a worksheet that references tab names of previous tabs and their data

Darrell Yip

Mar 3, 2022, 7:03:04 PM3/3/22
Hi all,

I have a spreadsheet that has 30 tabs of data. Each tab has the same format and layout but has a different tab name.

I'm trying to do a summary tab that summarizes the previous 30 tabs. By doing this i want 30 columns where each column is the tab name of one of the 30 tabs where this keeps growing as I add new tabs to the 30.

The data below that will reference each of these tabs and will reference the same cell number but will only be differentiated by the tab name so somehow the formula has to reference the tab it's pulling from.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Thank you!

Philip Herlihy

Mar 4, 2022, 7:20:22 AM3/4/22
In article <d9677142-257b-403e...@googlegroups.com>,
darr...@gmail.com says...
Referencing a value in another tab is easy enough. To see the syntax, start a
formula (by typing '=') on one tab, then use the mouse to navigate to a cell in
another tab. Hit Enter, and examine the formula. Simples.

So doing this manually isn't hard at all. For any level of automation (like
traversing through the collection of tabs in your worksheet) you need macros
(VB).

Sometimes, when the difficulty/complexity of manipulating your data gets a bit
excessive, it's time to consider how you structure your data. Do those tabs
have to be tabs? Or could [tabname] simply be an additional column in one big
"table"?

And sometimes, you're swimming against the current by sticking with Excel,
instead of learning the wonderful capabilities of Access.

--

Phil, London