how do I delete data in a cell without deleting formula?

tripy

Apr 20, 2008, 5:44:00 PM4/20/08
after adding data to a formulatted cell on a worksheet, i save as, and then
use the previous worksheet and delete data to start another worksheet. when
doing this I also delete the formulas, which I don't want to do- go to
question.

Gord Dibben

Apr 20, 2008, 6:06:17 PM4/20/08
First, copy the worksheet then on copied sheet hit F5>Special>Constants

Uncheck what you want to keep, like "text" for titles and OK

Edit>Clear>Contents or just hit the delete key.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 14:44:00 -0700, tripy <tr...@discussions.microsoft.com>

David Biddulph

Apr 20, 2008, 6:07:25 PM4/20/08
A cell contains either formula or data. It can't contain both.
--
David Biddulph

"tripy" <tr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

mattst...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2015, 10:16:44 AM7/31/15
That is rubbish David

Auric__

Jul 31, 2015, 12:59:57 PM7/31/15
mattsteel101 wrote:

> On Sunday, April 20, 2008 at 11:07:25 PM UTC+1, David Biddulph wrote:
>> A cell contains either formula or data. It can't contain both.
>
> That is rubbish David

You're replying to a post from 7 years ago.

--
I look at my life and it just seems so depressing that I'm
not sure if I was born or if Morrissey sang me into existence.

nvisib...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2016, 12:52:57 AM9/5/16
I'm replying to a post from a year ago.. about a post from 7 years prior.. just for the hell of it.

ecomr...@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2020, 5:21:45 PM6/18/20
I’m replying to a post from 4 years ago, replying to a post from 5 years ago, about a post from 12 years ago...

Auric__

Jun 19, 2020, 6:07:29 PM6/19/20
ecomreed05 wrote:

> I=E2=80=99m replying to a post from 4 years ago, replying to a post from
> 5 = years ago, about a post from 12 years ago...

...with absolutely no context whatsoever. The only reason this even caught my
attention is because it references my post in this thread. You idiots are a
waste of oxygen.

--
This is the most disturbing conversation I've ever had.

Michael Kilts

Sep 20, 2020, 3:06:03 PM9/20/20
I've just Subscribed to this thread, to watch it continually unfold for the next 20+ years.

Please, continue.

Digital Ego

Jul 8, 2021, 9:51:22 AM7/8/21
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 10:06:03 PM UTC+3, Michael Kilts wrote:
> I've just Subscribed to this thread, to watch it continually unfold for the next 20+ years.
>
> Please, continue.

I like how things are heating up here. Truly insane!

Beltrán Gimenez-Zapio

Jun 7, 2022, 1:31:19 PM6/7/22
Watch as I reply to your 1 year old post replying to a couple of posts from 2 years ago replying to a post from 6 years ago, replying to a post from 7 years ago, about a 14 year old post.

Auric__

Jun 7, 2022, 2:13:53 PM6/7/22
You are all a bunch of idiots.

--
There must be more to life than standing
around wondering if there's more to life.

David Michael

Aug 17, 2022, 11:45:00 AM8/17/22
bump

Auric__

Aug 17, 2022, 1:19:39 PM8/17/22
David Michael wrote:

> bump

This isn't 4chan. The thread won't get deleted if people stop posting.

Fucking Google groupies.

--
more like free insurance than free rental

Philip Herlihy

Aug 18, 2022, 6:28:44 AM8/18/22
In article <dfbfde2b-5bba-475b...@googlegroups.com>, David
Michael wrote...

> bump

I can't make any sense of your question. Just be selective in what you delete?
What situation prompts that question?

Trying to unpack: I infer that you have data (constants?) in a cell which
contains a formula. If so, try moving the constants to a dedicated worksheet,
and name the ranges. Simple example: I have a spreadsheet which tracks my
alcohol consumption units (medical necessity, sadly). I have a named range
called "PINT", and I refer to it in a cell as '=PINT'. The named range PINT
contains the value 568. There are other ranges called 'BOTTLE' and
'HALFBOTTLE'. If someone in the USA wanted to use my spreadsheet, they could
edit PINT to 473.

Throughout IT, it's beneficial to keep raw data independent from operations
which derive from that data, and similarly from formatting markup. The
benefits of this increase with the scale of the project.

--

Phil, London

Amman Pasha

Feb 21, 2023, 6:38:11 PM2/21/23
happy new year guys

Charles Jestice

Mar 14, 2023, 4:40:35 PM3/14/23
No one has really answered the question either.

Netstar WebApp

Mar 15, 2023, 9:00:29 PM3/15/23

Amy Voss

Mar 16, 2023, 7:51:22 PM3/16/23
Is there still no solution after 15 years? It would really be great if there was...

I have a large spreadsheet I need to update without losing the formulas.

Carry on peeps... this is getting spicy!

Michael Kilts

Mar 17, 2023, 1:44:06 PM3/17/23
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 1:06:03 PM UTC-6, Michael Kilts wrote:
> I've just Subscribed to this thread, to watch it continually unfold for the next 20+ years.
>
> Please, continue.

send help - this has befuddled mathematicians for centuries

Elizabeth Kennedy Bayer

Apr 11, 2023, 8:47:46 PM4/11/23
I've given up on finding meaning in my life and am now copying and pasting as formulas only 🤷

Owen

Jun 16, 2023, 2:07:35 AM6/16/23
Doesn't make it any less true.

Logann Halloran (Only Forward Fitness)

Jun 23, 2023, 3:59:40 PM6/23/23
Feel like there needs to be separate cells for the data and formulas. Would =IF Functions would have worked? =IF(A3>4, sum(A2+A4+A5), 0). Happy to be hear. Look forward to the next 15 years.