Match value in column number received from previous match

Håkan Björkström

Mar 3, 2021, 8:12:05 AM3/3/21
How to use MATCH when you know only the column number to lookup in?
I know that the column to lookup in is column 7, but I cannot use it in MATCH like MATCH(1910,$g$g,0) .

Thankful for any hints.
HBj

Claus Busch

Mar 3, 2021, 8:37:20 AM3/3/21
Hi Hakan,

Am Wed, 3 Mar 2021 05:12:03 -0800 (PST) schrieb Håkan Björkström:

> How to use MATCH when you know only the column number to lookup in?
> I know that the column to lookup in is column 7, but I cannot use it in MATCH like MATCH(1910,$g$g,0) .

you could try:
=MATCH(1900,INDEX(A:Z,,7),0)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Microsoft 365 for business

Håkan Björkström

Mar 3, 2021, 9:34:36 AM3/3/21
Sorry, this function returns an error

MyVeryOwnSelf

Mar 8, 2021, 5:06:10 PM3/8/21
> How to use MATCH when you know only the column number to lookup in?
> I know that the column to lookup in is column 7, but I cannot use it in MATCH like MATCH(1910,$g$g,0) .

This works for me with Excel 365 and Windows 10, and with all the relevant cells being Excel numbers:
=MATCH(1910, $G:$G, 0)

(I'm not clear what you mean by "... cannot use it in MATCH ..." Is an error of some kind reported?)