IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

Brian

Nov 18, 2009, 7:16:41 PM11/18/09
Hello,
I have a very important .xls file (created in Excel 2003) that I had
protected using my MS Passport account with IRM.
I have opened it many times in the past in both Excel 2003 and 2007.
Now, when I try to open it, I am told that I do not have credentials that
allow me to open this workbook, but that I can request updated permission
from MYSELF.
Of course, to update permissions, I need to be able to open the file in the
first place.
No other users that might have had permission can open the file either.
PLEASE HELP!
Thanks

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Nov 19, 2009, 4:43:16 AM11/19/09

Hello Brian,

I understand you have a important xls file that protected by IRM cannot be
opened now.

I can understand how important the issue caused, for the IRM issue, I
suggest we directly contact IRM/RMS engineer for further support.

On my end, I checked this article and would like to know if you are using
Windows XP or Vista and could you open the edit permission window again to
check the permission?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA101029181033.aspx

For this kind of issue, we may have little troubleshooting steps on Excel
application end, you may contact IRM/RMS engineer to check if there is a
way to get the document back.

Thank you for your understanding, hope the issue can be figured out soon.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: "Brian" <bria...@noemail.noemail>
| Subject: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:16:41 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup

Brian

Nov 19, 2009, 11:35:24 AM11/19/09
Hello Daisy,
I am using Windows XP.
I cannot open the edit permissions window without first being able to open
the file itself - - which I cannot.
How do I get in contact with an IRM/RMS engineer? I do not see a newsgroup
or forum for this subject.
Thank you,
Brian
""Daisy Cao [MSFT]"" <v-da...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Message has been deleted

SangYun Won

Nov 19, 2009, 3:32:38 PM11/19/09
Hi Brian,

I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
2009 (Australia Time)
I am discussing with Microsoft support team at the moment.

Have you got any solution for this?

Thanks,
Steve

Message has been deleted

Brian

Nov 19, 2009, 3:54:22 PM11/19/09
Nothing yet.
There is another user on the microsoft.public.office.misc newsgroup who had
the exaxt same problem at about the same day as well.

"SangYun Won" <sangy...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi Brian,
>
> I have the exactly same problem with you. And it started from Nov 18,
> 2009

Paul E. Brown Jr.

Nov 19, 2009, 4:42:03 PM11/19/09
I also have this problem and I posted it to the General Forum. No reply other
than the one saying someone else has this problem.

This cant be a coincidence that so many have it, starting on the same day.

If anyone finds a result, let us all know.

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Nov 20, 2009, 1:38:18 AM11/20/09

Hi Brian, Steve, Paul,

If you all got the issue recently, please help check if you have Automatic
Update enabled, some times, the update may be conflict to some third party
software on your machine and cause unexpected result. You may remove all
updates for Windows and Office after the day that the issue occurred, if
there is any update, don't hesitate to reply here, I will report the issue
immediately for you.

Thank you for the time and effort the issue, hope we can figure out the
root cause soon.

Regards,

Daisy Cao
MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA
Microsoft Online Partner Support

[NOTICE] This Partner Online Technical Support community has been migrated
to the new Forum technology. Now, you can submit new tech issues to the
POTC on Forum whilst the "New" option will be removed from NNTP newsgroup.
If you still have threads in troubleshooting on the previous NNTP
newsgroup, you can continue following them up on NNTP newsgroup until every
thread is solved. The landing page on the partner portal is at
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories and the first-time user
guide is at http://partner.microsoft.com/40058790. If you have any
questions or encounter any difficulties when loading the POTC on Forum,
please send email to pn...@microsoft.com.

that others may learn and benefit from this issue.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no right

--------------------
| From: "Brian" <bria...@noemail.noemail>
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:54:22 -0500

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup

Steve Won

Nov 20, 2009, 4:21:40 AM11/20/09
Hi Daisy,

I've actually installed new Windows XP S2 + Office 7 ultimate. And
there were no additional updates.
It means, the system is a fresh condition without any recent updates.
Unfortunately, the result was the same.

By the way, when I installed my credentials into the new system again,
it says that I can only use the same credentials for 28 computers and
now I left only 1 time.
what does this mean?

Thanks,
Steve

On Nov 20, 5:38 pm, v-dai...@online.microsoft.com ("Daisy Cao [MSFT]")

Paul E. Brown Jr.

Nov 20, 2009, 10:34:05 AM11/20/09
Daisy,

I checked updates and I have none between the date of last file access and
the problem occurring.

I am running Windows 7 and Office 2007 on the machine the file was created
on.

I also copied the file to my flash drive and tried to open it on my laptop
running Windows 7 and Office 2010 Beta with the same result.

I also tried to open it on a Windows XP / Office 2007 machine with the same
result.

If there is anything else you can think of trying, I will be game.

Paul E. Brown Jr., MCITP, MCSE

Martensen@discussions.microsoft.com Rodrigo Martensen

Nov 20, 2009, 4:33:02 PM11/20/09
Daisy,

The only update I received before November 18th was the Definition Update
for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.69.995.0), but it run a few
minutes earlier than my last use of my protected excel file (it run 8:02 a.m.
and my last access to my excel file was 8:30 a.m.). Is It possible that this
caused caused problems after reboot?

I don't think so...

obicanubi

Nov 20, 2009, 9:56:03 PM11/20/09

obicanubi

Nov 20, 2009, 10:04:01 PM11/20/09
I have the same problem starting on 11/18/2009 - I tried to open a number of
files that were protected with my live passport. One of them was opened
everyday, being that it holds passwords. I had a saved image of a virtual
machine with one of my protected file in it. I booted that one, there is no
way something changed from 2 weeks ago and the auto updates are not on in
that VM. When I opened the file I got the same issue. The issue is that
something changed in the IRM server where Office connects to check the
credentials against. To sum it up, Microsoft took my access to my own files.
I don't like the situation I'm in right now.

Steve Won

Nov 21, 2009, 2:12:40 AM11/21/09
Hi there,

It seems this problem has been created by Microsoft system on Nov 18,
2009.
The impact of this problem should be similar to the one caused by
HOTMAIL service few years ago that a lot of hotmail users lost their
emails and contacts which hotmail server had kept due to the system
error at Microsoft.

At the moment, many people including myself can't access the documents
which have been used for a long time due to this problem.
The fact that we have used Microsoft IRM for our documents explains
that how important our documents having IRM function are for our work
and life.

I really would like to know whether Microsoft can fix this as this
problem is related to encryption technology.
Could someone explain whether it can be fixed by Microsoft or the
chance is low as Microsoft is not capable of fixing this issue due to
the lack of technology or etc although they created this system/
service?

If they can't fix this, I will have to believe that the time will come
soon when Robots can control human due to the system error human
created which was shown in I-Robot Movie.

Thanks,
Steve

williamwza

Nov 21, 2009, 5:13:01 PM11/21/09
Add me to the list of users who are experiencing this very serious problem.

"Brian" wrote:

> .

Andrew

Nov 22, 2009, 11:38:01 AM11/22/09
I also have the same problem.. I would like to knwo if this issue can be
fixed.??

"Steve Won" wrote:

> .

DKS

Nov 23, 2009, 10:37:02 AM11/23/09
Add me too the list of user who are experiencing the very same problem. I am
using Windows XP Office 2003 and opening this same file very week and now
suddenly it is not opening with no credentials failure. I have tried copying
the file to another computer and still the same problem ;-(

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Nov 24, 2009, 5:26:09 AM11/24/09

Hello all,

I can understand the inconvenience you all experienced, it seems the issue
is caused by the HOTMAIL service.

Since we usually support Excel application here, we are not know much about
this service that using live passport to protect excel, could you let me
send me more information such as the page you know the service and how to
configure, I will try to find out which department involves in this issue
and try to contact them directly.

Thank you, I am looking forward to learn more about this service.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: Steve Won <sangy...@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:21:40 -0800 (PST)

| <uKkF8pV...@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>
<XATLNwaa...@TK2MSFTNGHUB02.phx.gbl>

Steve Won

Nov 24, 2009, 5:23:23 PM11/24/09
Daisy,

This problem should be supported by an IRM expert/development team in
Microsoft.
They should know exactly what we're talking about if they read the
articles in this newsgroup.
I can't believe people can't get a proper support from Microsoft for
the critical problems like this caused by Microsoft for almost 1
week.
Would Microsoft start taking an action if this issue comes up on the
news next to the Windows 7 commercial?

By the way, you can simply try to use IRM service for your excel
document through putting "restrict access" function on it, then you'll
understand what it is.

Thanks,
Steve

pinsinhung...@discussions.microsoft.com

Nov 24, 2009, 11:00:02 PM11/24/09
I have the same problem,I think the error is MS Hoamail server
No body can help us ?

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Nov 25, 2009, 4:18:48 AM11/25/09

Hi Brian & Steve,

I tried to contact other engineers to see if they have encounter this
specific issue. It seems the issue does not related to the Excel
application (it could be reproduced on any machine), it seems more related
to the .net passport.

I also find it is a trial service and services description in the agreement:

Services Description. You may use the Services to authenticate your user
account using your Windows Live ID and a rights account certificate
assigned to you. Once established as a valid user and your credentials
confirmed, you may use the Services to protect or use rights-protected
content. You are solely responsible for determining the appropriateness of
using the Services, and assume all risks associated with using the
Services, including but not limited to risks and costs of program errors,
compliance with applicable laws, damage to or loss of programs or
equipment, and unavailability or interruption of operations.

We did understand the document are important and we will try our best to
provide some information that may help us open the document again.

First, let's directly contact MSN support for the Windows Live ID to see if
they can provide any fix.

https://support.msn.com/

Also, let's try:

1. If we protect a new document with the .net passport, will it work?

2. Please change your Windows Live ID password to test the issue.

Hope the steps would be helpful to narrow down the root cause.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------

| From: Steve Won <sangy...@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup

| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:23:23 -0800 (PST)

| posting-account=lTIjrAoAAABXP4HP-nfO1OPkkItwzCw2
| Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR
| 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4;
| OfficeLivePatch.1.3; SLCC1; Tablet PC 2.0; MS-RTC LM
8),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

Ollie Maitland

Nov 25, 2009, 5:09:32 AM11/25/09
It is hard to believe that something like this actually has not become
a wider problem. Afterall this is likely to mean that people are not
able to access those documents that are most important to them.

For the general information I too am experiencing authentication
failure through files protected by IRM using the MSN Passport
services. Changing the password did not help with the document
protected before 18th November.

Creating a new document does, however, work and can be reopened.

The issue appears to be restricted to documents created with Passport
credentials prior to the 18th November.

Any references to other resources would be gratefully received!

Steve Won

Nov 25, 2009, 8:11:39 AM11/25/09
Hi Daisy,

In regard to "the a trial service and services description in the
agreement" you addressed, I do not believe that it is appropriate to
try to protect Microsoft with using this for particularly this issue.

/// Imagine ABC motors company gave 100 cars to 100 people as a
promotion for 100 days trial.
These new cars use a technology which is a two verification process to
turn on the engine.
Verfication process includes the use of a key and the driver's
fingerprint which needs to be verfied from the central server. And
this remote fingerprint verification method has been used in the
industry for a long time.
So, some people drove this car to the desert and some went to the
Amazon jungle.

Suddenly after 20 days, the keys for 100 cars don't work due to the
fingerprint verification process failing, so they can't drive the cars
any more.
They might die there because they can't escape from the desert and
jungle without the cars moving.//

It might be true that they shouldn't go to the desert and jungle with
100 days promotion trial cars.
However, what would you expect from ABC motors company for this
situation?

I believe the answer is simple. They have to do their best to try to
save people without trying to protect their position as the impact of
this failure is huge.

So, WHAT IS MICROSOFT DOING since NOV 18?

Thanks,
Steve

avk789

Nov 25, 2009, 8:29:33 PM11/25/09

Thank you all for keeping the issue alive.. the more people like us
join on this better is the chance to get the result.

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Nov 26, 2009, 6:35:04 AM11/26/09

Hi Steve,

I understand you have contacted our premium support and the support
engineer once contact me to discuss the urgent issue. He is also busy to
finding a person could be help as we all focus on Excel application and
have little knowledge for IRM service and .net passport (windows live ID).

Thank you for your understanding and hope we can find a person soon to take
responsibility of the issue.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------

| From: Steve Won <sangy...@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup

| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file
| Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:11:39 -0800 (PST)

posting-host=220.245.203.198;
| posting-account=lTIjrAoAAABXP4HP-nfO1OPkkItwzCw2
| Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR
| 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4;
| OfficeLivePatch.1.3; SLCC1; Tablet PC 2.0; MS-RTC LM
8),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

Will@discussions.microsoft.com C Will

Nov 26, 2009, 7:20:01 AM11/26/09

C Will

Nov 26, 2009, 7:20:46 AM11/26/09
Same problem; same questions.

Steve Won

Nov 26, 2009, 5:10:57 PM11/26/09
Hi Daisy,

It is hard to believe that this issue hasn't been delivered to the
right person within Microsoft yet.

Who is supposed to have a responsibility in Microsoft organization
when IRM service fails?
Even small company who operates DRM/IRM service will know the answer
for this kind of question immediately.

Although hotmail and IRM services are free to public, this should be
the service that Microsoft provides/maintains as part of their
business activity.
So, wouldn't Microsoft need to take a Disater Recovery plan to handle
this issue? as one of the Microsoft's business function doesn't work
properly now?

Imagine, ABC bank's internet banking and ATM system doesn't work which
are usually free service to customer.
People hasn't been able to access their account through internet and
ATM machine for 8 days. What action should ABC bank take in this
situation?

High level action must be taken immediately and institutionally to
resolve this issue not only for customers but also for Microsoft
itself.
Please Microsoft, take this issue serioulsy and report this issue to
senior management who can initiate/take the right action for this
issue before customers contact them instead.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve Won

Nov 26, 2009, 9:36:52 PM11/26/09
Shouldn't Microsoft stop IRM service now unitl this issue is fixed in
orde to prevent creating new victims?

There will be a lot of people who have subscribed this IRM service
since Nov 18 and many of them wouldn't know that they are exposed to
this kind of high risk.

CHEW

Nov 29, 2009, 1:26:01 PM11/29/09
Same problem here. I can not access Excel files that I have been accessing
almost daily for a very long time.

opdan

Dec 1, 2009, 3:14:01 AM12/1/09
I have the same problem. It looks like so many people are affected why
Microsoft is not addressing that?

jflarmour

Dec 1, 2009, 7:46:01 AM12/1/09

"Steve Won" wrote:

> .

jflarmour

Dec 1, 2009, 7:47:01 AM12/1/09

"Steve Won" wrote:

> .

I am also seeing this problem in both EXCEL2003 and 2007

jmyers06

Dec 1, 2009, 8:10:01 AM12/1/09
I am having the same issue and have had it since the 18th of Nov. I
understand that this is not an Excel problem, but could someone please engage
an IRM engineer to come read the damn post and the many others that are out
there? This is a a real issue with a service that MS provides. The "trial"
bit is BS since I have been using the service for 3 or 4 years now. No, I do
not pay for it, but I do support MS when I purchase Win 7 Office 07 and all
the other rMS products I pay to use.

Pleas, please, PLEASE someone put this in the hands of the group that
supports this trial service.

I willl discontinue the use of this service as soon as I am able to unlock
the documents that I already have using it.

Brian

Dec 1, 2009, 11:02:49 AM12/1/09
Hello all,
I had one of our admins open a critical support issue with a Microsoft
engineer. Here is the text of the last email we receibed--

Here's the official response from the RMS dev team:

We have recently become aware of an issue with Microsoft Information Rights
Management Trial Service. Some users may not be able to open protected
content that use this service. Please note that Enterprise customers using
their own internal RMS 1.0 and AD RMS infrastructure are not affected by
this issue.

We have isolated the root cause of this issue. To resolve this, we need to
make a change to the Microsoft Information Rights Management Trial Service.
Please rest assured that your content will continue to be accessible after
this change is in place.

It is the RMS team's top priority to bring this issue to resolution. We
will need to devote additional development and test time to ensure a high
quality fix . We estimate that we can address the issue which requires the
development and testing of a fix within the next few weeks.

We sincerely apologize for the disruption this issue has caused and will
provide any updates ASAP.

I'll keep you informed of any updates as they occur, please let me know if
you have any questions or concerns.

All I have right now...

"Brian" <bria...@noemail.noemail> wrote in message

Daisy Cao [MSFT]

Dec 2, 2009, 5:29:44 AM12/2/09

Hi Steve,

I understand you have contacted our premium support David, as far I know,
David have tried to contact IRM service support for you, you may also share
the information here from David.

In addition, please try the suggestions to narrow down the problem and also
directly contact MSN support.

https://support.msn.com/

1. If we protect a new document with the .net passport, will it work?

2. Please change your Windows Live ID password to test the issue.

We support Excel application here and we are not the right place for this
specific issue regarding IRM and I appreciate your understanding and
directly contact MSN support.

Regards,

Daisy Cao

Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: Steve Won <sangy...@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
| Subject: Re: IRM Permission Disappeared in .xls file

| Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:36:52 -0800 (PST)

posting-host=220.245.203.198;
| posting-account=lTIjrAoAAABXP4HP-nfO1OPkkItwzCw2
| Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR
| 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.4;
| OfficeLivePatch.1.3; SLCC1; Tablet PC 2.0; MS-RTC LM
8),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

vm63

Dec 2, 2009, 11:57:01 AM12/2/09
It would appear Microsoft have fixed the problem. I am now able to access my
files again. I think I'll remove the permissions and think of another way of
protecting my files.

avk789

Dec 9, 2009, 10:54:33 PM12/9/09
On 26 Nov, 20:35, v-dai...@online.microsoft.com ("Daisy Cao [MSFT]")
wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I understand you have contacted our premium support and the support
> engineer once contact me to discuss the urgent issue. He is also busy to
> finding a person could be help as we all focus onExcelapplication and
> have little knowledge forIRMservice and .net passport (windows live ID).

> Thank you for your understanding and hope we can find a person soon to take
> responsibility of the issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daisy Cao
>
> Microsoft Online Support
> Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

> --------------------
> | From: Steve Won <sangyun....@gmail.com>
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.setup
> | Subject: Re:IRMPermission Disappeared in .xlsfile

> | Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 05:11:39 -0800 (PST)
> | Organization:http://groups.google.com

Hey Guys the problem is Resolved.. Thank you All

avk789

Dec 13, 2009, 7:45:04 PM12/13/09
> Hey Guys the problem is Resolved.. Thank you All- Hide quoted text -

Well the problem is back.. but with a different message.. I should
have removed the restrictions on these files... again back to squar
one..