Excel stealing focus

Akshay

Oct 22, 2003, 2:34:33 PM10/22/03
Hi all,

I've searched far and wide for this for the past 2 months (off and on) and
have yet to find a logical answer/solution.

The problem, as far as I can tell, arises from having a lot of data being
refreshed at a fairly high rate (real time stock data, etc). I have Excel
with automatic calculation, and I have set up TweakUI properly to disallow
the stealing of focus.

Here are some odds and ends to this problem. Excel will only steal focus
from another Office application if and only if you click on the office
application while Excel is in focus. This means that if Excel is in focus,
then you click on a Non-Office app, then click on Outlook, Excel will not
steal focus. It is very peculiar and very repeatable at all the computers
here, and it is quite annoying because Excel will steal focus from another
Excel or Outlook every 1/2 second to 1 second and makes switching between
applications a real nuisance.

I will give more details as I find them.

Has anyone seen this before? Or have any idea how to work around it?

Thanks,
Akshay

BrianB

Oct 23, 2003, 3:41:42 AM10/23/03
Can you set the Application.visible property to False with code?

Regards
BrianB
=====================================

Akshay

Oct 23, 2003, 8:15:10 AM10/23/03
"BrianB" <Brian...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Can you set the Application.visible property to False with code?

I don't want the application to be hidden. Most of us use 2 monitors, and
some have 3 and 4. We also like to view several spreadsheets at the same
time, which is the ultimate goal, so making it hidden is not really an
option. I also thought about turning automatic calculations to manual when
the application looses focus, but I seem to be having trouble catching that
event, and that also is not the prefered solution (albeit temporary would
suffice for now)

-akshay

Akshay

Oct 24, 2003, 8:47:59 AM10/24/03
I have found more information on this problem. It's been confirmed that this
happens by other people in other companies, and they've noted that this only
occurs in Office XP. 2000 works just fine and doesn't cause problems.

I really hope that someone from MSFT is reading this, because this has got
to be one of the most annoying bugs ever!

-akshay