Can you lock the column width?

Nightshade

Oct 21, 2009, 1:18:03 PM10/21/09
I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
the column. Is this possible?

Jacob Skaria

Oct 21, 2009, 1:24:01 PM10/21/09
--Select the range of cells in which the user needs to be allowed to enter
data. Right click>Protection tab>uncheck 'Locked
--From menu>Tools>Protection>Protect sheet. From the list allow everything
except 'format columns' and 'format rows'
--Hit OK (If you need you can assign a password..)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

andrey...@solvay.com

Sep 25, 2013, 2:03:28 AM9/25/13
Thanks Jacob, that solved the issue!

--
*This message and any attachments is intended for the named addressee(s)
only and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential. If
you receive this message in error, please delete it and immediately notify
the sender. Any copying, dissemination or disclosure, either whole or
partial, by a person who is not the named addressee is prohibited. We use
virus scanning software but disclaim any liability for viruses or other
devices which remain in this message or any attachments.
*******************************
Ce message, ainsi que toute piece jointe, est exclusivement adresse au(x)
destinataire(s) nomme(s) et peut contenir des informations confidentielles.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir
immediatement l'emetteur. Toute copie, transmission ou divulgation,
integrale ou partielle, par une personne qui n'est pas nommee comme
destinataire est interdite. Nous utilisons un logiciel anti-virus mais nous
denions toute responsabilite au cas ou des virus, ou tout autre procede,
seraient contenus dans ce message ou toute piece jointe.*

syaifull...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2013, 11:33:18 PM10/1/13
Pada Kamis, 22 Oktober 2009 0:18:03 UTC+7, Nightshade menulis:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

thanx guys! verry helpful

dabosk...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2014, 6:11:43 AM11/27/14
Thanks Jacob, you just saved me hours that would have been wasted on trial and error.

aa1...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2015, 12:38:45 PM1/30/15
This worked perfectly. Thanks bud!

hira.s...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2015, 2:22:16 AM3/20/15
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 10:48:03 PM UTC+5:30, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

Thanks Jacob

SC

Apr 13, 2015, 10:48:20 AM4/13/15
Brilliant. Thank you!

fn8tt0

Apr 13, 2015, 11:21:40 AM4/13/15
Has something changed here in the UI? When I follow your path, I don't see an option to selectively choose what can or cannot be edited by other users...

Message has been deleted

fn8tt0

Apr 13, 2015, 11:48:19 AM4/13/15
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 7:18:03 PM UTC+2, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

What I mean: In Menu > Tools > Protect Sheet I get to an interface entitled "Protected Sheets and ranges", and if I click on "Set Permissions" I only see/am able to add/delete people, but I cannot finetune WHAT these people are allowed to edit or not....

any help would be much appreciated. I want to lock the column widths in my sheet, but nothing else (i.e. collaborators should be able to insert data into cells, but not change column widths)

GS

Apr 13, 2015, 1:37:38 PM4/13/15
> What I mean: In Menu > Tools > Protect Sheet I get to an interface
> entitled "Protected Sheets and ranges", and if I click on "Set
> Permissions" I only see/am able to add/delete people, but I cannot
> finetune WHAT these people are allowed to edit or not....
>
> any help would be much appreciated. I want to lock the column widths
> in my sheet, but nothing else (i.e. collaborators should be able to
> insert data into cells, but not change column widths)

These options are not where you're looking, which is in *user
permissions*! You need to configure the options in the 'Protect Sheet'
dialog.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

ryan.m...@zomato.com

Apr 30, 2015, 5:14:41 AM4/30/15
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 7:18:03 PM UTC+2, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

fn8tto did you come right?

I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

--

Now in 22 countries
Download Zomato: iOS

This email is intended only for the person or the entity to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email
and contact the sender.

GS

Apr 30, 2015, 11:29:30 AM4/30/15
> I dont know what GS means and i still cant lock column width.

Protect the Sheet and while there, set the options for what users are
allowed to do!

so confused

May 8, 2015, 4:35:18 PM5/8/15
I don't think this works anymore. I'm not seeing any of those options at all

GS

May 8, 2015, 8:39:42 PM5/8/15
In 2007 and later:
Review tab > Changes group > Protect Sheet
and set your options in the dialog that displays.

In older versions:
Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet...

Don Guillett

May 9, 2015, 9:17:39 AM5/9/15
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

What is your excel version. What happens that makes you want to protect width?
Should all be the same or different widths for different columns? EXAMPLES

jeffrey...@gmail.com

May 15, 2015, 10:19:07 AM5/15/15
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 1:18:03 PM UTC-4, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

I'm having a similar situation where I want to be able to lock Column A to a certain size. The issue is that I have merged cells in rows 1-6, a table of 46 columns and 100 rows, and then ~40 characters of data in column A below the table. I want the table formatted for the info in the cells ignoring the cell data outside the table so when I re-size the table I dont end up with column A with a width of 34 yet only 7 characters of data.

Is this possible?

alec....@gmail.com

Apr 15, 2016, 10:16:57 AM4/15/16
I'm having the same issue. I want to lock column widths so that users can use a macro to print the sheet (rather than giving them complicated instructions on how to repeat the title row at the start of each page), and I need to stop them innocently changing the column widths and thereby spoiling how the printed version comes out. Now, I can lock the columns, but it also prevents the users from editing the contents, which is not what I want. How do I lock column widths but still allow other things to be edited?

My Excel version is 2010

atex...@gmail.com

May 31, 2016, 2:25:39 PM5/31/16
Hi Jacob, I need to protect the size of the rows and columns in order to have no one change the width and height of rows and columns;
Is there any way to do this?
Thanks!

mspri...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2016, 10:48:02 AM11/16/16

llra...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2017, 11:14:03 AM8/10/17
Just in case anyone is still having issues...I just tried it in Excel 2013 and it works:

I selected the entire print area to start. Then I Right click>Protection tab>uncheck 'Locked.
With the selection still highlighted...Click on >REVIEW tab>Protect sheet. From the list allow everything except 'format columns'

db92...@sbbearcats.net

Sep 26, 2017, 3:22:58 PM9/26/17
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 11:18:03 AM UTC-6, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

cunts

--
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and
confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual

kami....@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2017, 12:43:36 PM12/5/17
On Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 12:18:03 PM UTC-5, Nightshade wrote:
> I would like to lock the column width, but still allow data to be entered in
> the column. Is this possible?

I tried this however if I get the column widths locked, I cannot type into any of the cells. I have Windows 2010.

Andreas Dharmawan

Oct 11, 2020, 11:42:14 PM10/11/20
Hi, this is an old thread. I can't find the "the list allow everything except 'format columns' and 'format rows'" option.

Is it possible the feature been removed?

Keith Worrell

Apr 27, 2022, 6:04:01 PM4/27/22
This feature appears to have been removed. :'(